Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trump

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Even the Republican Party are steadily distancing themselves from the bloke now. It would actually be quite funny if he didn't have access to the nuclear launch codes. Lamebrain needs removing from office ASAP, by whatever means, before he inflicts very serious long lasting damage on the entire planet.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
This is a good post from elsewhere.

This an extraordinarily complex situation, and as such will be misrepresented and simplified by the media.
The Charlottesville clash was precipitated by the Charlottesville City Council changing the name of Robert E Lee Park to Emancipation Park and taking down the Robert E Lee statue.
The Charlottesville City Council is fully in their right to do this, and conversely individuals who disagree with the decision are fully in their right to protest this decision.
The legacy of the Confederacy is very complicated. In one sense the Confederacy was based on defense of the racist institution of slavery, and in another sense based on state's rights.
Robert E Lee believed at the outset that secession from the Union to defend slavery was not a good idea, but he found himself choosing to take the side of Virginia in the impending war with the United States.
For some, Robert E Lee represents the racist subjugation of African Americans, for others he represents the defense of Southern independence from the federal government.
There's no doubt that there were white nationalists who came to protest the removal of the statue. Their views were on display in the form of racist signs and symbols in today's clash. However, there is no doubt some who protest the removal of the statue, who don't hold racist views but see the Robert E Lee statue as a symbol of Virginia and the South and the effort to cleanse the South of Confederate symbols as a politically-correct campaign to white-wash history.
As for the counter-protesters, these too likely had a mixture of groups and intentions. For some, they came to legitimately protest what they see as a racist campaign to defend the Confederacy. However there is no doubt that the anarchist/Marxist group Antifa came not to protest, but to forcefully/violently prevent the legal assembly of statue removal protesters.
The pro-Robert E Lee statue protesters obviously anticipated Antifa blocking them so they brought shields and weapons to defend/attack and allow them to protest the statue removal. Antifa obviously anticipated the clash as they too brought shields and weapons. A recipe for disaster and thus the clash - a well anticipated and orchestrated event.
Lost in the clash, are the peaceful individuals on both sides who legitimately wanted to practice their freedom of speech and assembly to protest and counter-protest.
These complexities will likely be washed over and this will simply become a result of the Trump presidency. As the media already showing they are blaming Breitbart and Steve Bannon. This completely ignores the relatively recent phenomenon of Confederacy legacy removal.
No doubt, if Hillary Clinton was president we would see the same sort of clash play out again and again.
What's the solution? I don't know. But I feel it's important to take an honest overview of all sides in this complex situation.

Where is that post from?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I quite liked hearing Trump referred to as '45' (45th President) by the deputy mayor of Charlottesville in a Radio 4 interview.
He never once mentioned his name. Using the term 45 nicely took away any respect for his position.

I'm looking forward to watching 'Trump' the movie. I reckon we're only about 30 minutes into the story so far.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I quite liked hearing Trump referred to as '45' (45th President) by the deputy mayor of Charlottesville in a Radio 4 interview.
He never once mentioned his name. Using the term 45 nicely took away any respect for his position.

I'm looking forward to watching 'Trump' the movie. I reckon we're only about 30 minutes into the story so far.

I doubt cinema will be a high priority for those that are left.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I doubt cinema will be a high priority for those that are left.

this episode is highlighting exactly what all that nonsense was last week was all about - distraction from domestic issues. now he'll be forced back to domestic agendas and wont have time to posture on fire and fury etc while the grown ups over that part of the world take over.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It was on some clickbait this morning when I woke up on Twitter and found it pretty neutral. Looks like it came from The Donald on reddit though, so you know what that means, it's now automatically ignored.

you would ignore something because were it comes from rather than the content? the comment seems fair enough, there was more to the Civil War than slavery.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
this episode is highlighting exactly what all that nonsense was last week was all about - distraction from domestic issues. now he'll be forced back to domestic agendas and wont have time to posture on fire and fury etc while the grown ups over that part of the world take over.

As said John Oliver nails both topicals on this weeks 'Last Week Tonight'.

