Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Shoreham Pubs

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Crown and Anchor has gone down the toilet. The staff have always been awful.
Suters Yard is good if you like lively but can get full of douchebags on some nights.
Avoid Piston Broke.
Marlipins is quite nice as is the Sovereign.
Waterside is nice if weather is good but new management have drained the soul of the place and targeted teenage drinkers and day trippers looking for cheap food. Shame. A real shame.
If it were me, is stick to The Wellie. I was there last night, on the Pale Ale and it's always a good night with live music and friendly staff. The Buck and the Wellie are my favourites. I don't mind the Old Star but it's so small and there's quite a well known local who holds court and bores the crap out of everyone and there's no avoiding him because of the size of the place.
If you want a laugh, stick your head into the Ferry if you want to remind yourself what bad pubs were like in 1982.
The Longshore is simply not worth the effort, shit food, terrible service, crap location.
The Bridge is nice if the weather is good. Nice food too.
The Crabtree is something and nothing. Full of kids too due to a cobbled together, half arsed playground in the back.

Last edited:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I have never been for a pint in Shoreham, but it looks like a decent place to drink.
Anywhere that does the ales you listed is good with me.

I like Shoreham, nice atmosphere and some live music in some pubs, puts Lancing and Sompting to shame. Jump on the night bus home, job done.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Love Shoreham. Haven't been in the Crown & Anchor since Giles & Sandra sold up & Sheperd Neame bought it so can't say how it is now.
I lived over the water & the Waterside (or Waterfront?) has a big Albion contingent for live games.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
The last few months, The Ferry has been undergoing a make over so it may improve or not.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Love Shoreham. Haven't been in the Crown & Anchor since Giles & Sandra sold up & Sheperd Neame bought it so can't say how it is now.
I lived over the water & the Waterside (or Waterfront?) has a big Albion contingent for live games.

The Waterside has a new landlady who, by all accounts, is a bit of a dragon and has been barring people for not good (apparent) reason. I'm not sure what's happened to the Suiters, but it's nowhere NEAR as busy as it used to be these days – the same goes for the Crown & Anchor, but it seems to be in some sort of transition phase.

Red Lion and The Amsterdam are a bit out of the way, but I often end up in one of them, simply because they are closest to me. In town, I would favour the Sov, Bridge or the Buckingham. I haven't been in the Welly for about 20 years, but I hear a lot of good things about it. I cannot STAND the Marlipins, either, but it's normally busy.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Although we still have plenty, we don't have as many pubs as we used to, but I guess most places can say that. The Duke is the nearest to a traditional pub that you'll find here, I would think, plenty of drinking choice. I like the Sovereign, but it doesn't seem to be too sure if it's a pub or a restaurant. The Bridge is great on a summers day - a pint on the terrace and some decent food.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
It has to have the highest pub to population ratio of anywhere in Suxxex!

Swiss Cottage is a dump and the other pub up at the holmbush roudabout, 2 not mentioned yet I don't think. .

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It has to have the highest pub to population ratio of anywhere in Suxxex!

Swiss Cottage is a dump and the other pub up at the holmbush roudabout, 2 not mentioned yet I don't think. .

I don't know if it's apocryphal but I was always told it was in the Guiness book of records as having the highest number of pubs per head in the country. If that was true, it was in the 70s and we have lost quite a few since, so I doubt we can say that any more. Most pubs, like everywhere else, are more geared towards food than the old spit-and-sawdust places with sticky carpets. That suits me, but my drinking days are pretty much over.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Although we still have plenty, we don't have as many pubs as we used to, but I guess most places can say that.
Gone but not forgotten (at least by me) from my younger days: Kingston Inn, Surry Arms, Morning Star, Kings Head, Arundel Arms, The Heebe, Green Jackets, the pre wine bar Suters Yard called the Schooner Inn and the pre restaurant version of the Swiss Cottage.

theboybilly

Shoreham hasn't lost that many pubs really...the Beehive, Hebe and King's Head went a fair few years ago but since pubs started closing en-masse around the country we have lost 3 (Burrell Arms, Morning Star and The Green Jacket) The latter three were poor pubs really and their closure was no real surprise. But the rest of the pubs now seem to be thriving which I put doen to them all offering something different to each other. It is a great town for a beer drinker

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Shoreham hasn't lost that many pubs really...the Beehive, Hebe and King's Head went a fair few years ago but since pubs started closing en-masse around the country we have lost 3 (Burrell Arms, Morning Star and The Green Jacket) The latter three were poor pubs really and their closure was no real surprise. But the rest of the pubs now seem to be thriving which I put doen to them all offering something different to each other. It is a great town for a beer drinker

As boys 9d listed, we have lost a few more than that over the years, but as you say, most of them were probably no great loss, really. Where was the beehive, I don't recall that one ? Certainly we still have no shortage of places for a beer (and even more places for a coffee, these days)

theboybilly

As boys 9d listed, we have lost a few more than that over the years, but as you say, most of them were probably no great loss, really. Where was the beehive, I don't recall that one ? Certainly we still have no shortage of places for a beer (and even more places for a coffee, these days)

The Beehive was on North Street opposite the junction with Ship Street. It is now a private residence but has retained the name

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here