Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Japanese tourists putting Amex on their to-do lists!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Brighton's Amex Stadium where Japan caused the greatest upset in World Cup history with a 34-32 win over two-time world champions South Africa in 2015 has become a magnet for many Japanese tourists.

Paul Barber, chief executive of the promotion chasing second tier Championship football club Brighton, said 20-30 Japanese tourists a week visit the stadium adding it to the usual sight-seeing list of the Tower of London and National Gallery.

South coast resort Brighton is under an hour's train ride from London.

Barber, who was speaking to a small group of journalists after addressing the Sport Industry Breakfast Club, added the tourists were particularly moved to see the club had even installed a plaque where Karne Hesketh scored the try to seal the astonishing win in front of 29,000 spectators.

"We have 20-30 Japanese tourists dropping by the ground wanting to visit the place where their team beat the Springboks," said Barber.

"They love to take photographs and we have some stadium guides who have learnt a smattering of Japanese to help with them.

"They are especially impressed that we have put in a plaque where the try was scored.

We didn't do it for commercial purposes but because it was such an historic sporting moment."

Arguably the victory proved a winner also for hosts England because although they went out embarrassingly in the first round it alerted them to the many talents of then Japan coach Eddie Jones - who has since been drafted in as England coach and has guided them to 15 successive victories since taking over the reins.

170222 Japan celebrate win.jpg

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Brighton's Amex Stadium where Japan caused the greatest upset in World Cup history with a 34-32 win over two-time world champions South Africa in 2015 has become a magnet for many Japanese tourists.

Paul Barber, chief executive of the promotion chasing second tier Championship football club Brighton, said 20-30 Japanese tourists a week visit the stadium adding it to the usual sight-seeing list of the Tower of London and National Gallery.

Barber, who was speaking to a small group of journalists after addressing the Sport Industry Breakfast Club, added the tourists were particularly moved to see the club had even installed a plaque where Karne Hesketh scored the try to seal the astonishing win in front of 29,000 spectators.

"We have 20-30 Japanese tourists dropping by the ground wanting to visit the place where their team beat the Springboks," said Barber.

"They love to take photographs and we have some stadium guides who have learnt a smattering of Japanese to help with them.

"They are especially impressed that we have put in a plaque where the try was scored.

We didn't do it for commercial purposes but because it was such an historic sporting moment."

Arguably the victory proved a winner also for hosts England because although they went out embarrassingly in the first round it alerted them to the many talents of then Japan coach Eddie Jones - who has since been drafted in as England coach and has guided them to 15 successive victories since taking over the reins.

View attachment 85660

Really? Impressive!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
An hours train ride? Today? With the trains fecked?

DerekZoolander

Aug 15, 2011

View attachment 85660

I don't know if it's just me, but I find that quite incredible and such a personal touch. I bet you'd be hard pressed to find another club the 'size' of ours who actually have staff members who have learnt parts of another language to be able to engage with tourists from Japan.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Hmm, interesting that this article should be released today given the rumours about the Japanese transfer target (Genki Haraguchi) on another thread:-

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?352435-Genki-Haraguchi

Are the club trying to tell us something?

No, its an older item that came up while I was googling away!! It was a piece from a business blog not from the club directly. I normally link, but forgot on this occasion.

edit: it was dated 22 Feb-17 http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2017/0...ourists-flock-to-home-of-2015-world-cup-glory

Sorry for any confusion.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
From [MENTION=600]Bry Nylon[/MENTION], NSC post from 06/10/2006:

Gobblers 'traditional Japanese entertainmemt for potential Japanese investor'.....

ching chong China man try to make cow
ching chong China man didn't know how
ching chong China man pull the wrong tit
ching chong china man covered in SHIT

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Couldn't give a toss about rugby but even I was gob smacked when I heard that result. Didn't know they'd put a plaque up. Anyone seen it?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Gobblers 'traditional Japanese entertainmemt for potential Japanese investor'.....

Really?!

Must have been in my 'drinking' phase.... :blush:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

View attachment 85660

Absolutely my favourite game of rugby ever , we went as a family and the atmosphere was amazing at the final whistle.
Then on the bus back to the park & ride up at the racecourse, people started singing "I think I am turning Japanese"

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

'Milk' not 'make' [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Childhood throwback

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Come on it was a classic. Unfortunately Gobbler's turn has been erased from YouTube or I'd have posted it :amex:

No - you're right. I recall it now. At first reading, 11 years later, I thought that was a direct quote of something I had written and posted rather than a quote from Extras. Great scene. I have the box set so I'll be digging that out tonight.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I'm saving up for the clubs pre season tour of Japan next year as we look to build the Albion brand in the orient.

Alternatively it will still be Crawley and a couple of other lower league teams.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here