Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trump

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
The others I'm reading about with the most buzz are Elizabeth Warren and Deval Patrick.

Patrick is a name which currently gets people going. God knows what Trump would throw at him. We know what ever appalling things he says about people it doesn't make the slightest difference with the majority of his support. But Patrick is tough and might well give as good as he gets if he ran. Biden is already 75, so surely too old by 2020. Also easy for Trump to attack and portray him as too much of a DC insider, too establishment. So I think not a fight for him. Warren is a northern liberal who might not play well with white working class men in the rust belt and southern states and again. She's left of Hilary but Trump would say she's just another Hilary - you can hear it.
If I were a democratic party manager I'd want someone young(ish) ( Democrats really need to appeal to young) and who could offer Americans a vision. Make it about the economy, be positive and take Trump on about how you create new jobs now and in the future - when the robots will be doing many more. The main thing they must do is to find someone who has the best chance of beating Trump and then work like hell to make that happen.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Patrick is a name which currently gets people going. God knows what Trump would throw at him. We know what ever appalling things he says about people it doesn't make the slightest difference with the majority of his support. But Patrick is tough and might well give as good as he gets if he ran. Biden is already 75, so surely too old by 2020. Also easy for Trump to attack and portray him as too much of a DC insider, too establishment. So I think not a fight for him. Warren is a northern liberal who might not play well with white working class men in the rust belt and southern states and again. She's left of Hilary but Trump would say she's just another Hilary - you can hear it.
If I were a democratic party manager I'd want someone young(ish) ( Democrats really need to appeal to young) and who could offer Americans a vision. Make it about the economy, be positive and take Trump on about how you create new jobs now and in the future - when the robots will be doing many more. The main thing they must do is to find someone who has the best chance of beating Trump and then work like hell to make that happen.

Well if Patrick were running today, even 45 could find this:-

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_coverage/2017/12/deval_patricks_predatory_in_law_busted

As much as I can't see it happening I still wouldn't completely rule out Obama coming back, esp now he can see just how much more golf he can play.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It isn't Russia where you can 'do a Putin' as Prime Minister and then return as President.

Obama has done his 2 terms.

Finito.

You can't do 3 consecutive terms, but you can make a 'come back'.

Not finito.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
You can't do 3 consecutive terms, but you can make a 'come back'.

Not finito.

Yes, finito.

According to the 22nd Amendment: "No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of President more than once."

https://constitutioncenter.org/interactive-constitution/amendments/amendment-xxii

Nothing ambiguous about consecutive terms there. The only potential get-around is if he runs as Vice President (so, technically not "elected to the office"), and then gets the president to resign.

Or he could stage a could stage a coup and suspend the constitution I guess.

It's Russia's constitution that has the "consecutive terms" bit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes, finito.

According to the 22nd Amendment: "No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of President more than once."

https://constitutioncenter.org/interactive-constitution/amendments/amendment-xxii

Nothing ambiguous about consecutive terms there. The only potential get-around is if he runs as Vice President (so, technically not "elected to the office"), and then gets the president to resign.

Or he could stage a could stage a coup and suspend the constitution I guess.

It's Russia's constitution that has the "consecutive terms" bit.

Turns out you do learn something every day on NSC.

I knew the constitution had been changed after FDR, but would have come to blows regarding the possibility of a comeback after stepping aside for an election.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

You're assuming Trumpo will still BE there in 2020...

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Republicans going into meltdown phase. And that piece of s*** Steve Bannon is getting a lot of the flack.

They just cannot understand how a redneck state like Alabama has been won by a liberal, pro-choice candidate like Jones.

The reverberations and recriminations will go on for a long time

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I don't really know anything about either of these candidates other than what I have read about him being a pedo.

Can someone explain to me how a Paedophile is allowed to run? How is he not in jail? I am so confused as to how this has even taken place.

So after reading about him being a paedo what conclusion did you come to?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
61 minutes ago....... "The train accident that just occurred in DuPont, WA shows more than ever why our soon to be submitted infrastructure plan must be approved quickly. Seven trillion dollars spent in the Middle East while our roads, bridges, tunnels, railways (and more) crumble! Not for long! "

51 minutes ago....".My thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved in the train accident in DuPont, Washington. Thank you to all of our wonderful First Responders who are on the scene. We are currently monitoring here at the White House."

Looks like someone said, " Er ? Mr President, at times of national tragedy its usually best to express sympathy rather than score political points "

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
61 minutes ago....... "The train accident that just occurred in DuPont, WA shows more than ever why our soon to be submitted infrastructure plan must be approved quickly. Seven trillion dollars spent in the Middle East while our roads, bridges, tunnels, railways (and more) crumble! Not for long! "

51 minutes ago....".My thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved in the train accident in DuPont, Washington. Thank you to all of our wonderful First Responders who are on the scene. We are currently monitoring here at the White House."

Looks like someone said, " Er ? Mr President, at times of national tragedy its usually best to express sympathy rather than score political points "

I saw this. Just underlines (as if we needed it) what a repulsive, reprehensible, egotistical, dumb moron this man is and I have absolutely no time for anyone who supports him.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Speech by Trump on Sky News at the moment. You can see why he appeals to a lot of Americans - very much America First so will appeal to nationalism.

I thought he appealed to a lot of Americans because the ones he appeals to are thick! Some non thick Americans might have voted for him not because he 'appealed' to them but because HC appealed even less!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Don't tell him, Pike!

UN resolution on deluded Trump wanting Jerusalem as Israel's capital has been interesting. Despite Trump wanting to list names and threatening to withdraw all aid to any country voting against him, it did little for making America Great Again......

Only nine states – including the United States and Israel –voted against the resolution. The other countries which supported Washington were Togo, Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Marshall Islands, Guatemala, and Honduras.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Don't tell him, Pike!

UN resolution on deluded Trump wanting Jerusalem as Israel's capital has been interesting. Despite Trump wanting to list names and threatening to withdraw all aid to any country voting against him, it did little for making America Great Again......

Only nine states – including the United States and Israel –voted against the resolution. The other countries which supported Washington were Togo, Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Marshall Islands, Guatemala, and Honduras.

Do you think he's realised yet ?, that maybe, just maybe, he's got it wrong again ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here