Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Palace thing

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
I remember singing nasty but quite wonderful anti scum songs on the school bus in the early 70s, so it goes back long before Mullery.

TB

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I suspect that the genuine hatred between Malcolm Allison and Alan Mullery also helped add fuel to the fire.

It wasn't a specific comment. I was just musing on the friction between them two in games where they managed teams against each other.

How exactly did the genuine hatred between Allison and Mullery help add "fuel to the fire" of the Brighton/Palace rivalry?

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I've never seen that clip ! They really didn't like each other did they, Mullery seemed to have the upper hand and a bit more class too !
I suspect that the genuine hatred between Malcolm Allison and Alan Mullery also helped add fuel to the fire. This is them in 1970, holding nothing back when slagging off each other. Well worth watching if you've never seen it before. Now imagine those two sharing a touchline as opposing managers a few years later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrLOJtD6Zd4

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
How exactly did the genuine hatred between Allison and Mullery help add "fuel to the fire" of the Brighton/Palace rivalry?

I suspect that Mullery didn't much like Palace and Venables by proxy. 1970s Palace WAS Malcolm Allison. He gave them success, changed their nickname, changed their kit. It's not the greatest of mental leaps to suggest that Mullery might dislike the team that Allison moulded in his own image.

Sorry I can't give you the exact answer as you demanded but I'm not a mind reader, hence my comment about 'suspecting'.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Ahhhh ok cheers mate! Chinese whispers and all that over the years, the story gets distorted I guess as I definitely heard something about spitting, or maybe that was just a conversation I was having with the wife last night and absolutely nothing to do with this!!!! :albion2:

It was after a cup replay at Stamford bridge a palace fan chucked a cup of coffee over mullery and he lobbed his loose change on the floor and said you palace ain't worth that along with some other choice words no doubt it had been boiling up for a few yrs before coming to a head in 77/78

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I used to drink in Joe bananas ..... it was in East Croydon........ coincidence??

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I suspect that the genuine hatred between Malcolm Allison and Alan Mullery also helped add fuel to the fire. This is them in 1970, holding nothing back when slagging off each other. Well worth watching if you've never seen it before. Now imagine those two sharing a touchline as opposing managers a few years later.

Excellent video that,saw it a few weeks ago for the first time and well the writing was on the wall,the planets aligned & with Palace having no real London rival and us on the up,getting promoted at the same time twice helped...

As for the OP it was (1974) not (1979) aside from that fairly spot on..

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I had my nose broken up there in 1976- 77 season

Think that was the one where me and my brother had to take shelter behind a police van while their lot threw rocks at us.

I didn't take it personally. It was more a case of bad policing around their shitty little ghetto.

In some respects, we had existed so long in a rival free zone (when I started in 1969 Pompey were the ones sung about, yet we never played them) and apart from the occasional visit of Millwall in their J-cloth 'masks', it was all rather gentle.

So in some respects the Palace thing is coincidence, fed by repetition, some almost unavoidable intercessions, and a need for some people to have a team to hate. Apologies to those who are still fixated. That said, I'm all for mocking other teams in our division, and getting one over them (which, let's face it, will be an aspiration on hold for much of next season).

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I suspect that Mullery didn't much like Palace and Venables by proxy. 1970s Palace WAS Malcolm Allison. He gave them success, changed their nickname, changed their kit. It's not the greatest of mental leaps to suggest that Mullery might dislike the team that Allison moulded in his own image.

Sorry I can't give you the exact answer as you demanded but I'm not a mind reader, hence my comment about 'suspecting'.

Even easier to imagine Mullery and Venables sharing a touchline! :thumbsup:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Imagine for a moment that the Football clubs are the Husbands,the managers the wives and that will peel back the curtain a little...

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Allison was a prick. I remember him posing in the team bath with that old slapper Fiona Richmond. I didn't know he played as an actual player......... and he has the gaule to have a pop at Mullers. Anyway he got mullered there. You can see why people would have hated Palace when he was their manager. The Venables thing was obvious as well. He wasn't in Mullery's class.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just watch the Allison Mullery video, and would like to retract my previous email. Yes, Palace are *****. Allison was a ****ing ********. I ****ing hate palace. Absolute shite hole club. Scum. I hope they never win another game, and descend into the bowels of hell. ****ers. *****. Shysters. Bollocks to them.

:lolol:

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
76-77

both in old div3

both getting big gates

both going for promotion

just so happens we draw them in the FA Cup aswell

which went to 2 replays

the last being at Stamford Bridge

we had the Shed

that's all you need to know

This coupled with a leg breaking tackle in the cup replay, the whole thing became a powder keg scenario which in turn became an angry revenge mission off the field (coupled with the 70s tribal culture). I am older now but I still fuc*in hate every last one of em...

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Think that was the one where me and my brother had to take shelter behind a police van while their lot threw rocks at us.

I didn't take it personally. It was more a case of bad policing around their shitty little ghetto.

In some respects, we had existed so long in a rival free zone (when I started in 1969 Pompey were the ones sung about, yet we never played them) and apart from the occasional visit of Millwall in their J-cloth 'masks', it was all rather gentle.

So in some respects the Palace thing is coincidence, fed by repetition, some almost unavoidable intercessions, and a need for some people to have a team to hate. Apologies to those who are still fixated. That said, I'm all for mocking other teams in our division, and getting one over them (which, let's face it, will be an aspiration on hold for much of next season).

I seem to remember that Bournemouth were our rivals for about two seasons when I first started going, probably 69- 73ish

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

I'm not sure he gave them success Buzzer. He took them from the old 1st division to the 3rd tier albeit with a FA cup semi final sanwhiched in there.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Just watch the Allison Mullery video, and would like to retract my previous email. Yes, Palace are *****. Allison was a ****ing ********. I ****ing hate palace. Absolute shite hole club. Scum. I hope they never win another game, and descend into the bowels of hell. ****ers. *****. Shysters. Bollocks to them.

:lolol:

Not the normal imperturbable post from your good self... :lol:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
cpfc-die.jpg

At Hove station and Shoreham airport among others-wonder if they will ever make a return.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here