Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Palace thing

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
They cleaned that off near Hove station a couple of years ago.

Shame,like i said wonder if they will ever return,some how doubt it though...not sure if the one on a shed facing the eastbound railway track at shoreham railway bridge still exists..

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I don't know a single Brighton fan ever calling it the A23 derby, that has to be some sort of Sky bollox. It's not even a derby, it is however a rivalry.
When I lived in the dials area, I remember walking down to the station for a couple of beers & meet the chaps before getting the train up to Surrey for the 0-5 thrashing. I could hear the singing from the Railway Bell before I got to the Belle Vue! This was early doors, & there were some, as they say, "proper herberts" out that day. Faces that I hadn't seen for years. We had the whole Arthur Waite Stand that day, & why did all those faces rock up? The rivalry. Football is not the same without one.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Always loved this photo:

b126e823acf59c6c006b9c7e8d4284d0.jpg

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Always loved this photo:

b126e823acf59c6c006b9c7e8d4284d0.jpg

That was the same night he threw all the change he had in his pocket onto the pitch and said that Palace was not even worth that-simply brilliant and true :lolol:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I don't know a single Brighton fan ever calling it the A23 derby, that has to be some sort of Sky bollox. It's not even a derby, it is however a rivalry.
When I lived in the dials area, I remember walking down to the station for a couple of beers & meet the chaps before getting the train up to Surrey for the 0-5 thrashing. I could hear the singing from the Railway Bell before I got to the Belle Vue! This was early doors, & there were some, as they say, "proper herberts" out that day. Faces that I hadn't seen for years. We had the whole Arthur Waite Stand that day, & why did all those faces rock up? The rivalry. Football is not the same without one.

Shit result but a decent turn out, did we have over 5,000 fans there?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Shit result but a decent turn out, did we have over 5,000 fans there?

Not sure of the total amount, but probably around that. London's finest tried to lock us in the ground after whilst they dispersed the locals. Anyone remember the police van rocking?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Not sure of the total amount, but probably around that. London's finest tried to lock us in the ground after whilst they dispersed the locals. Anyone remember the police van rocking?

Yes I remember the police van rocking, just as I came out of the exit.
No,it wasn't me though.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
To my mind it started in the 74- 75 season, Palace had come down to the 3rd Division, and played us in August. Their support was acting Billy big bollox, at the Goldstone, and at Hove station, and our chaps took offence. The return game was another feisty affair, and it grew from there.Along the way, there has been players getting career ending injuries, and being ridiculed, accusations of unsanitary toilet habits, bent referees( called Challis),and a lot of overtime for the Met, and Sussex constabulary

Correct started at the 1974 match as stated . There were also some other London clubs ' fans' who were down on holiday who tipped up to join the aggro . Wonderful 1 - 0 win for the Albion ( Ian Mellor ) . Very sad that on the Sunday found out that my 18 year old best mate and fellow fan Jez Webber had been lost overboard a Sea Scout boat in the channel near Chichester having volunteered to help when another qualified person could not make the trip . He would have been at the match with me and never missed a game normally , home or away but did not want the young scouts trip to be cancelled .He was found two weeks later washed ashore , a dreadful time for all concerned . Fate can be very cruel . Always think of him and all the Albion related ups and downs he missed over the past 43 years .

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Correct started at the 1974 match as stated . There were also some other London clubs ' fans' who were down on holiday who tipped up to join the aggro . Wonderful 1 - 0 win for the Albion ( Ian Mellor ) . Very sad that on the Sunday found out that my 18 year old best mate and fellow fan Jez Webber had been lost overboard a Sea Scout boat in the channel near Chichester having volunteered to help when another qualified person could not make the trip . He would have been at the match with me and never missed a game normally , home or away but did not want the young scouts trip to be cancelled .He was found two weeks later washed ashore , a dreadful time for all concerned . Fate can be very cruel . Always think of him and all the Albion related ups and downs he missed over the past 43 years .
Remember him well C. I remember his belches on the coaches. Terrible tragedy.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Remember him well C. I remember his belches on the coaches. Terrible tragedy.

