Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trump

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
In line with politics 101 Trump's ratings only go up when threatening another country or being associated with conflict. Remember when Kirchner used to raise the issue of the Falklands to deflect from the Argentinian economic crisis? Or when the Spanish president would revisit the issue of Gibraltar? These are never things done when all is well at home.

The potential war with North Korea was waxed and waned in terms of drawing domestic support. He needs something new, ideally, and I realise how this sounds, Trump's ratings would do far better if there was some sort of attack on the US. He could then cite his travel ban and other positioning as justified why whilst scolding his opponents at home. Plus people are starting to ask questions, even his core support. Where's the wall? What's with Obamacare?

All of this would go away if one crazy launched an attack on US soil, or something happened abroad. He's doing his best to bait it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I’ve always found something deeply unpleasant about the insular nature of the US.

They still have this attitude that as the land of the free and the home of the brave they are superior to the rest of the world. There is no thought that any country in the world could do things better than them.

Trump epitomises this sadly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find travelling in middle America the most insular place on earth, many find it hard to look beyond their own State boundary let alone the US. Trump really is their dream

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people remained silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita...
Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds...
I 'spose we all thought that, one way or another.

Robert Oppenheimer

or

Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read,
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozymandius, King of Kings,
Look on my words, ye Mighty, and Despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay,
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Percy Shelley

whichever, not good!

......... This is far too erudite for NSC...........

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
TBH.... I really do think he cares about what people think. However, he never tempers his behaviour to influence how they think. He does something tw@tishly tw@ty because he's a tw@t and then gets royally p1ssed off because people call him a tw@t for doing his tw@tishly tw@ty action.

He desperately wants everyone to think he is wonderful - but he wants them to change rather than changing himself!

Well put. If people don't love him, they will always be wrong.

We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people remained silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita...
Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds...
I 'spose we all thought that, one way or another.

Robert Oppenheimer

or

Percy Shelley

whichever, not good!

Takes me back to 2nd year English in 71/72 and a dragon of an English teacher (purely coincidentally, wife of the headmaster) who thought that the best way of imbuing a love of Shakespeare in class of 12/13 year old boys was to make us learn chunks of it and punish for not being work perfect. She would have Sh*t Trump and Putin and ISIS would have fled screaming with fear! I am sure Ozymandius was one of her faves as well.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The way this total idiot is going, I doubt he'll see impeachment before he gets a bullet in that empty head of his.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
In many ways Trump is a deliberate distraction (and explains why the GOP is happy to put up with him) for the economic elite:

https://www.thenation.com/article/donald-trump-is-just-the-front-man-for-a-massive-heist/

But he is also a very dangerous distraction. As his antics provide the space for the rise of the nasty, racist, element that has always been present in US society, but has now been emoldened. Which will lead to serious trouble in coming years, hastening the decline of the US as a global power.

The scary thing is just how far out of his depth he is but is too stupid and too arrogant to realise.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Takes me back to 2nd year English in 71/72 and a dragon of an English teacher (purely coincidentally, wife of the headmaster) who thought that the best way of imbuing a love of Shakespeare in class of 12/13 year old boys was to make us learn chunks of it and punish for not being work perfect. She would have Sh*t Trump and Putin and ISIS would have fled screaming with fear! I am sure Ozymandius was one of her faves as well.

Not good enough. Detention.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Percy Shelley

I'm intrigued by this: you either copied this out by hand. Why would you do that when there are dozens of literary sites that print the poem in full?

Or you cut and paste from some weird site that can't spell Ozymandias and can't quote "Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!" accurately.

And his name wasn't Percy Shelley, it was Percy Bysshe Shelley, he used his name in full. If you want to use just one, then you should use Bysshe, which is how he was known

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I find travelling in middle America the most insular place on earth, many find it hard to look beyond their own State boundary let alone the US. Trump really is their dream

West Sussex la la la

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
He'll be annoyed fellow sex pest Roy Moore lost that hot bed of liberal pinkos Alabama.

This interview is hilarious.

[tweet]940704581742419969[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He'll be annoyed fellow sex pest Roy Moore lost that hot bed of liberal pinkos Alabama.

That's what happens when 'everybody else' votes against Trump.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I love the look of utter incredulity when told no-one has to swear on the bible.

Got me checking that you can be an atheist and hold public office. It turns out you can, the Supreme Court held this to be the case .... in 1961 :ohmy:

So, within my lifetime, someone could be disqualified from public office because he/she didn't believe in God. That seems incredible to me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know it's just an exit poll, but still kind of tough to call it wrong with numbers like that.

DQ5caRgUEAAzFKl.jpg

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I love the look of utter incredulity when told no-one has to swear on the bible.

Got me checking that you can be an atheist and hold public office. It turns out you can, the Supreme Court held this to be the case .... in 1961 :ohmy:

So, within my lifetime, someone could be disqualified from public office because he/she didn't believe in God. That seems incredible to me.

It's beyond comical isn't it? Throw in the accent as well, winner.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

[tweet]940704581742419969[/tweet]

Thick as shit.

Roy Moore's views on constitutional amendments (or his voicing of them) lost him that election.Scarily, he'd most likely have won otherwise, the black vote destroyed him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here