Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Genki Haraguchi

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I don't think Japanese people are sensitive to being called Jap, are they? To me, it's like us being offended being called Brits...

Even the word Paki wouldn't be a "thing" if it wasn't made to be. I'm from Bradford - and when I was a kid the Pakistani shopkeepers used to laugh and say "you'll always have a Paki shop on Christmas Day if you need owt!"

It was only when idiots used it as an insult it became a "horror word" :0(

A word isn't just a word though. It's all about the historical use and the meaning that it then takes on.

No group of people has ever used Brits as derogatory. The words that you are saying "aren't that bad" hold a slanderous meaning due to their historical use as derogatory terms and are therefore offensive.
Would it really hurt to smash the keyboard a few more times and write 'The Japanese' or 'Pakistanis'?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
If, as it looks like, we're signing another winger then where does that leave the under contract; Murphy, Skalak, Lua Lua let alone March & Knockeart .
especially as Hughton hinting he's not going to stick to 4-4-2 in Prem...

I imagine that we would need 2 wingers in most formations especially in a 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1. The only difference would be the type of winger. I think we will look to play on the counter next season so will need wingers that are able to defend but also have the pace to get forward quickly to support the attack. If we went 4-3-3 then we would be looking at inside forwards as opposed to wingers and I can't see that happening

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You can't say JAP. That's as bad as saying Paki. Come on Hansy , you of all all people.

Aaah - you misunderstood. I wasn't calling him 'A jap'. I was specifically referencing the NATIONALITY of Japanese, by the universally accepted three letter country-code. As OFFENSIVE as writing 'SCO' for Murphy, or 'CZE' for Jiri.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
No group of people has ever used Brits as derogatory...

I can think of Australians, who call us "f*ckin' Brits" and "Pommy B*stards" - but hey...

As I said "Paki Shop" was just a term we used for the local corner shop, run by Pakistanis, back in the early 70's. Not a scrap of malice or hatred was meant or intended, received or perceived. Maybe Bradford was just too multicultural back then?,

Anyway, the OP has explained he was using JAP as we use GB, DK, or IRE on number plates - so we're all friends again. :ascarf:

I think "Har-a-guuu-chiii...." to "have a nice day" is a cracking shout. I hope we sign him on the strength of that alone :laugh:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I can think of Australians, who call us "f*ckin' Brits" and "Pommy B*stards" - but hey...

As I said "Paki Shop" was just a term we used for the local corner shop, run by Pakistanis, back in the early 70's. Not a scrap of malice or hatred was meant or intended, received or perceived. Maybe Bradford was just too multicultural back then?,

Anyway, the OP has explained he was using JAP as we use GB, DK, or IRE on number plates - so we're all friends again. :ascarf:

I'm sure, and those two phrases seem to be an attempt at being derogatory...

Look I'm not saying that anyone is being derogatory here, I'm saying that the terms that you may have used without a scrap of malice or hatred do have a long history of being used as slurs. Words take on different meanings over time. If you used a word in 1970 and didn't do so with any bad intentions that's fine, but now those words are derogatory and incredibly offensive because their usage has changed over time. It doesn't hurt, in this day and age, to use the proper adjective.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
A word isn't just a word though. It's all about the historical use and the meaning that it then takes on.

No group of people has ever used Brits as derogatory. The words that you are saying "aren't that bad" hold a slanderous meaning due to their historical use as derogatory terms and are therefore offensive.
Would it really hurt to smash the keyboard a few more times and write 'The Japanese' or 'Pakistanis'?

abbreviations pure and simple.....

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I don't think Japanese people are sensitive to being called Jap, are they? To me, it's like us being offended being called Brits...

Even the word Paki wouldn't be a "thing" if it wasn't made to be. I'm from Bradford - and when I was a kid the Pakistani shopkeepers used to laugh and say "you'll always have a Paki shop on Christmas Day if you need owt!"

Then there must be a lot of idiots out there.
Sorry to swerve off the thread but it's important.
I get Paki when short for Brit but it is more often than not said with an F word first and usually very derogatory.
More important though is people from India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, or any other Asian country in that area and it is highly offensive to them.
I am afraid that Paki is nothing like Brit.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

Then there must be a lot of idiots out there.
Sorry to swerve off the thread but it's important.
I get Paki when short for Pakistani if meant in the right way, but it is more often than not said with an F word first and usually very derogatory.
More important though is people from India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, or any other Asian country in that area get called Pakis and it is highly offensive to them.
I am afraid that Paki is nothing like Brit.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Aaah - you misunderstood. I wasn't calling him 'A jap'. I was specifically referencing the NATIONALITY of Japanese, by the universally accepted three letter country-code. As OFFENSIVE as writing 'SCO' for Murphy, or 'CZE' for Jiri.

I understood exactly where you were coming from. I was about to post similar until you saved me the effort! :thumbsup:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
But wasn't that short for Nippon/Nipponese ?

Nippon is the Japanese name for Japan hence both Nip and Jap are diminutives. Whether either are offensive in themselves I doubt unless there is intent to offend in which case I'm not sure the actual words used matter that much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here