Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Richie Towell

Shippers

Jan 12, 2016
I don't get it tbh, either at the age of 25 he is or is not good enough. So if he is why didn't he get some serious game time last season in the Championship? If not that would explain why he didn't, so why not release him and save the money's?
I find the whole RT thing a little odd.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I don't get it tbh, either at the age of 25 he is or is not good enough. So if he is why didn't he get some serious game time last season in the Championship? If not that would explain why he didn't, so why not release him and save the money's?

Because our coaches see the potential?
He came at a bad time when we were winning for fun and our midfield was at its strongest. He had no break because of the Irish (summer based) season and then got injured. Let's see if next season he can get a good run at a good level and maybe show himself to be an Aaron Mooy (27 this summer) who people questioned when he went from Melbourne to Man City but now believe can make the step up and has been valued at £10m.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Remind me where Vardy was playing at age 25? Clearly we see something in him, probably we'll look to loan him out but having come from Irish football I highly doubt he is on big wages so I see little harm in keeping him on the books.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I would think that the club rate him due to his performance in training but I thought that he suffered quute a bad injury so perhaps was not up and running in time for the season run in when SB was out.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My interpretation of the wording was that his contract had a promotion clause in it, triggering a year extension:

"In addition, the club has extended midfielder Richie Towell's deal to 2019 - following promotion to the Premier League."

Maybe I'm wrong though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My interpretation of the wording was that his contract had a promotion clause in it, triggering a year extension:

"In addition, the club has extended midfielder Richie Towell's deal to 2019 - following promotion to the Premier League."

Maybe I'm wrong though.
I can understand how it reads, but wouldn't that be a weird clause to have for an unproven player? Just because we've been promoted, doesn't mean we want to give those who aren't good enough contract extensions. So hopefully he is good enough. Maybe I'm just being wishful.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Is it possible that the coaches see him as a potentially good Championship player ? If he goes out on loan and does well, perhaps we could then more than recoup his wages etc with a transfer fee...?

Chelsea must be making a fortune with all their loan players and with transfer fees going through the roof.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Thinking cynically, if we loan him out to the Championship for a year it would be good experience for him to come back to us if we find ourselves preparing for the following season in the Championship. If not, then we can sell him and bank a few hundred thousand. There's no risk for us here and there's certainly a player in there somewhere.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can understand how it reads, but wouldn't that be a weird clause to have for an unproven player? Just because we've been promoted, doesn't mean we want to give those who aren't good enough contract extensions. So hopefully he is good enough. Maybe I'm just being wishful.

I'm not close enough to how these negotiations work, but we won't have been the only club trying to sign him.

If a player/his agent wants a term like that, I imagine it's one most clubs would accept. If you're banking £100m+ there's pretty limited downside.

I'll stress again though: it's just my interpretation/speculation, I have no inside track on it.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Is it possible that the coaches see him as a potentially good Championship player ? If he goes out on loan and does well, perhaps we could then more than recoup his wages etc with a transfer fee...?

Chelsea must be making a fortune with all their loan players and with transfer fees going through the roof.

Had exactly the same thought -- players are assets after all. Maybe this is planning for 18/19 season if we are relegated from the Premier League. It seems for the past few seasons we have had recruitment list for the Championship and Premier League. I am sure the club are not arrogant in thinking that Premier League survival is a given. Hence some planning in case of relegation.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here