Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cooking Ingredients You Were Introduced To

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
1971 - First Continental Holiday in Ibiza, got horribly sunburned but also found about the Stinking Rose, now one of the first things I look to when I cook .

Off to prep my Fast Roast Lemon & Tarragon Chicken & guess what - a couple of cloves of garlic are needed... :thumbsup:

Oh and some white wine - half for the dish & half for the Chef seems reasonable. :wink:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I wasn't introduced to it but I adore Scotch Bonnets. They are hot, but they have this fantastic sweet pepper flavour to them. If you are too squeamish to add them, you don't have to chop them up and take the fiery seedy taste. You can just puncture them so the seeds don't escape and still get that sweet taste they provide and remove them before dishing up. It'll still be a bit more spicy, but not as spicy as when you chop them into small pieces.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bell peppers. In the late 60s in an 'ethnic' shop in a run down street in the Toxteth area of Liverpool. Never seen one before - had to ask the shopkeeper what to do with them (baked, he suggested, with either a tuna based or minced meat and onion based stuffing). Delicious!

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Bell peppers. In the late 60s in an 'ethnic' shop in a run down street in the Toxteth area of Liverpool. Never seen one before - had to ask the shopkeeper what to do with them (baked, he suggested, with either a tuna based or minced meat and onion based stuffing). Delicious!

Love stuffed peppers - mince rice onions chilli - job done.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Just watching Saturday Kitchen and it reminded me of ingredients that I use but hadn't until somebody introduced them to me.

Olive oil - would never use any other after a mate cooked a meal for me using Extra Virgin olive oil. I'd used the cheapy old sunflower oil until then and even when short of money I always made sure I bought the olive oil.

I love Olive oil be it for cooking, putting on a salad or making a dressing. Can't stand bloody olives though.

I'm with you on olives/olive oil thing. When stir frying I tend to use groundnut oil and I can't stand peanuts either.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Those packets of Tilda rice. Just 2 minutes in the microwave, or chuck in to a stir-fry for 3 minutes. There's all sorts of types, and I find them all very tasty, and no cooking as such.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
IMHO Saturday Kitchen is not so good now that James Martin has left but I read he is starting a series on ITV on Saturday mornings obviously to compete with BBC. As regards the question whenever making a curry I use Ghee to fry chicken etc . My next dish to try is moussaka using the hairy bikers recipe

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I wouldn't know where to start on this one. My mum and one of my Auntie's made the best curries ever, they are Burmese so the curries had a certain difference to Indian style, although the flavour was very much southern Indian. Goan'ish. Anyway one of my cousins and I took up the mantle of curry making in their style and we frequently get knocked up by other members of our family (and friends) to cook up a dish. I was introduced to many, many things from those two that I couldn't list. Suffice to say eating curry takes up 4/5 days of my normal week :smile:

I don't suppose you are prepared to post a recipe given that your background sounds pretty appropriate ?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Those packets of Tilda rice. Just 2 minutes in the microwave, or chuck in to a stir-fry for 3 minutes. There's all sorts of types, and I find them all very tasty, and no cooking as such.

They have preservatives to stop them going off. Tilda is THE best basmati rice on the market. Cook some, you'll never regret it.

As for the oil brought up earlier, depending on the dish, but for far eastern, mix in toasted sesame, the flavour is fantastic. I usually stick a bit in the pan of water when doing noodles, it brings out the flavour so well.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
IMHO Saturday Kitchen is not so good now that James Martin has left but I read he is starting a series on ITV on Saturday mornings obviously to compete with BBC. As regards the question whenever making a curry I use Ghee to fry chicken etc . My next dish to try is moussaka using the hairy bikers recipe

I wouldn't bother BG. I have just had a look at the hairy bikers recipe and they do it all wrong I'm afraid.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here