Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Make America Great Again

Du5a18NWkAIdnxg.jpg

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Can anyone enlighten me? To get bills passed, to go to war, etc, tRump needs to go through the House and the Senate, right? So how can something as important as leaving Syria 'just happen'? What else can a president do on his own?

I genuinely don't understand.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Can anyone enlighten me? To get bills passed, to go to war, etc, tRump needs to go through the House and the Senate, right? So how can something as important as leaving Syria 'just happen'? What else can a president do on his own?

He's Commander in Chief of the military. I guess he does what he wants in this scenario, hence the worry about him having the nuclear codes!

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
He's Commander in Chief of the military. I guess he does what he wants in this scenario, hence the worry about him having the nuclear codes!

So he *could* go to war with anyone if he decides to? Trying to remember, when Bush wanted Blair's support to invade Iraq, was it just us that needed it to get through Parliament then? For Bush, it was fait accompli?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
So he *could* go to war with anyone if he decides to? Trying to remember, when Bush wanted Blair's support to invade Iraq, was it just us that needed it to get through Parliament then? For Bush, it was fait accompli?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/oct/11/usa.iraq - needs Congressional support. Trump won't be able to go to war on his say so, certainly not in the new year when the Democrats have control (though they did vote in favour in Iraq!).

Edit: I realise nuclear bombs are an act of war, just making the point about the unnease of Trump more or less being in charge.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

He technically has them, but does he have the faintest clue where he put them? As with everything beyond getting washed and dressed, I think the Orange Oaf starts everything with, "Oy you, where is ..." or "Oy you, I want to ....... make it happen".

I think his total incompetence and probably mental illness, is actually what's keeping everyone safe on this one.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...p-government-shutdown-border-wall-latest-live

Donald Trump’s decision to withdraw American troops from Syria was made hastily, without consulting his national security team or allies, and over strong objections from virtually everyone involved in the fight against the Islamic State, the Associated Press reports:

Trump stunned his Cabinet, lawmakers and much of the world with the move by rejecting the advice of his top aides and agreeing to a withdrawal in a phone call with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan last week, two officials briefed on the matter said.

The Dec. 14 call, described by officials who were not authorized to discuss the decision-making process publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity, is a view into a Trump decision with profound consequences, including the resignation of widely respected Defense Secretary Jim Mattis...

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo arranged the Dec. 14 call a day after he had unsuccessfully sought clarity from Turkish counterpart Mevlut Cavusoglu about Erdogan’s threats to launch a military operation against U.S.-backed Kurdish rebels in northeast Syria, where American forces are based.

Pompeo, Mattis and other members of the national security team prepared a list of talking points for Trump to tell Erdogan to back off, the officials said.

But the officials said Trump, who had previously accepted such advice and convinced the Turkish leader not to attack the Kurds and put U.S. troops at risk, ignored the script. Instead, the president sided with Erdogan.

The officials said the conversation set off a frantic, four-day scramble to convince the president either to reverse or delay the decision to give the military and Kurdish forces time to prepare for an orderly withdrawal. Trump, however, was unmoved, they said.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/oct/11/usa.iraq - needs Congressional support. Trump won't be able to go to war on his say so, certainly not in the new year when the Democrats have control (though they did vote in favour in Iraq!).

Edit: I realise nuclear bombs are an act of war, just making the point about the unnease of Trump more or less being in charge.

Right. That's clearer. And reading your next posts is what I thought. But if he can order the withdrawal of troops casuing this much anxiety in the world (after all, none of America's allies think this should be happening), is there basically a sheet of paper with 2 columns on it, filled on the left withThings That Need To Go Through Government, and on the right You Can Do These Things And We Have No Say...?

Being flippant but do you know what I mean?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
What else can a president do on his own?

Press the button.

This was posted on Twitter earlier by the director of a group called Global Zero. Seems to know what he's talking about. Be very afraid, people.
With Mattis and Kelly heading for the door and the myth of “adults in the room” evaporating, now feels like a good time to remind everyone that, yes, We The People really did hand a flailing, impulsive ignoramus the unadulterated power to end life on Earth as we know it.

On a daily basis folks insist to me this isn’t how it works. They need to believe that someone — Sec Def, the Joint Chiefs, or a general, somewhere, surely — has to agree. Because the alternative sounds too insane to be real life. Allow me to burst your precious bubble.

Everywhere Trump goes, the nuclear briefcase follows. Inside it are levers to weapons made to wipe cities off the map. At any moment he can open it up, flip through its black book of targets, pick up the phone, and tell the Pentagon which armageddon on the menu he likes best.

The officer in charge of the National Military Commander Center (the “War Room”), who may not be any more senior than a colonel, will be on the other end of the line. A small group of senior advisors/commanders may or may not be patched in depending on their availability.

