Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shane Long

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
If that was true then surely it would have been Baldock and not Long who has been knocking around in the Premier League for many years....

Baldock is a clever player for sure, and has had his first decent goal scoring return at Championship level this season but I have to disagree with you on this one.

Perhaps its you doing Long an injustice ?..

I don't say that Shane Long is a bad player but I don't think I do him an injustice. He hasn't proven anything in terms of real quality and if you are going to throw massive wages at someone and a decent transfer fee then I would want to see a better reputation than a Gary Neville Sky Sports summary on one of very few goals that he has scored on Match of the day.

Do any of us on here have any real insight into his abilities in terms of consistency. I definitely don't so I would rather spend money on someone that came with a better reputation.

Anyone who is signed I imagine will be part of a plan as to where they will fit in as opposed to an individual who might not fit in to a planned system. CH knows what it will take to stay up so it's all about putting that plan into action.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I don't say that Shane Long is a bad player but I don't think I do him an injustice. He hasn't proven anything in terms of real quality and if you are going to throw massive wages at someone and a decent transfer fee then I would want to see a better reputation than a Gary Neville Sky Sports summary on one of very few goals that he has scored on Match of the day.

Do any of us on here have any real insight into his abilities in terms of consistency. I definitely don't so I would rather spend money on someone that came with a better reputation.

Anyone who is signed I imagine will be part of a plan as to where they will fit in as opposed to an individual who might not fit in to a planned system. CH knows what it will take to stay up so it's all about putting that plan into action.

I know you did'nt say he was bad, you said Baldock was a better all round player.. that's what i disagreed with.

Long is an option for me thats all, I certainly would not be turning my nose up at a forward who has scored nearly 60 premier league goals ( i think that is a measure of real quality ) many of those appearances have been off the bench also for struggling teams

If we can do beter then I am going to be thrilled.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
I hope that Shane Long is not under consideration as he offers nothing any better than we have at much less money, especially having signed the German.

He offers premier league experience of which we have very little. He also offers pace, something we lack throughout the side. 60 or so goals in premier league is not to be dismissed lightly. I'm also not sure that Gross will be the new no.10. He plays many positions. I still see us spending on a quick striker.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
He offers premier league experience of which we have very little. He also offers pace, something we lack throughout the side. 60 or so goals in premier league is not to be dismissed lightly. I'm also not sure that Gross will be the new no.10. He plays many positions. I still see us spending on a quick striker.

If we can't do better than Long then we might as well not bothered going up FFS

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
If we are still looking for that player to rotate/provide competition for Baldock, then Shane Long would be a brilliant singing.

Another one of your classics

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It's easy to forget that West Brom, Hull and now probably Southampton have signed Long before binning him off not long after. Has to be a reason.

And also , all of a sudden he starts getting some game time for Southampton when all is safe and they let him take penalties to try and get him some goals, suggest he will be in the ''Bargain Bucket'' come June. He is a decent player I concede but I don't think he fits into the CH ethos but who knows. It just depends on what systems he has in mind next year in differing scenarios and whether Long would fit them. Personally, I would like better.

Bowers-sfc

forever red, never blue
Feb 20, 2011
It's easy to forget that West Brom, Hull and now probably Southampton have signed Long before binning him off not long after. Has to be a reason.

"Binning him off not long after"

We signed him in August 2014, and he signed a new 4 year deal in November last year.
I know it sounds weird, but Shane Long isn't that striker you look to and think goals. He causes defenders so many problems. He's an annoying little **** to play against.
I remember coming up against reading, hull and west broom and thinking ffs if he was in the squad.

He's done ok for us though, and last year under koeman he got a good run of games as a striker and had a good 2nd half of the season. This season, he's mostly been played on the wing and that's just never going to be his position. He's fast, yes but he can't really cross and plus, he probably our best header of the ball.

I think if Claude goes, he stays. If not, he's off. Il be gutted to lose him, mainly because he's a shit to play against but also for that goal at anfield.... Scenes.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I can't lie, I've never paid any attention to him but he does sound a bit like a premier league version of Baldock. So as cover/competition for Sammy B it seems like a decent enough signing. I'm not saying that with any conviction though...

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
And also , all of a sudden he starts getting some game time for Southampton when all is safe and they let him take penalties to try and get him some goals, suggest he will be in the ''Bargain Bucket'' come June. He is a decent player I concede but I don't think he fits into the CH ethos but who knows. It just depends on what systems he has in mind next year in differing scenarios and whether Long would fit them. Personally, I would like better.

I'd love better! Fingers crossed!

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
I would like Aroune Kone and Tammy Abraham as a duo, or someone from abroad who is brilliant that I haven't heard of

I must admit, I do enjoy a signing i've never heard of. They also come with a "fairer crack of the whip" from the fans as we can't have pre-conceived opinions of them.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I would like Aroune Kone and Tammy Abraham as a duo, or someone from abroad who is brilliant that I haven't heard of

so let me get this straight.... 60 goal Long is a no... but Kone a 33yr old injury ridden striker who has scored 10 goals in 4 seasons and hardly kicked a ball in recent times is a goer ?....
Kone is not even close to being as good as Murray in my book.

Abraham yes if a deal can be done i would love that, even then i am very concerned about our lack of premier league experience we need a few with it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here