Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA to approve retrospective action for diving

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
That clip should have led to a 10 game ban. He fouled him and then pushed him and got him sent off when all he did was get up. Amazing.

Totally agree, I was incensed when I saw that, rest of the season ban without pay.
Wouldn't want him anywhere near our club based on that performance, I'd rather lose the game.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I think it will be good for the game, as players will now try and stay on their feet and have at least an attempt on goal.
Just like they used to back in the 70's.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
That clip should have led to a 10 game ban. He fouled him and then pushed him and got him sent off when all he did was get up. Amazing.

And shouldn't have needed this new rule to do it, either. I'm assuming football has a "bringing the game into disrepute" rule somewhere that could be used to throw the book at blatant cheating like that irrespective of whether there's any specific rules that cover the situation.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'd actually like to see video replays for decisions as big as penalty appeals. But if we don't have those, it doesn't make it bad to separately try and stop diving. Both would be a good thing, whether brought in together, or one before the other.

Look at the video of Forestieri cheating, do you really not want things like that to be punished? Just having the rule in should stop things like that in most cases:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8INWgyWPGM

But would the player sent off have his card retrospectively rescinded?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It probably will never be perfect but what I think the FA should do is ban players for at least 5 games, possibly more. Then, in time, players will not be inclined to do it. As for you last sentence, if a player goes down to avoid a tackle or has slipped then surely a simple gesture to the ref to confirm they are not seeking an advantage then problem solved.

You'd like to think so, but, even when reviewed, Jamie Murphy's slip was still punished.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34416733

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Totally agree with Sam here, to be honest. Palace have been penalized for diving on a few occasions in recent months and all of them have been incorrect decisions. Meanwhile, Andros Townsend dived against Arsenal and won the penalty which we scored to put the game to bed at 3-0. If we're going to have retrospective action, it should work both ways. If we had video referees for penalty decisions last season, Zaha would've won half a dozen more penalties than he actually did.

Referees were not kind at all to Palace in terms of awarding penalties last season. The amount of penalties mistakenly not awarded far outweighs the amount of penalties that shouldn't have been given. Fouls on Zaha in particular were constantly missed, see the 2-1 defeat at home to Swansea, the 4-2 defeat to Liverpool, or the 3-2 defeat to West Brom in which we were denied not one but two penalties in each. Games against Middlesborough, Burnley, Watford, etc. off the top of my head were also games in which referees missed blatant fouls in the box.

Do you not think if Zaha did not simulate so much, then maybe he would not get more penalties, Refs know him, confirmed by an ex Ref and will not get many penalties as he has been taught to go down when touched, confirmed by Pardew. Him and Palace cant have it both ways. Was listening to the debate on the radio yesterday afternoon and the amount of callers mentioning Zaha more than others surely can not be a coincidence. I know we have them as well, but the sheer delusion from Palace fans believing that Zaha does not dive is frankly quite remarkable when the whole country think he does. Fact is, he is a talent and does not need too, is a real shame.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here