Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your favourite Prog Rock Band and album

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Ooh, great thread about THE best popular music genre of all time. They've already been mentioned but 'Dark Side of the Moon' and 'Aqualung' for me, probably followed by 'Foxtrot'.

Some great names and memories being evoked here though.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Genesis. - Selling England by the pound

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Disappointed to get this far with no mention of Phaedra by Tangerine Dream.

Also another vote for ...In The Court... by King Crimson. Epitaph is a STUNNING song.

PF go without saying, I love the Pompeii live concert as much as anything. The performance of Echoes at that concert is mesmeric.

For slightly more modern, I would pick The Mars Volta - Deloused In The Comatorium.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
The funny thing is, at the tender age of 36, I own all of the above as vinyl first pressings... now that IS proper PROG. I'm so prog even my let cat likes May Blitz, for Fruup's sake!

At last count my collection has around 600 1968-76 prog/heavy rock LPs... yes; I am that man.

Heh heh...

Fruupp - a lesser known band that I thought only I remembered. Prince of heavens Eyes was a jolly old album.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
The whole back catalogues of Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd,VDGG, Tull, Rush

Too many others to mention but Marillion's Marbles and Haze's C'est La Vie work for me:rock:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Rush are my favourite band of all-time and '2112' stands the test of time as a brilliant concept album.

Also, I can't believe there's not more love on this thread for HAWKWIND! 'Space Ritual', 'Quark, Strangeness and Charm' and 'Sonic Attack' are classics.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
The whole back catalogues of Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd,VDGG, Tull, Rush

Too many others to mention but Marillion's Marbles and Haze's C'est La Vie work for me:rock:

Can't believe how many people only bought the single CD of Marbles and missed this all time classic!

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Ah, plenty to savour here. As so many have ticked off lots of my personal faves - Floyd, Tull, early Genesis, Crimson, Yes and Wishbone Ash (classic rock to my ears, rather than prog, but I'm not quibbling really), here are a couple I haven't seen mentioned yet ...

Patto, featuring the coruscating guitar of Ollie Halsall and the bluesy voice of Mike Patto:

And the splendid Curved Air, who were still on top form at the Ropetackle in Shoreham a year or two back:

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
Some great stuff on this thread.

Not sure it's really prog but Asia were formed as a supergroup combining the talents of the very best Prog bands and I still think that the first Asia album stands up exceedingly well today. They were still fabulous live right up to the recent death of JW.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Some great stuff on this thread.

Not sure it's really prog but Asia were formed as a supergroup combining the talents of the very best Prog bands and I still think that the first Asia album stands up exceedingly well today. They were still fabulous live right up to the recent death of JW.

Agree on Asia - one of my favourites whom I saw at the Summit in Houston 1982.

Can't think of a duff album at like both versions with John Payne too.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Without wishing to suggest that you don't know what you're talking about...........

Then don't. I do.

That said, as I said, he made full use of his ability, and in many cases his bass playing would be much more fitting than some technically much superior bass players. Sometimes less is best - and he was a good example of that.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
20161020_111229.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here