Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Four Years In The Top-Flight (As From 1979 To 1983)

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Would you take that now (2017 to 2021)?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes.

Because four seasons on current Prem income would grow / consolidate the club to such an extent, that we'd be MASSIVE favourites to come straight back up anyway.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
No, we should want to become a semi permanent fixture in the top league now, something like Stoke or West Brom maybe.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Great question.

On balance I'd have to say yes I would take it, for the same reason as HKFC. Four years of that money and you would be in a different bracket AS LONG AS you stayed cute with your player contracts, relegation salary clauses etc.

But it is a good question because the other, counter case for being well placed to establish ourselves as a semi-permanent member of the PL is also very valid.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No, we should want to become a semi permanent fixture in the top league now, something like Stoke or West Brom maybe.

Great question.

On balance I'd have to say yes I would take it, for the same reason as HKFC. Four years of that money and you would be in a different bracket AS LONG AS you stayed cute with your player contracts, relegation salary clauses etc.

But it is a good question because the other, counter case for being well placed to establish ourselves as a semi-permanent member of the PL is also very valid.

I absolutely think we can, but don't expect plain sailing. West Brom are a sensible example of where we should aim, but they dropped back to the Championship at least twice before becoming firmly established at Prem level.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Quality over quantity for me. (because I don't pay the bills)

4 years of Sunderlandesque fourth from bottom, has an ever decreasing amount of appeal.

In fairness following Stoke's example of trading everything for finishing 10th doesn't exactly float my boat either.

Last edited:

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Will be in the Premier League for many years to come .

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Unfortunately the last time we tried to be like that our fickle fans decided they didn't like our style and Bailey got sacked after our best ever league finish. I don't think anyone really thinks that the Stoke and WBA playing styles would suit our crowds. I'd take 4 entertaining years knowing that we should have accumulated enough wealth to bounce back.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Quality over quantity for me.

4 years of Sunderlandesque fourth from bottom, has an ever decreasing amount of appeal.

In fairness following Stoke's example of trading everything for finishing 10th doesn't exactly float my boat either.

I agree, however, we are never going to be a top 6 club imo.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No, why accept failure.

We should be aiming to stay in the Premier League next season and then building upon that and looking to have the foundations in place to move upwards each season to become a solid top 10 side.

Will we be able to achieve that, we will find out.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Unfortunately the last time we tried to be like that our fickle fans decided they didn't like our style and Bailey got sacked after our best ever league finish. I don't think anyone really thinks that the Stoke and WBA playing styles would suit our crowds. I'd take 4 entertaining years knowing that we should have accumulated enough wealth to bounce back.

Given how recently CH got us promoted it might a bit wanky to suggest that I'd rather go down the entertaining Bournemouth route of survival than the very defensive route that we are likely to go down.....

I must confess I wasn't THAT enamoured with most of our time in the top division last time out. Sure there were some fantastic performances and results but there were far more backs to the wall dull games. Let's become a stylish team this time around.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I agree, however, we are never going to be a top 6 club imo.
Never is a long time, although I do agree.

I just feel the Sunderland & Stoke model of 'being in the Premier League is as good as winning' just doesn't cut it for me.

(I feel dirty just writing this) But at least palace nearly had a hand on the FA Cup.
The fact that it almost cost them Premier League status probably means that'll never happen again

If finishing 8th - 16th in the Premier League becomes the pinnacle, the mountain wasn't really worth (not) climbing.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Leicester have shown what can be achieved through team spirit and playing to your strengths, expect to fail and you will. Aim high.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Quality over quantity for me. (because I don't pay the bills)

Yeah, good points. We're all saying 'Just happy to survive the first season', but if we do that then in subsequent seasons 'just surviving' will soon pall and there will be demands for Bloom to 'take the club to the next level'. As you say that next level is about where Stoke are now - a solid mid table team. Then that will soon pall.

So to answer the original question I'd probably accept four years and a Cup Final: with the proviso that it isn't another 39 years before we get back - and we win the Cup this time!

Anyway, those are problems for another day. My sole hope at the moment is that this time next year we're looking forward to another season in the PL.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm quite happy just to see what happens next. And looking forward to those occasions when we are the first name read out in the results on Sports Report!

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Mike Bailey was alright but the football was not impressive but his first priority was to keep us up so I hope people on here are ready for some beatings and some bore draws as that's what next season will probably be as per under MB
But if we get through next season I can only see us getting stronger and stronger

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here