Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cooking Ingredients You Were Introduced To

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Son forgot it was in there and when he saw it he used it. I wonder how many people have food in the bottom of the freezer that they have forgotten that they had frozen or bought.

Very true, I threw out some spelt flour yesterday from my larder (at home) that went OUT OF DATE in 2015 ....that could be a whole different thread though

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Very true, I threw out some spelt flour yesterday from my larder (at home) that went OUT OF DATE in 2015 ....that could be a whole different thread though

Wife did the same going through her under shelf kitchen carousel after I asked her to check what herbs and spices we were getting low on,.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Slightly OT my wife made a chilli for a party at my sons that included BBQ and jacket potatoes and had some left. My son put it in the freezer some 8 months ago. He took it out this week and put it in the microwave for his dinner and he said it had got so hot he couldnt eat it not even by adding yoghurt to bring it down. How did it get hotter being frozen?

Good question! No idea!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'm no Masterchef contestant but I believe you marinate raw meat. As you say though a curry left a day or two definitely gets more flavour. Not sure what the word for that process is though.

I'm no masterchef either, but meat will still take in juices after being cooked.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought from the current TV program sell by dates or best before are only advisory as opposed to use by. which should be used or thrown away after that date.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Slightly OT my wife made a chilli for a party at my sons that included BBQ and jacket potatoes and had some left. My son put it in the freezer some 8 months ago. He took it out this week and put it in the microwave for his dinner and he said it had got so hot he couldnt eat it not even by adding yoghurt to bring it down. How did it get hotter being frozen?

I have no idea why, but freezing chillies makes them hotter, chilli is always best cooked the day before, and reheated as leaving it lets the chillies infuse all of the sauce. Freezing seems to enhance this effect.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Pimenton - couldn't live without it now
Pesto, courtesy of my mate King Philip of Spain when we were 18

DavePage

At the age of 16 I was introduced to Cumin, it certainly spiced up my life. Only got burnt once really, with over use. Funny how things remind you. Haven’t used it much in the past 20 years, maybe a good time for a Paella or something home made spicy wise.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
At the age of 16 I was introduced to Cumin, it certainly spiced up my life. Only got burnt once really, with over use. Funny how things remind you. Haven’t used it much in the past 20 years, maybe a good time for a Paella or something home made spicy wise.

But cumin (jeera) isn't a hot spice? Why do you feel heat in it?

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
For you pepper lovers out there I highly recommend some of this stuff........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanthoxylum_piperitum

49567793_common_zm.jpg

In Chilli and Mapo Tofu it is the dog's danglies.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
But cumin (jeera) isn't a hot spice? Why do you feel heat in it?

Its a strong spice so can increase intensity of others, I wouldn't call cumin hot but I add it to tandoori mix, for example, and it does give a stronger taste.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Wife did the same going through her under shelf kitchen carousel after I asked her to check what herbs and spices we were getting low on,.

crikey ......life in the fast lane BG
is this the culinary saturday night equivalent of rearranging ones sock draw?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Not strictly an ingredient, but brown rice and wholewheat pasta. Wasted years eating the 'white' versions, which are less tasty and have almost no nutritional value by comparison.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here