Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Breaking news: Reports of explosion in Manchester

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
Make me laugh these do, to compare this generation of the British public to those of WW2

This generation wouldn't last 5 minutes against the Nazis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you read personal accounts from WW2 (diary entries/ battlefield poems etc) you will clearly see that they felt the exact same emotions as we do. Sure, they were brought up in tougher conditions and were regarded as holding strong stoic attitudes, but to say my generation wouldn't cope well against the nazi's is taking the pis...wait, ffs, my internet is so slow here in this remote country pub- it's saying 3G instead of the 4G i'm paying for! Need to call my provider and get back to you. I'm fuming.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I notice that you and a few others are mentioning Trump here but as much as I dislike him, I don't think he's directly culpable. He has zero influence over newspapers like the NY Times who are acting almost as opposition to him. The security services also aren't at his beck and call in the same way that someone like Bush Snr had them (no surprises given his CIA links).

I suspect that news reporting is a bit like the Wild West over there in the States at the moment and the newspapers are keen to bag a scoop without US Government interference. Their audience is not the UK so they don't care about British sensitivities here.

In short, for once I don't think you can blame Trump for this except for perhaps fostering the climate from which this is now coming.

Happened on his watch.

As well as his discussions with the Russians, he has now told the President of the Philippines the location of 2 American nuclear subs (as well as congratulating him on his drug clampdown). There is therefore a climate where keeping secrets is not a priority,

If the President is known to leak, others are less inclined to keep quiet.

I also wonder what the fall out would be if the roles were reversed.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
If you read personal accounts from WW2 (diary entries/ battlefield poems etc) you will clearly see that they felt the exact same emotions as we do. Sure, they were brought up in tougher conditions and were regarded as holding strong stoic attitudes, but to say my generation wouldn't cope well against the nazi's is taking the pis...wait, ffs, my internet is so slow here in this remote country pub- it's saying 3G instead of the 4G i'm paying for! Need to call my provider and get back to you. I'm fuming.

#prayingforyour4G

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Happened on his watch.

As well as his discussions with the Russians, he has now told the President of the Philippines the location of 2 American nuclear subs (as well as congratulating him on his drug clampdown). There is therefore a climate where keeping secrets is not a priority,

If the President is known to leak, others are less inclined to keep quiet.

I also wonder what the fall out would be if the roles were reversed.

So Trump spoke to the Russian's about bomb laptop threats when in March there was a laptop travel ban. Errrrh hardly top secret ??? And warning of laptop bombs on Russian planes is hardly a threat to our security is it?

The leaks that have come out about this suicide bomber is far more of a breach of trust, probably via the CIA whilst Trump is nowhere near the US.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
ed593ac3f58a30a35beca0e2321e1ea6.jpg

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
So Trump spoke to the Russian's about bomb laptop threats when in March there was a laptop travel ban. Errrrh hardly top secret ???

The Israelis seem to have a different view:-

Israeli Intelligence Furious Over Trump's Loose Lips

Israel Changed Intelligence Sharing With U.S. After Trump Comments to Russians

He even doubled-down on his stupidity by blurting out and confirming that the intelligence had, in fact, come from Israel (something that no officials from either country had confirmed) - Watch Netanyahu's face while Trump says he never mentioned “Israel” to the Russians

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Make me laugh these do, to compare this generation of the British public to those of WW2

Yes, they would. Just because they haven't seen war close up doesn't mean they wouldn't know what to do if it came to it. What did you do in the war, grandad?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

I remember an old soldier being asked whether our younger generation would show such conviction and bravery in the face of such an enemy.

The interviewer must have been surprised when he answered "Yes".

And, yes, I think they would too.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Yes, they would. Just because they haven't seen war close up doesn't mean they wouldn't know what to do if it came to it. What did you do in the war, grandad?

Health and Safety laws wouldn't allow a new world war, silly...
Can you imagine the mother of all risk assessments ever getting passed?!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

That's a news report from last month. Is this the bit where you accuse us of hypocrisy because we didn't all comment on that particular atrocity? If so, why? I'm sure you're aware that the type of news that anyone will notice and be affected by will depend on proximity, personal connections and how frequently it happens. It's why the Shoreham disaster was a much bigger "deal" to us in Sussex than those who don't live locally. It's just human nature to react in the way people are on this thread compared to how they react to similar news from a foreign country.

I may have missed it but I've done a search and can't find any mention of that news item from you at the time. If I've misinterpreted the point then apologies but I think you're on shaky ground here.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

Deluded AND Clueless .

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The Israelis seem to have a different view:-

Israeli Intelligence Furious Over Trump's Loose Lips

Israel Changed Intelligence Sharing With U.S. After Trump Comments to Russians

He even doubled-down on his stupidity by blurting out and confirming that the intelligence had, in fact, come from Israel (something that no officials from either country had confirmed) - Watch Netanyahu's face while Trump says he never mentioned “Israel” to the Russians

I can't watch twitter videos. I don't know what went on but he may not have mentioned Israel, the person that leaked it said it was Israeli intel. Cat was out of the bag by then.

And as I said we had a laptop ban in March anyway so this was in the public domain in reality, not top secret.

Trump needs permission fart these days.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Just seen the interview with the cowards dad, not hard to understand where his views subliminally came from or at very least started from.

It won't be long before the police and security services are vilified for not picking him up sooner, those wishing to have a go at them please remember how many potential people they are watching or have watched and in turn these people go to extrondary lengths to be under the radar.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Just seen the interview with the cowards dad, not hard to understand where his views subliminally came from or at very least started from.

It won't be long before the police and security services are vilified for not picking him up sooner, those wishing to have a go at them please remember how many potential people they are watching or have watched and in turn these people go to extrondary lengths to be under the radar.

They have probably got hundreds if not thousands under surveillance in some shape or form.

The trouble is that our system is restricted by the law and human rights. Personally I wouldn’t have a problem with tagging everyone under suspicion of having extremist views or contacts but that would be Islamaphobic.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here