Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ex Brighton players being touted for 5+ Million in the Prem

Joshski

Mar 18, 2008
Having a flick though the sports headlines and I see Newcastle are apparently interested in signing Ashley Barnes for a reported 6m. Multiple clubs after our former loane Chris Wood for between 15-20m.

The transfer market is now ludicrous, going to struggle to buy a decent number 9/10 for less than 10m by the looks of things :/

Last edited:

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
Chris wood 15-20M?????
If at all true that's madness despite his best season
Ashley Barnes for 6M bargain - we should be bidding to get him back if it wasn't for a section of stupid Bton fans who don't rate him

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Chris wood 15-20M?????
If at all true that's madness despite his best season
Ashley Barnes for 6M bargain - we should be bidding to get him back if it wasn't for a section of stupid Bton fans who don't rate him

If the club wanted him, I don't think it would be put off by the attitude of that section of Brighton fans.

We could do worse, but I don't think he would want to come back.......

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
"Barnes to Newcastle for £6m" falls down on:

1. Newcastle will be expecting to buy players from Real Madrid, Barcelona and River Plate, not Burnley.
2. There is no way on earth Dyche would let Barnes leave for a figure like that, if at all.
3. If Barnes WERE available other clubs would outbid that figure in an instant.

"Wood to xxxx for £15m" is more plausible. Leeds would surely bite your hand off at that price. He's a decent Championship striker for sure, and maybe that is the going rate for such? He's 26 this year though, so it's £15m for the (limited) finished article - not a high price based on massive future potential. Very poor value, for me, but not unfeasible that someone may pay it.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Having a flick though the sports headlines and I see Newcastle are apparently interested in signing Ashley Barnes for a reported 6m. Multiple clubs after our former loane Chris Wood for between 15-20m.

The transfer market is now ludicrous, going to struggle to buy a decent number 9/10 for less than 10m by the looks of things :/

The obvious answer is to look further afield and stop looking so close to home!

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
I really don't understand Chris Wood. I thought he was quite good with us and he's had an absolutely fantastic season, but there's just something about him that still makes me think he's shit. £15-20m seems ludicrous, the buyer would have to be mental. Barnes is a much better player in my eyes.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
How much would Ulloa cost now too? £10m+ surely? Barnes for £6m would be great business. I loved him when he was here and would take him back in a snip.

Bearing in mind Tommy Elphick went to Villa for £3m, Cook must be at least £6m-£7m in the current market.

£15m for Wood is just stupid though.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
I really don't understand Chris Wood. I thought he was quite good with us and he's had an absolutely fantastic season, but there's just something about him that still makes me think he's shit. £15-20m seems ludicrous, the buyer would have to be mental. Barnes is a much better player in my eyes.

Wood a goalscorer, Barnes not

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
If the club wanted him, I don't think it would be put off by the attitude of that section of Brighton fans.

We could do worse, but I don't think he would want to come back.......

On the few times I spoke with him after he left for Burnley, he always said he'd love to come back one day. Kids and missus loved it down here. Top lad, Barnesy.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Wood a goalscorer, Barnes not

Barnes is now a proven Premier League player who is able to play that hardworking, second striker who can drop into midfield role that is much sought after. Andre Gray is a goalscorer but he's the one who is subbed off. Fair play to Ashley, he has carved out a fantastic career for himself.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I bet you wouldn't get much change out of 5m for cooky either

If you think a (fairly) young English ball-playing centre back who captains his club would go for less than £5,000,000 then you're mental. Gibson at 'Boro was being talked about as a £30,000,000 player. Cook would fetch 10-15 at least.

How much would Ulloa cost now too? £10m+ surely? Barnes for £6m would be great business. I loved him when he was here and would take him back in a snip.

Bearing in mind Tommy Elphick went to Villa for £3m, Cook must be at least £6m-£7m in the current market.

£15m for Wood is just stupid though.

Ulloa is 30, has a year left on his contract, is 4th choice (at best) at Leicester and was nearly let go in January for £3,000,000. Do you really think he'd go for more than £10,000,000. Really?!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I read this, and yet on another thread, posters are advocating selling off Hemed. I think he will do well as a second striker.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Ulloa is 30, has a year left on his contract, is 4th choice (at best) at Leicester and was nearly let go in January for £3,000,000. Do you really think he'd go for more than £10,000,000. Really?!

With that in mind, possibly not. I'd heard that the deal with Sunderland was for £7.5m plus add-ons which you'd expect to probably come to about £10m-ish... Obviously his value would dimish greatly having turned 30 and only having a year or two left on his contract.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...eicester-city-striker-leonardo-ulloa-rejected

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...The only quality he has is that he works hard. That's the minimum I expect from any footballer.

and yet so many players, often valued far higher, dont do this.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Lacks pace, goals, assists, can't see a pass, poor temperament. The amount of easy chances he missed for us was criminal. The only quality he has is that he works hard. That's the minimum I expect from any footballer.

As you can tell, I don't understand football.
Fixed.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
I'd take a half-interested Ashley Barnes over a 200% interested Chuba Akpom any day of the week! :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here