Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Breaking news: Reports of explosion in Manchester

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Since you think religion is the problem, what do you want to do? Ban it? I am an athiest and I am quite relaxed about religion. The lad on radio 5 tonight, supporting the local community in Manchester, even though he's a Libyan muslim, resonates with that. Religion is not the problem. It is people.

Solution then?
Ban people!
I don't think it is acceptable that someone 'known to the security services' should be running about at large right now.
How many people are 'known to the security services' and how many of them know they are known? If it's a handful, it's manageable to be a bit draconian, but if it's thousands it's not easy to lock them all up without some proper evidence.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
SO WE ALL NEED TO BE VIGILANT and encourage everyone else to be.

I'm not sure what it is we need to be more vigilant about. That is why I am wary of reports of various states of alert.

If anyone sees suspicious activity they should report it- we've known that from the days of the IRA campaigns which were more frequent than this.

The word 'vigilant' concerns me though as its context lends itself to different interpretation. When the IRA were bombing parts of the country our lives just continued as normal. Does this vigilance mean making assumptions about certain groups in society ? Only that is what I am getting from some folk, even in here.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I'm not sure what it is we need to be more vigilant about. That is why I am wary of reports of various states of alert.

If anyone sees suspicious activity they should report it- we've known that from the days of the IRA campaigns which were more frequent than this.

The word 'vigilant' concerns me though as its context lends itself to different interpretation. When the IRA were bombing parts of the country our lives just continued as normal. Does this vigilance mean making assumptions about certain groups in society ? Only that is what I am getting from some folk, even in here.

If you are concerned about being vigilant then just don't bother .

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well, many of these terrorists are radicals because of their teachings, this has been highlighted by programmes on C4 for instance. Has anything really been done to close down these sources?. How long has it taken to arrest Choudary for example, his teachings attributed to the death of Drummer Rigby and possibly others. It has been put out that more than a dozen ex ISIS fighters have returned to the area around where the exposition went off, why were they allowed to just to "blend" in. How long has it taken to get rid of known radicals like Hamza. Even the ISIS flag is allowed to be flown on marches.
Tolerance and being frightened to upset a certain community has not helped those youngsters and others who have lost their lives.
Are we getting any trouble or deaths from any other religion/ideology in this country. I care more for the dead than upsetting those that cause it.
I think you mix sensible points with religious xenophobia, so your constructive debate gets lost.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If you are concerned about being vigilant then just don't bother .

It's a natural part of our lives to note suspicious activity. It is an inherited trait to assume suspicion on the basis of someone's creed or colour.

When I was a child I was told to be wary of black people, I was told to not trust the Irish. Those days are gone and I am no worse for throwing off those indoctrinations.

I refuse to add another cloak of prejudice and invite anyone to give true reason as to why I should. For this, for some, is where it is leading.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
oh right, so you think it is acceptable that the flag of ISIS is allowed to be flown in marches on British soil?
It depends if the authorities are allowing it so that they can gather information on those marching with it. If they're not, and it's just us being tolerant, then no, I don't think it's acceptable, and in my view it breaks the law of preaching hate. But I imagine our security services can use these marches to help stop attacks, which has got to be worth it, has it not?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It's a natural part of our lives to note suspicious activity. It is an inherited trait to assume suspicion on the basis of someone's creed or colour.

When I was a child I was told to be wary of black people, I was told to not trust the Irish. Those days are gone and I am no worse for throwing off those indoctrinations.

I refuse to add another cloak of prejudice and invite anyone to give true reason as to why I should. For this, for some, is where it is leading.

Everyone just needs to do their own risk assessment in any given situation. The results will be different for you than others. I'm sure that's fine.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
A reasoned and intelligent insight.

Unfortunately there are people with far right views that want to combine the approach in 1930s Germany with that of 1950s America and segerate Muslims from our society by placing them in walled ghettos with identification emblems on all clothing and require them to travel separately etc. All in the name of safety of course.

Sounds similar to the Pact of Umar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pact_of_Umar

These are the rules the Christians and Jews had to live under when under Muslim control. Make no mistake that this is Sharia and 1,400 years before Hitler.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Being vigilant doesn't mean being suspicious of anyone without white skin. It means when you enter a public place, say a theatre, note your escape route, if you work somewhere that needs ID make sure your ID is secure, make sure people don't follow you through a security door etc etc

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Being vigilant doesn't mean being suspicious of anyone without white skin

Alas, it does for some.

It means when you enter a public place, say a theatre, note your escape route If you work somewhere that needs ID make sure your ID is secure, make sure people don't follow you through a security door etc etc

Agreed.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Being vigilant doesn't mean being suspicious of anyone without white skin. It means when you enter a public place, say a theatre, note your escape route, if you work somewhere that needs ID make sure your ID is secure, make sure people don't follow you through a security door etc etc

Not the way i see it i'm afraid. Being vigilant to me means looking out for suspicious behaviour or activity. Like someone wearing a long coat on a hot day.
Rightly so that men with beards or muslims will fall under the spotlight more. That's the nature of the beast.

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters

If we had more vigilance then more be reported and the police and security services job would be made easier. That's nothing to do with groups it's about people reporting suspicious circumstances. It would help them be on the front foot more.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
This investigation seems to be farcical with the US and French authorities having a case of the verbal diarrhoea. The US authorities cant help themselves.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
If we had more vigilance then more be reported and the police and security services job would be made easier. That's nothing to do with groups it's about people reporting suspicious circumstances. It would help them be on the front foot more.

I agree re vigilance and being alert but it could, feasibly, get to a point where profiling starts to happen.

Small group of dark-skinned men wearing backpacks chatting together before going their separate ways? Could be any number of things yet some people in society would view that as suspicious and, wanting to be vigilant, would report it. It's tough and it's genuinely distressing that we live in a world where those sorts of thoughts can be entertained.

Also distressing, for me, is the sight of soldiers outside Parliament. A crazy world we live in right now.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
What are they saying?

They originally announced who the killer was whilst our security services were trying to keep it quiet during investigations. Amber Rudd said that was dissapointing.

However, despite the warning from Rudd the US authorities have just confirmed that Salman Abdi's dad warned our security services that he was dangerous.

I mean is that helpful? Why are they leaking all this information to the press during an on-going investigation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here