This is where folks assume top brass has to agree. Nope! This is a "consultation" only to the extent POTUS wants to have a conversation. He can end discussion immediately. Sure, people can refuse/resign, but a disobedient officer in the War Room will be immediately replaced.

Once given the order must be verified. It's the only “check” in the process. The War Room officer reads a challenge code and POTUS reads the matching response on a little card he carries w/ him always. Then, like magic, the order is imbued w/ full power of the presidency.

A verified order has presumption of legality and the pressure to obey will be massive. Executing officers in the chain of command have no legal/procedural grounds to defy it no matter how inappropriate it seems. If POTUS's identity is confirmed, the order is considered legit.

From there the order speeds through the system, encrypted in a message half the length of a tweet. This happens FAST. By the time it reaches its final destination — launch officers in underground silos — only a few minutes will have passed since POTUS opened the briefcase.

Five launch crews w/ 2 officers each, spread miles apart underground and overseeing 50-missile squadrons, receive these orders. The 20-something-year-old officers open their safes and make sure the War Room's codes match. If they do, they unlock the missiles and target them.

Each pair of officers then inserts their twin launch keys and turns them together. (The “2-man rule” is at the bottom of the chain, not the top.) Each crew turning their keys generates a “vote” to launch. 5 crews means 5 votes. It only takes 2 votes to launch the missiles.

To block the launch, 4 of the 5 crews would have refuse to obey what seems like a legitimate order from the commander-in-chief, without the benefit of any outside info. If that mutiny is where you pin your hopes for all of human civilization, good ******* luck with that.

The whole process, from POTUS cracking open the briefcase to city-killing missiles climbing into the air, takes less than 5 minutes. There are no take-backs. There's no way to stop or cancel a launched missile.

Bear in mind these weapons are 10-20x more powerful than the bombs dropped on Japan, and travel at 22x the speed of sound. They'll obliterate target cities in 30 mins or less. Hundreds of millions of people will be dead faster than POTUS can get a big mac sent into the Oval.

I don’t blame you for refusing to believe. I’m not sure I’d believe it myself, had I not heard directly from nuclear command and control experts, veteran launch officers, and the 4-star general who commanded all US nuclear forces. But this is real. This is how it works.

Trump may be the most unfit person to ever hold the office, but this is the vast, terrible power we bestow on every American president. At the heart of our democracy is an undemocratic nuclear monarchy that holds the whole world hostage to one man's decision-making.

The system is bonkers — but it doesn't have to be. There's a bill in Congress *right now* that would make it impossible for any president, Republican or Democrat, to start a nuclear war on their own.

#NoFirstUse can fix this. Hard to imagine anything more urgent or obvious.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The fault of the Democrats...

[tweet]1076315598618013696[/tweet]

...in a Republican controlled, House. Senate & President.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Is there anything in the American constiution similar to a Jacob Rees-Mogg style vote of no confidence in the leader? If enough Republicans got their act together, could they depose him?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Is there anything in the American constiution similar to a Jacob Rees-Mogg style vote of no confidence in the leader? If enough Republicans got their act together, could they depose him?
Sort of.

There's impeachment which is initiated by Congress and voted on by Senate ( 2/3rds majority needed to succeed, I think ).

Or, the 25th Amendment when the Vice President and cabinet take a vote to remove the President if he is deemed unfit for office.

Both of these would not be done lightly.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Press the button.

This was posted on Twitter earlier by the director of a group called Global Zero. Seems to know what he's talking about. Be very afraid, people.
With Mattis and Kelly heading for the door and the myth of “adults in the room” evaporating, now feels like a good time to remind everyone that, yes, We The People really did hand a flailing, impulsive ignoramus the unadulterated power to end life on Earth as we know it.

The Washington Post puts it succinctly: "But the current debate is less about limiting Trump’s use of troops than encouraging him to keep them in the field — and no authorization can force the president to do that."

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I wounder who might benifit finachicaly from giving the US markets the jitters following

President Donald Trump has lashed out at the US central bank for stock market turmoil, saying the American economy's only problem is the Fed itself.
In a tweet, Mr Trump said the Federal Reserve lacks understanding of markets and "necessary trade wars".
Mr Trump's treasury secretary is meanwhile scrambling to calm investors.
The Dow Jones fell more than 650 points before close on Monday. The index is on track for its worst December since 1931 during the Great Depression.
The sharp decline comes amid a partial government shutdown, US-China trade tensions and reports the president has discussed firing Fed chairman Jerome Powell.
On Sunday US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin took the unusual step of calling the chief executives of America's six largest banks in a bid to soothe market jitters.
On Monday, he was calling top market regulators and officials from the US central bank to allay fears about the economy.

Someone's making a lot of money somwhere

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here