Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ooohhh best thread ever!

Right:

High Tide - s/t

I have both of the first two albums on vinyl. Worth a few bob, apparently.

Well done for your progness, especially at such a tender age. :clap2:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yes, the genre so despised by punks so probably a fair proportion of NSC :smile:

Anyway I will plump for Peter Gabriel's Genesis and particularly the fantastic Sellimg England by the Pound which still sounds as good today as it did in 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rn9tzirks4

When I first saw the thread title, This was what immediately sprang to mind. Wonderful album.

But I also have a soft spot for Foxtrot, especially the 20 minutes of "Supper's ready".

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If it's going to be Genesis, it's Nursery Cryme for me.

Then I'll add a vote for:
Soft Machine - Third;
Van der Graaf Generator - H to He Who Am the Only One;
Amon Duul - Phallus Dei.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Track would be A Fair Judgement from the Deliverance album by Opeth

Album would be Blackwater Park by Opeth

Prog Rock fused with Metal. :rock:

And now I have to listen to Blackwater Park again.

Heritage is a great album too. They drop all the metal and go full prog.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Dark Side of the Prog. Allegedly the last Album Kurt Cobain listened to before he ventilated his head... Not a Radio Friendly Unit Shifter, in retrospect I'm amazed Fripp didn't forbid John Wetton to smile on the Cover Photo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfR6_V91fG8

One of my absolute favourite albums. Starless and Fallen Angel ...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Dark Side of the Prog. Allegedly the last Album Kurt Cobain listened to before he ventilated his head... Not a Radio Friendly Unit Shifter, in retrospect I'm amazed Fripp didn't forbid John Wetton to smile on the Cover Photo.

Well of course John Wetton was smiling - he was a very lucky boy! He was a very basic bass guitarist blessed with a decent voice who time and time again managed to surround himself with top class musicians who did all the clever stuff, while the bass often did not much more than boom out the bass note of the chord being played at the beginning of the bar. Listen to Asia (Steve Howe on guitar, Geoff Downes on keyboards and Carl Palmer on drums - I'd fancy myself on bass with those three doing the business round me!) and you'll see (hear) what I mean.
Good luck to him (sadly not any more though) - he made the best of his talent. How many of us have achieved that?

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Well of course John Wetton was smiling - he was a very lucky boy! He was a very basic bass guitarist blessed with a decent voice who time and time again managed to surround himself with top class musicians who did all the clever stuff, while the bass often did not much more than boom out the bass note of the chord being played at the beginning of the bar. Listen to Asia (Steve Howe on guitar, Geoff Downes on keyboards and Carl Palmer on drums - I'd fancy myself on bass with those three doing the business round me!) and you'll see (hear) what I mean.
Good luck to him (sadly not any more though) - he made the best of his talent. How many of us have achieved that?

Without wishing to suggest that you don't know what you're talking about, I'd have to say that dealing with some of the time signatures in U.K. alone qualifies him as more than decent. Eddie Jobson rated him.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Fripp booted out anyone he didn't rate as musicians in King Crimson so can't agree with this - had more than a decent voice as well...

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The whole Genesis back catalogue, up until Abacab, would qualify.
But if you forced me to choose one it has to be The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.
Not only a prog band at the very height of their game, but a concept album with an unfathomable story on the sleeve.
Absolutely brilliant.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Camembert Electrique - Gong

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here