Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If not Stockdale, then who?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Also what about Jordan Pickford who had a lengthy run in the Sunderland team this season, and was one of the few players to enhance their reputation in their relegation season

According to the BBC, Moyes won't sell for less than 30 mill. Madness.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
I realise it's just one game, but Walton's performance (at the age of 18) against Tottenham in the cup was outstanding.

Since then he's got three years more experience, including four loan spells (with rave reviews) and 11 England appearances.

I agree with you. However, it's too much of a gamble at this point in time surely.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I agree with you. However, it's too much of a gamble at this point in time surely.

Didn't Pickford only have one season of experience at championship level before becoming Sunderland's no.1?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
what happened to 'if you're good enough you're old enough' also Jack Butland got a full England cap at a younger age than Walton is now.
Also what about Jordan Pickford who had a lengthy run in the Sunderland team this season, and was one of the few players to enhance their reputation in their relegation season
This. Can't understand the mentality that seems to say if they're under 23 they should stay in the U23s until they actually are twenty three! Every player who has ever played in the PL will at one time have had no experience of playing in the PL. Obviously CH and his team see them in training and can get some idea of who is ready to step up - but that is inevitably always going to be a bit of a gamble; that's the nature of the beast.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Moving on. Assuming he goes then who do we want to replace him?
Not convinced that Walton is anywhere near ready. Maenpaa is a good shot-stopper but seems very much to be back up rather than first choice.

My favourites would be Marcus Betinelli at Fulham or Kieren Westwood at Sheffield Wednesday, neither cheap but wouldn't break the bank either.

Back up only because Stockdale was our number 1. He (Maenpaa) may not have a lot of games for us but I think he's a capable keeper.

We'll be fine if Stockdale goes-as somebody has already said: there are plenty of quality goalkeepers out there looking to play in the Premier League. And there's always Maenpaa.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I realise it's just one game, but Walton's performance (at the age of 18) against Tottenham in the cup was outstanding.

Since then he's got three years more experience, including four loan spells (with rave reviews) and 11 England appearances.
To be fair, one of the loans was anything but rave reviews. Otherwise completely agree.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think if he'd had a good season in the championship then i'd be more comfortable. I'd like to see him on loan at a championship club next season.

I'd like to see him with us next season as our third, or even second keeper and playing in the stiffs on every occasion possible. He will make mistakes without a doubt, but then all keepers do, some less than others, which makes the difference between good or average. However, unless we take the plunge we will never know.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I like Adrian at West Ham

Feck me. [emoji23]

And you didn't rate Marshall..... [emoji2]

Adrian is a disaster waiting to happen every game. Would take Maennpa and Walton over him. I reckon Casper might even reconsider retirement [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Why not the flying Finn?

Not expensive enough.
Nor well-known enough.
As we move into the EPL, personnel have to be vetted first and foremost against these two standards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here