Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Attracting players

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
How hard is it really going to be to convince
Players to come to Brighton now we are in the Premier league.
Is there a better city in the country to live than Brighton to be a footballer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

It's a great place sure, but a bit small if you're hoping to keep a low profile when you are a premier league footballer.

but yeah, definitely an attractive proposition for most players.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Great place to live and the biggest help is the established players we have who can speak such a range of languages helping any potential new recruits to settle.

Most players will see it as a gamble as we will be the bookies favourite to go down but a couple of decent signings early in the summer will help

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

Do you not think there will be more concerned about length of contract, money, and winning trophy's?
I think too much is made about how great Brighton is a place to live, i was born here and lived here all my life.
But rarely venture into Brighton for any form of entertainment except Football and the odd gig.
Most of my entertainment comes from going to London for an evening.
Not really sure what the appeal of Brighton if i'm honest.
But having been here all my life guess that's the reason i cant see it.
But it certain wont make footballers sit up and think " Brighton want me, yes ! what a great place to live" as there first thought.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I think that being able to play for Brighton but still be close to London is a bigger draw.. however, when it comes to it the monthly pay cheque will make a bigger difference.. players will need convincing that we can offer them that for more than just one season.. then the seaside, green downs etc might have a role to play..

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Do you not think there will be more concerned about length of contract, money, and winning trophy's?
I think too much is made about how great Brighton is a place to live, i was born here and lived here all my life.
But rarely venture into Brighton for any form of entertainment except Football and the odd gig.
Most of my entertainment comes from going to London for an evening.
Not really sure what the appeal of Brighton if i'm honest.
But having been here all my life guess that's the reason i cant see it.
But it certain wont make footballers sit up and think " Brighton want me, yes ! what a great place to live" as there first thought.

Have to agree. A lot of us obviously see Brighton through rose-tinted specs, but it is a small place, with limited shops, run down in many ways and it just doesn't have the 'fantastic appeal' that so many seem to think. Imho anyway.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Money talks. It's got feck all to do with location.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think it is a massive help, and the club should milk it to the max - all aspects. There is the stadium and training complex for the playing side.

But as you say the location and standard of living is potentially different class.

Forget the top six and probably Everton, we don't really compete with them for players. We are talking about winning signings from the clubs that WILL offer similar money, maybe 8 or 10.

But for everyone else, if it was roughly the same money (and with the odd exception it will be) just show potential places to live either in Brighton/Hove or Sussex (in the city, by the sea, place in the country, whatever), videos of the promotion parade and seafront, and anything else that will help.

And it is also an hour from London, that is increasingly a big factor for overseas players and their families. I know a lot of Reading players currently live in London, and that is in the Championship. I'd rather players lived locally, and we have more to offer.

I understand there is already a video shown to potential signings with a lot about the history and the struggle etc. That's great, but for the more materialistic ones we have more than enough to make the case that Brighton is better than Burnley.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I think it is a massive help, and the club should milk it to the max - all aspects. There is the stadium and training complex for the playing side.

But as you say the location and standard of living is potentially different class.

Forget the top six and probably Everton, we don't really compete with them for players. We are talking about winning signings from the clubs that WILL offer similar money, maybe 8 or 10.

But for everyone else, if it was roughly the same money (and with the odd exception it will be) just show potential places to live either in Brighton/Hove or Sussex (in the city, by the sea, place in the country, whatever), videos of the promotion parade and seafront, and anything else that will help.

And it is also an hour from London, that is increasingly a big factor for overseas players and their families. I know a lot of Reading players currently live in London, and that is in the Championship. I'd rather players lived locally, and we have more to offer.

I understand there is already a video shown to potential signings with a lot about the history and the struggle etc. That's great, but for the more materialistic ones we have more than enough to make the case that Brighton is better than Burnley.

Play them the video and look into their eyes. See if they get it or if they're interested. If there's no flicker and the agent/representative is just ****ing about with his phone... BIN 'EM.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
It isn't going to make any difference at all. If your a rich prem player with everyone waiting on you and making your life easy then the top end ( restaurants , vip areas , girls etc etc is all the same).

Now if you asked a tramp the same question then yes , better to be a tramp in a nice place.

A rich prem player with cash to do whatever , whenever .......... makes no odds and not close enough to London to count as a factor.

££££££ MATTER

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the sort of player who wants a move based on the night life is probably not the player we want. the draw of London is the general leisure, shopping and most importantly communities for foreign players and their families. just about every country in the world has some little group in London, with restaurants and shops for familiar groceries. being closer to that will help against say Burnley or Stoke, but probably not Watford.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Not every time. Liverpool offered Sanchez more money than Arsenal, but he wanted to live in London.

How much more? And was that the total package or basic? All things being equal then it might have a bearing. But it's rarely if ever 'equal', someone always makes it more worthwhile in some way such as offering 'free' accommodation, school fees etc.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
the sort of player who wants a move based on the night life is probably not the player we want. the draw of London is the general leisure, shopping and most importantly communities for foreign players and their families. just about every country in the world has some little group in London, with restaurants and shops for familiar groceries. being closer to that will help against say Burnley or Stoke, but probably not Watford.
the thing that makes me suspicious of this is we said that throughout the withdean years that 'when we get to the Amex...' but money is still the main draw. Not Brighton. London. Not the SE. It's money. Short and simple.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here