Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shane Long

SAC

May 21, 2014
Either could do a job but that is what they would be doing a job. Goals will make or break our season and if we are going to spend serious money anywhere, upfront is where it needs to be. If our forwards get close to 20 goals next season we will go down, if they get close to 40 we will stay up, the most important area to strengthen bar none...

Which clubs in the PL this season have forwards that have scored a combined 40 goals? West Borm (9th) have only scored 42 goals and Southampton (8th) have scored 41, their whole team not just their forwards.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Which clubs in the PL this season have forwards that have scored a combined 40 goals? West Borm (9th) have only scored 42 goals and Southampton (8th) have scored 41, their whole team not just their forwards.

Missed the words close to? We are going to struggle to score, establish premier league teams as you point out struggle to score and these are teams that share their goals around. Our goals have been primarily shared amongst the forwards. It 's unlikely that will be much different next season. I don't expect them to get 20 each but I do say if they get less than 10 each we are in trouble because we will struggle to get many elsewhere, Knocky excluded. We had goals from the front players plus Knocky, next highest was Murphy with Four.

Our goalscoring profile is very heavily weighted towards the strikers. More than most teams in the PL.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
I'd take him in a heartbeat. I think given a run of games to get sharp he would look a lot better. His strike rate must suffer from the amount of substitute appearances he makes. He can play up front on his own and as a two. With Baldocks injury record I think he'd be a great signing assuming fee and wages are right. I think he has a deal until 2020. I think it would take some bid to shift him.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I am fan of Long and his " type " I would be pleased if we got someone like him, we will certainly need a lot more pace up front to play on the break and keep opposition defences honest as it were.

If better and similar can be found abroad for cheaper then thats cool.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
No to both but would like to see a couple of players that have played in the Prem so not all total risks.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
And do you think we should pay to take the ''crap'' off their hands ?

Shane Long would be an instant proven and quite cheap upgrade on Sam Baldock, that's the first point to make. Long isn't going to set the world alight for Brighton or whoever he ends up at, but he will do a job without doubt. I think that sort of consistency is important for a newly promoted Albion side. But in a Saints side where he hasn't started much and has been starved of creativity when he has - he hasn't been happy. Saints' attack is dysfunctional for a number of reasons, Long being in decline perhaps is one, but he'd be decent here.

Jay Rod is a quality player, technicality good enough for most PL sides outside of the top 6-7, but just needs somewhere he can start football matches and regain match fitness. Saints have refused to give him the run of games he needs to get up to speed, favouring Redmond's development instead.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
He is a slightly better Sam Baldock.

If they are looking to off load Austin or Rodriguez however....

If we keep Baldock and Lua Lua and take Austin and Rodriguez, we MIGHT get a full season... between them.

But I wouldn't bet my money on it..

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
I'd take him & Ings from Liverpool, those bemoaning his lack of goals, how many do you expect from Baldock next season?

peckham seagull

Apr 3, 2014
Only 20 players scored 10 or more goals in the premier league and most of those players would command a transfer fee far higher than we would be able to afford. What we need is goals from all around the park and if we can bring in a player who will score even 8 goals in the premier league then that would be incredible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'd take him & Ings from Liverpool, those bemoaning his lack of goals, how many do you expect from Baldock next season?

Shane Long isn't a no.10, so you're looking at Murray's place, not Baldock's.

I'm honestly expecting Baldock to thrive next season. His movement, linking of play, we've been a far better team with him than without. Our wingers, centre forward, all seem to play better with him involved. Massively underrated it would seem by many of our own fans.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Long is a great athlete, bursts of speed and stamina, but his PL failing is considered to be his lack of tucking chances away.

Goals will keep us up. Long doesn't deliver on that front.

A PL CMS, running around all day like a headless chicken with no end product.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's no point signing Long, he's too similar to Bong.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Shane Long would be an instant proven and quite cheap upgrade on Sam Baldock, that's the first point to make. Long isn't going to set the world alight for Brighton or whoever he ends up at, but he will do a job without doubt. I think that sort of consistency is important for a newly promoted Albion side. But in a Saints side where he hasn't started much and has been starved of creativity when he has - he hasn't been happy. Saints' attack is dysfunctional for a number of reasons, Long being in decline perhaps is one, but he'd be decent here.

Jay Rod is a quality player, technicality good enough for most PL sides outside of the top 6-7, but just needs somewhere he can start football matches and regain match fitness. Saints have refused to give him the run of games he needs to get up to speed, favouring Redmond's development instead.

I think you do Sam Baldock an injustice. Neither are prolific goalscorers but Baldock in my opinion has more mobility, has a better first touch and if truth be told is a better footballer all round

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
We were after him last season in the last transfer window, Austin's injury put an end to any deal.

Championship. Yes. Premier League. No

Suspect we've set our sights slightly higher now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here