Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fans of other clubs, laughing at our coming 2nd parade on social media

SAC

May 21, 2014
I do mostly, just got to me a bit last night.
Anyone who is a real football fan will be well aware of the struggles of other clubs.
Our particular struggle was pretty high profile back in the day.

Indeed but Portsmouth had very public struggles but it doesn't stop (and nor should it) people taking the piss out of them, sometimes a bit prematurely!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I do mostly, just got to me a bit last night.
Anyone who is a real football fan will be well aware of the struggles of other clubs.
Our particular struggle was pretty high profile back in the day.

Your last sentence sums up the issue. The majority of social media trolls are youths, they don't have a clue about other club's history.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Newcastle fans seem to like a dig too. You know - Newcastle United.....the same huge Newcastle United that haven't won a major trophy since Wor Bobby Robson was playing. The same Newcastle who have a fanbase half of which won't have a clue what that major trophy was. The 'Inter-City what, Dad?' It just goes to show how much they expect from their club that their celebrations after Sunday were so muted. Stuff that, my club gave me a decent excuse to earn enough brownie points to run along to Hove, have perhaps far too much to drink and also have a laugh and (maybe) a little sniffle by the sea in the sun. They can laugh all they like. I just wish I could get the essence of all that into 140 characters on Twitter to give them something back.

Lovely broad strokes there mate. I mean, it's utter nonsense, but kudos on it regardless.

You know why we didn't celebrate promotion? Because it looked odds on for the majority of the season, it was in the hands of an excellent manager, and we never should have been down in the 2nd tier anyway; We weren't relegated due to a lack of quality in the team, it was incompetence from Rafa's predecessor, the legacy of a flawed transfer system and so on.

So, when our promotion was confirmed we celebrated a good job done well. Rather that our dreams coming true, this was righting a wrong.

Trust me, when we won the title, the celebrations were not muted. Because it was highly unlikely, it was after a good season and it was so late in the day. But we're not going to have an open top bus tour for getting back to the Premier League, you might think it arrogant, but honestly it's just not a big enough thing to celebrate for us. Had we been out of the top flight for longer we might have put on a big party, but it bears repeating, this wasn't achieving something few have had experience of, this was just returning to where we came from.

Blackburn fans will be rightly mocked should they wildly celebrate getting back into the Championship.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I would expect winners of play off to be just as ecstatic...First would have been better ...but it`s promotion that is the most important !!

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
I wasn't really, just slightly irritated that fans of other clubs need to learn our history before having a pop at us.
Anyway, no biggie

I think you've unrealistic expectations there, expectations that will be confounded further next season. Liverpool fans aren't going to pop onto Wikipedia before chanting "You've never won **** all", West Brom fans aren't going to bother learning your history before mocking you on twitter after they Pulisball their way to an ugly win at the Amex.

Put it this way, Newcastle are a "big" club with a rich history, a big bank balance, a large and loyal fanbase, and so on. Nobody gives a **** about us outside the North East :lol:

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Didn’t Palace have an open-top bus parade through the streets of Upper Norwood in 2013…for winning the play-offs?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I've noticed a lot of the 14 year olds on Twitter with anonymous 'bants' accounts with usernames like 'RashfordxFlair' or 'SimplyMartial' have started saying how shit we are, how we're going down and how we're tinpot etc etc. We've made it!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Lovely broad strokes there mate. I mean, it's utter nonsense, but kudos on it regardless.

You know why we didn't celebrate promotion? Because it looked odds on for the majority of the season, it was in the hands of an excellent manager, and we never should have been down in the 2nd tier anyway; We weren't relegated due to a lack of quality in the team, it was incompetence from Rafa's predecessor, the legacy of a flawed transfer system and so on.

So, when our promotion was confirmed we celebrated a good job done well. Rather that our dreams coming true, this was righting a wrong.

Trust me, when we won the title, the celebrations were not muted. Because it was highly unlikely, it was after a good season and it was so late in the day. But we're not going to have an open top bus tour for getting back to the Premier League, you might think it arrogant, but honestly it's just not a big enough thing to celebrate for us. Had we been out of the top flight for longer we might have put on a big party, but it bears repeating, this wasn't achieving something few have had experience of, this was just returning to where we came from.

Blackburn fans will be rightly mocked should they wildly celebrate getting back into the Championship.

I actually agree with most of that, our two clubs were in totally different positions. Of course we are going to celebrate a first promotion to the top flight for 38 years, who wouldn't. Whereas Newcastle expected to walk it, and didn't think they should have been there. The muted reaction is understandable.

But we have all seen at other clubs how expectations change, and the same may happen at Brighton. Those of us who saw them as the 92nd best club in the Football League only 20 years ago, I would like to think, will never lose that perspective. I won't be howling for Hughton's head after a few defeats, but some will be if it happens.

