Votes: 95 55.9%
  • Few days is OK for everything

Votes: 23 13.5%

• Total voters

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Some years ago I worked as a stocktaker for Maynards Social Club and the quality control manager told me that they withdrew the wine gums from supermarkets at the start of the month of their sell by date. They took them back and repackaged them with a code denoting how many times it had been done and they could do that 3 times. Therefore theoretically some wine gums could be nearly 4 years old when sold and it was perfectly legal and the quality not impaired but legislation said that a sell by date could not be more than 12 months away.

2005, a vintage year in the vineyards, would probably ensure real tasty wine gums right now I would guess.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I was a Deli manager in another life and have always abided by 'a few days is okay for everything'
Sometimes even longer.

I'll leave you with a top tip though:
Never buy grated parmesan from a Deli counter.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Our work fridge keeps milk fresh 3 weeks after the supermarket expiry date every time without fail. Bizarre.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
On the use by date all old milk is used in our house either in a milky drink or in a pasta sauce or custard or similar.

Is that a roundabout way of saying we ignore the use by date, because I'm old school and waste nothing even if I get the shits at least I've not wasted anything, it's a great way to use those old out if date diarrhoea tablets too.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Last option needs editing to Few days is OK for everything except Meat/milk
No it doesn't.
Last week I finished up some sausages 1 week past use by date, definitely roasted a chicken that was allegedly poison 48 hours earlier according to the label, used up a rock hard chorizo hiding in the back of the fridge for a time period I dread to specify and while milk never lasts more than two days in my house I opened a large yogurt that was apparently past its best a month earlier but is actually fine even now.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is that a roundabout way of saying we ignore the use by date, because I'm old school and waste nothing even if I get the shits at least I've not wasted anything, it's a great way to use those old out if date diarrhoea tablets too.

Not at all if we have an abundance of milk, which is unusual, wife would cook something that used the milk up as it usually goes off virtually on the use by date,.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Very fussy with meat products or dairy etc but in the main will occasionally stretch past,still no matter what i always smell the stuff,i've known food to go off on the bus journey home in the past and that's after it's been left in a holding cage away from the fridges a touch too long at a certain supermarket (well known) when i worked there in the summer months to get money for college..

I won't mention the bakery (where i did the cleaning) and what....................nah best not you would never eat bread again,that said not put me off. :lolol:

Ron Manager

Oooh, wasn't it?
Sep 14, 2015
Lentil Alley
Very fussy with meat products or dairy etc but in the main will occasionally stretch past,still no matter what i always smell the stuff,i've known food to go off on the bus journey home in the past and that's after it's been left in a holding cage away from the fridges a touch too long at a certain supermarket (well known) when i worked there in the summer months to get money for college..

I won't mention the bakery (where i did the cleaning) and what....................nah best not you would never eat bread again,that said not put me off. :lolol:

Saturday job on the deli at a well regarded supermarket, we used to play American Football with the Edams and wash any sawdust covered cheeses under the tap.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Saturday job on the deli at a well regarded supermarket, we used to play American Football with the Edams and wash any sawdust covered cheeses under the tap.

:lolol: Not quite like that,this was more what was in and around the place..

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
One piece of advise, never ever eat cooked rice that could be 'iffy'

It can be a killer.

I used to have to pluck a brace of pheasant , every Monday, for about 8 months of the year. We would hang them for 3 weeks before plucking, and I would often, in warmer weather, have to clean maggots from round their bums.
Not a pleasant job, but, no one who ate them ever got food poisoning.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
According to Royal Marsden Hospital nobody should drink any bottled water as it isnt as pure as the tap water in the Uk. That is what they told my son when his daughter was in there suffering with Myeloid Leukemia.

UK tap water may be many things, 'pure' it most certainly isn't....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
UK tap water may be many things, 'pure' it most certainly isn't....

My grand daughter was given some things she could have and some very taboo. Included in the taboo was bought bottled water of any make or description, ice unless it was made at home from tap water and KFC. The biggest surprise she was told that of the fast food McDonalds was the best as it was kept heated for less time than anything else and in many cases it was cooked while you wait if you asked. Then again what would the countries leading hospital for cancer know about what is or is not good for you. I was prepared to accept their view.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
We buy all our meat, veg and fish at the local market so no use by or best before dates. Just try to use common sense.
It's probably a good job more people don't shop like you as common sense is lacking nowadays

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
I wouldn't eat processed meats like ham in packets after their use by. Or chicken because of the high bacteria content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here