Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trump

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I do wonder, listening to five live just now, whether liberal leftism is a core ingredient in the rise of far right. The caller epitomised intolerance, shouting down, bawling at, accusing and inflaming what sounded like a far calmer person who simply didn’t share his views on Trump. It was a classic how to make things worse, there was no attempt to understand his views or even acknowledge that like it or not MILLIONS of Americans voted for Trump. It’s was a bit like starting a negotiation with ‘right, you’re a c****...’ with a red face to boot. And what is the point, we don’t even live there, we have no say in the matter.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
That"s one example of worthless degrees. There's more out there.

Going to college doesn't make you more intelligent than those who didn't.

As the recent college scandal has proven, there's a system of nepotism where kids are getting in because of who they know, not what they know.

There also needs to be a break down of what subjects are favoured by Democrats and what favoured by Republicans.

If the Democrats are churning out basic teachers and the Republicans are churning out Engineers then as an intelligence based subject Engineers are smarter than Teachers.

As Mark Twain said "Lies, damned lies and statistics".

What other degrees are "worthless" and how do you decide which degree has merit and which doesn't?

"Going to college doesn't make you more intelligent than those who didn't" On what basis do you make this statement ( beyond personal prejudice). College entrance relies on a minimum academic achievement in secondary education. People who achieve higher grades at school are generally cleverer than those who don't. Now other issues affect academic achievement and college attendance ( primarily poverty and social class) but what evidence is there to refute the reasonable assumption that those who attend college are in general more intelligent than those who don't?

Of the 1.9 million degrees awarded what percentage are achieved by people who gained their place through questionable means and what is their pass rate compared to the general population?

"There also needs to be a break down of what subjects are favoured by Democrats and what favoured by Republicans." Imo this is your best question, it could well be that one group favours degrees which are harder to achieve. Unfortunately you haven't proffered any evidence of what that breakdown may be.

What is you basis for assuming engineers are smarter than teachers?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
What other degrees are "worthless" and how do you decide which degree has merit and which doesn't?

"Going to college doesn't make you more intelligent than those who didn't" On what basis do you make this statement ( beyond personal prejudice). College entrance relies on a minimum academic achievement in secondary education. People who achieve higher grades at school are generally cleverer than those who don't. Now other issues affect academic achievement and college attendance ( primarily poverty and social class) but what evidence is there to refute the reasonable assumption that those who attend college are in general more intelligent than those who don't?

Of the 1.9 million degrees awarded what percentage are achieved by people who gained their place through questionable means and what is their pass rate compared to the general population?

"There also needs to be a break down of what subjects are favoured by Democrats and what favoured by Republicans." Imo this is your best question, it could well be that one group favours degrees which are harder to achieve. Unfortunately you haven't proffered any evidence of what that breakdown may be.

What is you basis for assuming engineers are smarter than teachers?

On the basis the scores required to get into an Engineering degree are higher than that of Teachers.

Teaching is easier to get into than engineering.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Given that he is right in his judgement, yes it would.

He doesn't work for Trump.
He was right in his judgement (IMO). It doesn't matter than he doesn't work for Trump - the question is whether it's important that our ambassador to the US has a good relationship with the US. I don't know about these things, but I'd guess that it is important.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
On the basis the scores required to get into an Engineering degree are higher than that of Teachers.

Do you have any data to support that? Also what about the other three questions and any luck with finding anything on the types of degrees democrats and republicans have ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He was right in his judgement (IMO). It doesn't matter than he doesn't work for Trump - the question is whether it's important that our ambassador to the US has a good relationship with the US. I don't know about these things, but I'd guess that it is important.

Do we know yet which shit stirring violator of his or her contract, and possobly the official secrets act, fed this to the press?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

I think it would be less important if we weren't so constrained by Brexit. The timing of this leak is hugely significant with Johnson coming in as PM.

Farage also jumped on this extremely quickly, which tells you all you need to know. Someone wanted him Darroch and the police need to find out who did this.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Good point.

However, once the Mail had reported it, would it be right for the ambassador to stay in that role?

That is a good question and perhaps the answer is 'no.

The Mail knew that so this was a deliberate act of anti-British treachery (with the only winner being Trump).

Good old Mail. But it would be wrong of me to bring up their past support for Hitler. Very wrong indeed.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The only hope is the moderates that voted for Trump because they hated Hilary will finally see the light, Trump is just a wrong-un and not fit for office

That said America voted for George Bush Junior twice, a second term still seems likely

Real life House of Cards

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

In the U.K., and for secondary school, one typically does a regular degree, then a post-graduate teaching qualification. Which bit is easier to get into than your “engineering” degree? And what if the person wishes to become a maths or physics teacher and therefore does maths or physics? Still easier than your “engineering”?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Given that he is right in his judgement, yes it would.

He doesn't work for Trump.

IMO!

Basically we got bullied into making our man in Washington resign, that's taking back control

Its a shape of things to come, god forbid we have to do a trade deal with the US, there will only be one winner.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Trump is a bully but knows exactly what he is doing. Any attempt at dissension is met with force and lies by him. The ‘racist’ statement is a way of concentrating his base on the fear of a different America to the one he promises where whites rule supreme.
America has always been divided he’s just pushing it further apart.
CNN has a very thought provoking article today.
‘There's a sobering truth to Trump's racist tweets that we don't like to admit’

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think it would be less important if we weren't so constrained by Brexit. The timing of this leak is hugely significant with Johnson coming in as PM.

Farage also jumped on this extremely quickly, which tells you all you need to know. Someone wanted him Darroch and the police need to find out who did this.

Farage's partner in the Brexit company is Tice who is Oakeshott's lover.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Our politicians in general should of course be free to criticise foreign leaders. What I'm not sure about, however, is whether the should criticise the leader of the country they are ambassador to. Should our ambassador to the US not just keep their opinions of the shit US leader to themselves? What are the important roles of our ambassadors (apart from a love of a certain chocolate)? Is it not important for them to keep a good relationship with the country they're working with?

It's part of his job to feed back to Government a realistic and objective assessment of what is going on in the Country he is Ambassador to.

It was not he who LEAKED this stuff. It was not meant for public consumption either in the US or here. And do I remember reading somewhere that it dated from 2 years ago?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

Utter bollocks.

all teaching jobs require a degree followed by a post grad in teaching and so effectively you now need a masters before being let loose in the classroom. Granted you do not necessarily need a degree in the subject you teach but should have the experience to cover the subject. As an engineer you could teach physics or maths but couldn’t teach the humanities or the arts.

Entry requirements for maths, physics and chemistry tend to be higher than for engineering. I have an engineering degree but have no A levels and only one o’level. Like many who study engineering I went the BTEC route. I also have an MBA which whilst technically easier than engineering had a much higher level of work.

It’s actually easier to get on an engineering degree course than say the humanities due to BTEC qualifications.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here