If you can't see it legally, or otherwise, it'll be on Youtube in a few days.

I don't know how long this will last before being bloked:-

[tweet]897095820520116225[/tweet]

Last edited:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
This is a good post from elsewhere.

This an extraordinarily complex situation, and as such will be misrepresented and simplified by the media.
The Charlottesville clash was precipitated by the Charlottesville City Council changing the name of Robert E Lee Park to Emancipation Park and taking down the Robert E Lee statue.
The Charlottesville City Council is fully in their right to do this, and conversely individuals who disagree with the decision are fully in their right to protest this decision.
The legacy of the Confederacy is very complicated. In one sense the Confederacy was based on defense of the racist institution of slavery, and in another sense based on state's rights.
Robert E Lee believed at the outset that secession from the Union to defend slavery was not a good idea, but he found himself choosing to take the side of Virginia in the impending war with the United States.
For some, Robert E Lee represents the racist subjugation of African Americans, for others he represents the defense of Southern independence from the federal government.
There's no doubt that there were white nationalists who came to protest the removal of the statue. Their views were on display in the form of racist signs and symbols in today's clash. However, there is no doubt some who protest the removal of the statue, who don't hold racist views but see the Robert E Lee statue as a symbol of Virginia and the South and the effort to cleanse the South of Confederate symbols as a politically-correct campaign to white-wash history.
As for the counter-protesters, these too likely had a mixture of groups and intentions. For some, they came to legitimately protest what they see as a racist campaign to defend the Confederacy. However there is no doubt that the anarchist/Marxist group Antifa came not to protest, but to forcefully/violently prevent the legal assembly of statue removal protesters.
The pro-Robert E Lee statue protesters obviously anticipated Antifa blocking them so they brought shields and weapons to defend/attack and allow them to protest the statue removal. Antifa obviously anticipated the clash as they too brought shields and weapons. A recipe for disaster and thus the clash - a well anticipated and orchestrated event.
Lost in the clash, are the peaceful individuals on both sides who legitimately wanted to practice their freedom of speech and assembly to protest and counter-protest.
These complexities will likely be washed over and this will simply become a result of the Trump presidency. As the media already showing they are blaming Breitbart and Steve Bannon. This completely ignores the relatively recent phenomenon of Confederacy legacy removal.
No doubt, if Hillary Clinton was president we would see the same sort of clash play out again and again.
What's the solution? I don't know. But I feel it's important to take an honest overview of all sides in this complex situation.

A Kentucky Mayor has also proposed a similar thing in regards to moving statues in Lexington. Will be interesting to follow how that goes down.

I suspect it won't be met with as much resistance as for one Kentucky didn't play a role like Virginia did in the Civil War and secondly and smartly imo they have said they are moving the statues to Veterans Park which should seem a reasonable alternative.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
As said John Oliver nails both topicals on this weeks 'Last Week Tonight'.

If you can't see it legally, or otherwise, it'll be on Youtube in a few days.

I don't know how long this will last before being bloked:-

That was one of his better rants

The 'on many sides' equivocation reminds me of a well-known UK politician who also has trouble specifically condemning extremists/murderers/terrorists.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
you would ignore something because were it comes from rather than the content? the comment seems fair enough, there was more to the Civil War than slavery.

Not at all, I have a very open mind to anything put before me, most on this thread are so brainwashed though that anything that comes from somewhere that isn't hating DT then it's discounted. I still think it is a good comment.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
CNN fake news

[tweet]897138926930067458[/tweet]

Trump: "Racism is evil and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, Neo-Nazis, & White Supremacists"

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
President Lyndon Baines Johnson once argued, “If you can convince the lowest white man he’s better than the best colored man, he won’t notice you’re picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he’ll empty his pockets for you.”

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't watch John Oliver videos, his audience are insufferable. *whoops and hollers like a gibbon*

At the moment there's very little our American cousins excel at, you've gotta leave them with something, even if it is 'the worlds greatest pisspoor TV audiences'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here