Yes mate was an awful time . Never should have happened . He was accidentally knocked overboard by the boom but the skipper made a number of grave errors including turning the boat and the propeller caused severe injuries and he drifted away . The skipper continued the trip having with Jez still missing . He got away with all charges at the inquest and showed no care etc . I wanted to throttle him and will never forgive him for his actions that day which if I could find the court papers and reports would give more detail from the time . Jez was missing for two weeks and his body was found on the beach at Bracklesham Bay . So much more I could add but will end by remembering as you do his incredible burps !! never heard the like and volume from someone since . His trip to Rochdale away in the 1972 promotion season jumping the trains there and back for free . Being with him at Highbury the day Jimmy Hill was linesman for the second half Arsenal v Liverpool . So many great memories and he is sorely missed to this day . RIP
https://youtu.be/ntfslrhajAg starts half way through clip

Attachments

• img088.jpg
    img088.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 449

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

For reasons unknown to the rest of the footballing world, the two sets of supporters detest eachother with a passion not seen outside the Balkans.

Can't remember which journalist wrote that, but it sums it up perfectly.

Wankers.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Stoke City fan here in peace.

Firstly a massive congrats on your promotion. Gutted you didn't get the Title, the intolerable success starved Geordies will dine out on that for years!!!

I live down here so follow the Seagulls as a second team and attend the odd game. Always a good day out. Just been discussing it on our forum and got asked the question " so why the hatred of Palace " I am pasting the answer I gave below and just wondered if I have nailed it correctly, as the memory is not as good as it used to be! :----

Living near Brighton a lot of my mates are season ticket holders. I have been to the odd game with them. No different to us, they love their club, a bit deluded some of them ( aren't we as well thinking we can break into the top 4 each season? ) but generally good honest passionate fans.

They absolutely hate with a vengeance Crystal Palace and it gets very feisty when they play each other both on the pitch and off! Other than that totally safe place to visit and a great away day.

-------------------------------------------

What's the issue with Crystal Palace? We all have a shared history we were promoted together in my first season as a ST holder.

They call it the A23 Derby now but whilst Palace are in London and have many clubs close by they do see Brighton as their main rivals.

It all stems from the promotion season in 1979/80, if that's the one your referring to. Terry Vegetables was Manager of Palace and Alan Mullery was manager of Brighton that season. In the game between them at Selhurst some comment was made by Venables to Mullery after a bad tackle or something and Mullery spat on him apparently and it all kicked off. Bearing in mind both teams were pushing for promotion the bad blood has been in place ever since and trust me, it is not pretty and both sets of fans have to be on their toes when they play each other.

Throwing coins rather than spitting

Also worth mentioning the Boxing Day game as well

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Stoke City fan here in peace.

Firstly a massive congrats on your promotion. Gutted you didn't get the Title, the intolerable success starved Geordies will dine out on that for years!!!

I live down here so follow the Seagulls as a second team and attend the odd game. Always a good day out. Just been discussing it on our forum and got asked the question " so why the hatred of Palace " I am pasting the answer I gave below and just wondered if I have nailed it correctly, as the memory is not as good as it used to be! :----

Living near Brighton a lot of my mates are season ticket holders. I have been to the odd game with them. No different to us, they love their club, a bit deluded some of them ( aren't we as well thinking we can break into the top 4 each season? ) but generally good honest passionate fans.

They absolutely hate with a vengeance Crystal Palace and it gets very feisty when they play each other both on the pitch and off! Other than that totally safe place to visit and a great away day.

What's the issue with Crystal Palace? We all have a shared history we were promoted together in my first season as a ST holder.

They call it the A23 Derby now but whilst Palace are in London and have many clubs close by they do see Brighton as their main rivals.

It all stems from the promotion season in 1979/80, if that's the one your referring to. Terry Vegetables was Manager of Palace and Alan Mullery was manager of Brighton that season. In the game between them at Selhurst some comment was made by Venables to Mullery after a bad tackle or something and Mullery spat on him apparently and it all kicked off. Bearing in mind both teams were pushing for promotion the bad blood has been in place ever since and trust me, it is not pretty and both sets of fans have to be on their toes when they play each other.

What site is this posted on ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here