Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam Ant

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
I thought he was flipping brilliant tonight. Great to hear some of the early stuff as well as the classics.
He's still got it.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Was that live or on the telly somewhere.
A unique talent who went barmy a few years back but is ok now.
I had no idea he was still performing.

When you say he went barmy I assume you're referring to that episode in 2002 when he went into a pub with a starting pistol and also threw a car alternator through the window. As a result he was sectioned under the Mental Health Act. Adam Ant has had a long and well established history of struggling with bi-polar depression even prior to and at the height of his fame which got worse when his popularity waned. He's been sectioned or admitted to psychiatric units several times since that incident in 2002 and still has episodes so is never actually ok, he just copes with and manages his condition with varying degrees of success. He was most recently sectioned in 2010 for some minor incident. There was a documentary made called the Madness of Adam Ant which dealt specifically with his mental health issues and in which he spoke candidly of his history of depression. (see link)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gl5jr2BE-4
Unlike most 80s revival acts which is what I suppose he actually is I think his need to continue performing has an added significance in that it helps him channel his mental health issues into something creative and time absorbing. Without that I think his problems would be significantly worse. So with that in mind I wish him well and hope he continues to perform. He actually looks pretty good too considering his age (62) and carries off his new look pretty well judging by this recent photo and somehow manages to avoid looking like a sad caricature of his former self Adam-Ant-2017-Foto-Phortress-Photography-1.jpg

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I saw him last week in Manchester and he was excellent. Great set too, full range from the early days to all the hits.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I agree he was superb last night, great set. I saw him last year and was disappointed, but not this year - was near enough like he was in the early 80s. Musically I'd love him to re-record his albums as life - he is no longer a pop musician this is full on hard rock

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I saw him just before he got sectioned in 2002 in Camden on a Sunday afternoon at a regular rockabilly jamming session called "meet the folks" occasionally Chrissie Hind, Kurt Brandon or Boz (guitarist mozza) would join in. Anyway Adam turned up borrowed a guitar and played obscure rockabilly with passion and sounded fantastic. It was a real privilege to see that, by the time he had finished the pub had swelled from about 50 to packed pub of about 200, he finished took a bow and walked out the pub without a word as the pub exploded with appreciation.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
I agree he was superb last night, great set. I saw him last year and was disappointed, but not this year - was near enough like he was in the early 80s. Musically I'd love him to re-record his albums as life - he is no longer a pop musician this is full on hard rock
That's a great idea about re-recording. I was wondering about the possibility of some new stuff.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I saw him last week in Manchester and he was excellent. Great set too, full range from the early days to all the hits.

i think if you are a certain age you have a real love for Adam.
A genuine rollercoaster story.
He has fought his way through difficult periods in his life and everyone loves a fighter.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Yes Adam ant was great last night as has been said even naff songs like puss in boots sounded good. Just about to get out of bed at the pelirocco and go shopping.... this is the wife's Xmas present.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Yes Adam ant was great last night as has been said even naff songs like puss in boots sounded good. Just about to get out of bed at the pelirocco and go shopping.... this is the wife's Xmas present.

Pelirocco fantastic naughty night hotel....

Which themed room did you stay in

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
...and he's slipped a length to Jamie Lee Curtis.

And to an old friend of mine who he met whilst she was waitressing at a music industry do. He was always onto a winner as she was a massive fan of his, went on to have a 3/4 year relationship together.

N17

Jun 21, 2011
First saw Adam & The Ants in around 1979 at the Lyceum ballroom in London. Was still in his 'Dirk wears white sox' phase.

A bit later i read an interview in the NME where he said that he always replied to his fan mail personally. I put it to the test & to his credit i did receive a hand written letter some time thereafter. I still have it. Doubt it is worth anything but i wouldn't sell it anyway.

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Read his autobiography and it's brilliant. Tells how sid vicious through a pint glass in the 100 club (before he was in the pistols) and it smashed in some girls face. Adam threatened him and sid crapped himself and ran off. He goes way back.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here