Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lib Dems Manifesto

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I guess a lot aren't going to like the second referendum idea which you could discuss forever, but aside of this some pretty moderate and balanced policies, sensibly funded too

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/17/liberal-democrat-manifesto-key-points-and-analysis

Surprises me they aren't doing better. A strong leader makes a big difference and Farron does lack charisma

Swing seat here in Oxford, they'll get my vote

Does it? In my lifetime they've generally been a party of the young and the young don't vote. Not to mention they climbed into bed with the Tories which alienated every single person I've ever known to have voted Lib Dem in the past.

You're right though. They do have some good ideas. It's a pity they'll never get to implement any of them.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Does it? In my lifetime they've generally been a party of the young and the young don't vote. Not to mention they climbed into bed with the Tories which alienated every single person I've ever known to have voted Lib Dem in the past.

You're right though. They do have some good ideas. It's a pity they'll never get to implement any of them.

This

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Surprises me they aren't doing better. A strong leader makes a big difference and Farron does lack charisma

It doesn't me - they abandoned their scruples the moment they allowed tuition fees to be increased despite promising they wouldn't ( regardless of what you think about the fees themselves ).

Add in Farron's rather old fashioned views on being gay and abortion and you have an unelectable party.

And of course round these parts they won't be forgotten for Bellotti, Baker and LDC ( well they won't by me anyway ).

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Not to mention they climbed into bed with the Tories which alienated every single person I've ever known to have voted Lib Dem in the past.

Pretty sure this is a conspiracy spread by tories to try to reduce the lib dem vote. They did a fair bit to try to stop the tory extreme austerity whilst they were in power. And who would've expected them not to take a chance in government?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Pretty sure this is a conspiracy spread by tories to try to reduce the lib dem vote. They did a fair bit to try to stop the tory extreme austerity whilst they were in power. And who would've expected them not to take a chance in government?

Possibly. I'm not a Tory so can't say :shrug:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Shouldn't the thread title be " Tory Lite Manifesto"

Or maybe Labour Lite

They will never win an election but I'd be surprised if they are not part of a coalition again at some point. They were much derided over tuition fees but they were in a coalition and you win some, you lose some and that one they lost. They did a good job at moderating the Tories, if anything that was the strong and stable government, not the mess and uncertainty of the present

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
It doesn't me - they abandoned their scruples the moment they allowed tuition fees to be increased despite promising they wouldn't ( regardless of what you think about the fees themselves ).

Add in Farron's rather old fashioned views on being gay and abortion and you have an unelectable party.

And of course round these parts they won't be forgotten for Bellotti, Baker and LDC ( well they won't by me anyway ).

Too true. And what about that Europhile Jo Grimond. And come to that, that old pillow-biter Thorpe. And Lloyd George was Welsh for Chrissakes!

Don't even get me started on that bloody Gladstone.

Jan 30, 2008
I guess a lot aren't going to like the second referendum idea which you could discuss forever, but aside of this some pretty moderate and balanced policies, sensibly funded too

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/17/liberal-democrat-manifesto-key-points-and-analysis

Swing seat here in Oxford, they'll get my vote
along with the GREENS AN ABSOLUTE WASTE OF SPACE !!! :rolleyes:
regards
DR

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
They were (rightly) punished at the last election for abandoning some core principles in coalition, although they were bizarrely punished by people switching to the Tories which still surprises me.

I bet they can't believe their luck another election is coming round so soon, because certainly many people will think that one punishment is enough, and I'd be surprised if the heavyweights like Hughes and Cable don't make it back. I'm currently cautiously optimistic that another long-time Libdem MP, Andrew George, will make it back in my swing St Ives constituency

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And come to that, that old pillow-biter Thorpe.

[pedant alert]It wasn't Thorpe who bit pillows, it was Norman Scott

You missed out Steel, architect of the Abortion Act - the one that the current leader of the party is unhappy with.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Reverse cuts to Employment Support Allowance to those in the Work-related Activity Group,
Help young people in need by reversing cuts to housing benefit for 18-21-year-olds and increase the rates of Job Seeker’s Allowance and Universal Credit for those aged 18-24 at the same rate as minimum wages,
Abandon the two-child policy on family benefits, and abolish the Conservatives’ ‘rape clause’ where a woman has to declare children that are born as a result of rape in order to access benefits,
Scrap the discredited Work Capability Assessment and replace it with a new system, run by local authorities according to national rules, including a ‘real world’ test that is based on the local labour market,
Uprate working-age benefits at least in line with inflation

They're actually suggesting helping the poor and disabled and treating the most vulnerable with dignity. Crazy idea!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I guess a lot aren't going to like the second referendum idea which you could discuss forever

And I will.

This is the most absurd policy since the Tories promised a free vote on fox hunting.

With a confirmed second referendum, our bargaining power with the EU (what little we had left) would be destroyed and whatever awful deal that transpired would be rejected by an overwhelming majority in he second referendum.

They should have nailed their colours to the mast and said that a vote for Lib Dems is a vote for remain.

Also, their leader is a bigger pillock than Ed Miliband - an utterly unelectable clown. The golden age of sensible centralist politicians such as Blair, Cameroon and Clegg is over. It's now Thatcher or Foot all over again - how have we gone backwards so much??

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The Green legacy from the Libs Dems, the Green investment bank. Britain is now the leader in Offshore Wind...

http://www.libdems.org.uk/environment

And what do the Tories now want to do? Flog it off, crazy....

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Reverse cuts to Employment Support Allowance to those in the Work-related Activity Group,
Help young people in need by reversing cuts to housing benefit for 18-21-year-olds and increase the rates of Job Seeker’s Allowance and Universal Credit for those aged 18-24 at the same rate as minimum wages,
Abandon the two-child policy on family benefits, and abolish the Conservatives’ ‘rape clause’ where a woman has to declare children that are born as a result of rape in order to access benefits,
Scrap the discredited Work Capability Assessment and replace it with a new system, run by local authorities according to national rules, including a ‘real world’ test that is based on the local labour market,
Uprate working-age benefits at least in line with inflation

They're actually suggesting helping the poor and disabled and treating the most vulnerable with dignity. Crazy idea!

All their policies are white noise whilst they continue to hang themselves with another referendum noose..
The latest polls has support for ignoring the original referendum and overturning brexit down to 22%.
farron and his muppets are out of touch and irrelevant as ever

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Not to mention they climbed into bed with the Tories which alienated every single person I've ever known to have voted Lib Dem in the past.

I voted Lib Dem when they promised to scrap fees, instead they trebled them. The Lib Dems should be dead.

I agree with all these points wholeheartedly, but the fact is that voting Lib Dem is the only way to possibly stoip the tories winning the sit where i live, therefore with gritted teeth, they may get my vote (unless i think 'sod it' and vote green as a protest vote)

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Slagging off the libs coz they broke a promise, best vote blue then coz they never lie do they, ffs idiots.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here