However I think you can permit yourself a celebration if something good happens, and that includes Newcastle this season, Blackburn if they come back up, and the likes of Sheff Utd and Bolton this season. Being a football fan is a lot about disappointment, so enjoy the good times and no need to be ashamed about it.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
I actually agree with most of that, our two clubs were in totally different positions. Of course we are going to celebrate a first promotion to the top flight for 38 years, who wouldn't. Whereas Newcastle expected to walk it, and didn't think they should have been there. The muted reaction is understandable.

But we have all seen at other clubs how expectations change, and the same may happen at Brighton. Those of us who saw them as the 92nd best club in the Football League only 20 years ago, I would like to think, will never lose that perspective. I won't be howling for Hughton's head after a few defeats, but some will be if it happens.

However I think you can permit yourself a celebration if something good happens, and that includes Newcastle this season, Blackburn if they come back up, and the likes of Sheff Utd and Bolton this season. Being a football fan is a lot about disappointment, so enjoy the good times and no need to be ashamed about it.

I think "expected" can seem pejorative, like we thought we'd walk it. We didn't. We were confident of getting straight back up, but expecting promotion makes us sound deluded. Championship is a tough league (as our North East neighbours are going to discover) and to finish in the Automatic spots requires a season long slog, grinding out results when the fixtures are coming thick and fast.

I think our 1st two results realigned a fair few of the younger fans' perceptions of the league.

To be honest, I don't think we should have been relegated, had Benitez taken over just 2 games earlier I think we would have stayed up. But Ashley and Charnley reaped the whirlwind they'd sown, with their poor decisions and indecision. Both times we've been in the 2nd tier in the past decade have been as a direct result of incompetence in the board room, rather than a lack of quality available on the teamsheet.

I'm not the celebration police, but I think Bolton or Blackburn fans celebrating wildly diminish the pain and anger one feels at a relegation which followed poor management, rather than just not being up to snuff. Should Rotherham return at the first time of asking, they should rightly lose their shit, but Newcastle fans see this return to the top flight as a return to a plateau, not an ascent to a hitherto distant peak.

D

Deleted member 22389

I've noticed a lot of the 14 year olds on Twitter with anonymous 'bants' accounts with usernames like 'RashfordxFlair' or 'SimplyMartial' have started saying how shit we are, how we're going down and how we're tinpot etc etc. We've made it!

Sound like the people who phone in to 5 Live, support Chelsea but live in Devon. Probably never been to a game in their life, but seem positioned to tell everyone else what is currently wrong with the squad, and that the club needs more money even though they won.

Your last sentence sums up the issue. The majority of social media trolls are youths, they don't have a clue about other club's history.

They won't have a clue about their own clubs history either to be fair.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

I stopped reading after this point, as you seem to have delved into the utter nonsense category yourself, typical we're too big too go down, the championship is beneath us mentality.

You can blame it on what you want but if over 38 games you finish in the bottom 3 then you deserve relegation, no matter how full of star quality your squad is. And you had Steve McClaren as manager, Ashley got exactly what he deserved for employing the wally with the brolly, maybe Sports Direct had a few umbrellas he wanted to get rid of.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Anyone who laughs at or criticises our parade is just jealous. Jealous of our hard-fought journey to the Premier League, jealous of our city, jealous that we have a brilliant chairman who is a real life-long fan and jealous of the fact we know how to party!

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
I stopped reading after this point, as you seem to have delved into the utter nonsense category yourself, typical we're too big too go down, the championship is beneath us mentality.

You can blame it on what you want but if over 38 games you finish in the bottom 3 then you deserve relegation, no matter how full of star quality your squad is. And you had Steve McClaren as manager, Ashley got exactly what he deserved for employing the wally with the brolly, maybe Sports Direct had a few umbrellas he wanted to get rid of.

What did I say that's incorrect like? Or are we only look at the surface? If the latter is the case then could you do me favour and put a note round to the rest of the league to stop whining on about our resources, our manager and the rest? I mean we won the league, so our £55m summer spend shouldn't be mentioned at all?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Are we bothered what anyone else thinks? I don't,after watching my team lose their ground, play at Gillingham, an athletics track, nearly going out of the League. No I don't give a flying TBO. I have just witnessed my club their loyal and new supporters celebrate a happy and historic season. The happy faces of young and old decked out in blue & white is what cheers me.

Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow.

---- L. Ron Hubbard

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
It's best to ignore the trolls. Looking at Twitter, it amazed me yesterday how many Palace fans were paying close attention to Albion having a promotion parade on the day they confirmed they had survived in the Premier League. You would have thought they'd have better things to focus on but clearly not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here