Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gordon Smith day - I forgot......

D

Deleted User X18H

......Robinson going forward strong ........Manchester United penalty area.......finds Smith and.......Smith.....

You know the rest. It matters not one wit. We're back in the top flight.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Famous for missing a half decent chance in the 125th minute on a grueling Wembley pitch.
Not famous for getting us there and scoring in the same match.

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
......Robinson going forward strong ........Manchester United penalty area.......finds Smith and.......Smith.....

I still can't watch it without being gutted. The faces on the bench say it all. I don't blame him these things happen BUT ......

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
1972–1977 Kilmarnock 161 (36)
1977–1980 Rangers 98 (35)
1980–1983 Brighton & Hove Albion 109 (22)
1982 → Rangers (loan) 2 (0)
1983–1985 Manchester City 45 (15)
1985–1986 Oldham Athletic 9 (0)
1986–1987 Admira Wacker 38 (6)
1987–1988 FC Basel 25 (3)
1988 Stirling Albion 3 (0)
National team
1975–1976 Scotland U23[2] 5 (0)
1978 Scotland U21[3] 1 (0)
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I don't quite know what the point is of this thread, but I'm going to contribute anyway!

Like a lot of others, and I am sure not as many times as Gordon Smith, I have relived that moment in my mind a thousand times. It's surprising how many times, in my mind, that Gary Bailey doesn't make the save!

The thing is, when I watch it now and knowing the players involved, I honestly believe that Smith didn't expect Robinson to pass. Michael Robinson was a bit of a greedy barsteward in the box and I really think Smith expected him to shoot, which may explain why, along with the energy sapping pitch, Smith allowed the ball to get stuck under his feet with a poor first touch.

The rest, as they say is history!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I don't quite know what the point is of this thread, but I'm going to contribute anyway!

Like a lot of others, and I am sure not as many times as Gordon Smith, I have relived that moment in my mind a thousand times. It's surprising how many times, in my mind, that Gary Bailey doesn't make the save!

The thing is, when I watch it now and knowing the players involved, I honestly believe that Smith didn't expect Robinson to pass. Michael Robinson was a bit of a greedy barsteward in the box and I really think Smith expected him to shoot, which may explain why, along with the energy sapping pitch, Smith allowed the ball to get stuck under his feet with a poor first touch.

The rest, as they say is history!

I think you've forgotten that Robbo's pass wasn't perfect. Smith had to check his stride before he shot. He would have scored otherwise. Smith was a classy player (was it at Derby where he scored all three goals in a 3-0 win?) who will always be associated with that unfortunate miss. But only a prat like HBB would describe it as 'Gordon Smith day'.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't quite know what the point is of this thread

Its the OP saying to the mods "I'm a pointless thread starting cock, and here is more shite for you, plase ban me"

:tumble::shit::ffsparr:

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
34 years ago we had a player who missed a sitter in a cup final which we lost the replay in.

A few weeks ago, Baldock missed a much easier chance to win us the Championship

Time we moved forward.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005

"It's fast and furious in this opening quarter of an hour..... Grealish to Smillie......Number 8, Howlett, chipping one in for Gordon Smith........It's there!!! ......Gordon Smith for Brighton after 14 minutes!!"

I prefer to remember this, not many people do.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I always thought it was good work by Bailey. He had about a one in four chance of saving that, but he spread himself in the way of it as best he could - and ultimately got lucky.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here