Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Massive v Huddersfield

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Their wage bill will be higher this season surely?

Not according to the Hudds chap, but yes, I'd suspect so.

Depends largely on the terms of all the loan deals - unless the parent clubs are heavily subsidizing the wages of Mooy, Brown, Palmer, Ward, and Kachunga, you'd think it must have gone up a fair bit.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
To be fair, we did smash our transfer record last summer - we bought Christopher Schindler for £1.8m ....

Well, we smashed our previous record of similar value to that by bringing in Duffy for 4m inclusive of addons, so we're not worlds apart.

You also have a couple of the best loans in the division. But anyway, nobody is downplaying your achievement and most of us will no doubt wish for you to go one step further.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
No problem :)

Yes it's definitely Monk that steps in front of Wagner (barges may be pushing it), but I don't blame him. Managers just don't run across the pitch when their team scores, it's not the done thing (and against the rules no doubt), so Monk and all the fans (even if they're Leeds) must have been well pissed off.

For me anyone that pisses off Leeds (who were charging £42 on the gate to our lot when we played them a couple of months ago) gets a high five from me and goes UP in my estimation. I don't hold it against Alan Mullery when he flicked the 'V's at Palace, so no grudge against Wagner.

Fnd_hudds

That Huddersfield Tosser
Feb 3, 2017
Not according to the Hudds chap, but yes, I'd suspect so.

Depends largely on the terms of all the loan deals - unless the parent clubs are heavily subsidizing the wages of Mooy, Brown, Palmer, Ward, and Kachunga, you'd think it must have gone up a fair bit.

We brought a load of players in from the German leagues, because they're on lower wages there and could fit within our cost base. As for the loans (we made Kachinga permanent a few months ago btw) as far as I'm aware the parent clubs are subsiding a certain level. Crazily enough City actually asked us to take Mooy on this season!!!

I reckon we'll have gone up a little bit, but we also got rid of dead wood like Joel Lynch, who was one of the highest earners.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Even it does up a bit they have done well compared to the other teams at the top of the table.
Championship Contenders 2016.JPG

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Even it does up a bit they have done well compared to the other teams at the top of the table.
View attachment 85567

By that comparison they've done brilliantly - no argument from anyone.

He wasn't comparing them to those clubs though, but to Rotherham, who haven't had a bean to spend all season and got relegated as a result. In fact when they did find themselves one decent player on loan, they lost him at Christmas, so he could be loaned to Huddersfield instead.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
View attachment 85567

As you say, that was the season before, when they were far less competitive. This season's figures will make interesting reading, but the player additions 'column' will be skewed by the number and 'value' of the loanees they brought in. I'd imagine the wages and transfer values of those players would be significant. Not that I'm levelling that at them as a criticism, we've used the loan market as well (but nowhere nearly as well).

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Wednesday losing has put me in the unfortunate position of hoping Reading get promoted. I have nothing against Huddersfield as a team, but Wagner's team selection against Birmingham failed to allow fair competition for all teams. Blackburn and Forest should have been able to expect that he would play something approaching a first team. His choice, people will say. Well this is my choice, I hope Reading beat you, and that once all the loan players have gone home and parachute money has taken the best of the rest, you have to select that 'competitive' team all next season you selfish cheat.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Monk v Wagner really was a storm in a teacup, it was just emotions running high. Both good passionate managers. Wagner has a a premier league attitude and comes across as arrogant and if he can back it up with results, fair play to him. I don't think he will be around for long and as soon as a top job becomes available in Germany he will be gone. Caraval comes across as a gentleman but ultimately he has failed this season. Hope they give him another chance next season but think it's unlikely. If you had said 5 yrs ago that Watford, Palace and Bournemouth would be established clubs in the top league most people would have thought you doolally. Maybe Brighton or Reading/Huddersfield will join the gang. I have a feeling Huddersfield will do it but if they don't they could really struggle without Mooy, Brown and co.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
I like Huddersfield Town and I hope that they beat Reading and join Albion in the Premier League. Apart from their manager’s attempts to play mind games, we have no reason to dislike them. Unlike fans from other clubs in their neck of the woods, Huddersfield fans are friendly and civilised. That is my impression, at any rate.

If Huddersfield are on their game at Wembley, Reading will struggle to contain them. However, the Royals are adept at stifling more fluent sides, and Jaap Stam is an astute tactician, so I suspect that the Berkshire side will emerge victorious.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I have a Sheffield Wednesday friend who took two of his children to the match and he told me there were running battles down Halifax road before the game the worst he has seen in years. No mention of it in the press I guess because it's a friendly Yorkshire derby and could never possibly happen I guess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here