Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Palace thing

Joebananas

Jan 30, 2011
I used to drink in Joe bananas ..... it was in East Croydon........ coincidence??

Pure coincidence mate. I used to drink in a bar called Joe Bananas in Hong Kong when I lived there. I think when I signed up for North Stand Chat I had just got in from there and whilst scratching my head for a username it was the best I could come up with at that very moment.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Some differences of opinion on how the rivalry came about but thats always a healthy thing.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Pure coincidence mate. I used to drink in a bar called Joe Bananas in Hong Kong when I lived there. I think when I signed up for North Stand Chat I had just got in from there and whilst scratching my head for a username it was the best I could come up with at that very moment.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Some differences of opinion on how the rivalry came about but thats always a healthy thing.

what about you lot,obviously there's Vale

but when the mancs,scousers and brummies are in town do you 'team up'?

the naughty fourty couldn't have been enough surely ??? :whistle:

Joebananas

Jan 30, 2011
what about you lot,obviously there's Vale

but when the mancs,scousers and brummies are in town do you 'team up'?

the naughty forty couldn't have been enough surely ??? :whistle:

Obviously Vale are our natural rivals and always plenty of stick & abuse for them.

The Naughty Forty== They were, back in the day, probably 300 plus strong so could look after themselves against anybody. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, they are all 50/60 year old blokes now. All very friendly now at Stoke and a safe visit for any away fan. Like any ground however, if you go looking for it, you will definitely still find it!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Can I ask, as an outsider about the Stoke/Port Vale rivalry? Is it still as nasty as ever despite the difference in fortunes of the clubs? Fortunately, Palace fans kept up their hatred of us despite us being well down the football pyramid until recently but I've got mates who support Reading who hates that their Aldershot rivalry has died a death.

Joebananas

Jan 30, 2011
Can I ask, as an outsider about the Stoke/Port Vale rivalry? Is it still as nasty as ever despite the difference in fortunes of the clubs? Fortunately, Palace fans kept up their hatred of us despite us being well down the football pyramid until recently but I've got mates who support Reading who hates that their Aldershot rivalry has died a death.

Probably nastier these days than it ever has been, even though we are leagues apart. This all came about around the 1990's really when Vale had their 15 minutes of fame and were above us for a period. They were on a roll and we were in our darkest days. The hatred and vitriol they showed towards us at that time was far from friendly banter. We can all take a bit of banter on the chin generally, but this was pure hatred and really not very nice. Prior to this spell a lot of Stoke fans used to go and watch Vale on the Saturday when Stoke were playing away and kinda supported both local teams. That has all gone. Now that the pecking order has well and truly been restored, 90% of Stoke fans wish nothing but total failure on them, and wrong as it may seem, we would not lose any sleep if they went out of business completely, for which there is a very good chance in the next few years.

Joebananas

Jan 30, 2011
Those of a delicate disposition, shouldn't read the, "We should model ourselves on Stoke City" thread.

Borderline homophobia, (what's new?), and not a lot of love for us soft southerners who are all plastic fans.

Ignore all that mate, it's nothing new is it? The majority of Stoke fans, or at least the educated ones, have a lot of respect for BHA and the journey you have been on as we were very close to a similar fate many years ago.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes

I remember JB's in Hong Kong . My mate used to work there as a cocktail barman in 86, good he was too, got me munted more than a few times. Preferred The Cavern across the water though. Loads of fun.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
& with Palace having no real London rival

Not so. All through the Division 3 South days there was a strong Palace v Millwall rivalry, and the all-time Division 4 record attendance of 37,774 was for this fixture in 1961 (a world record for a tier 4 match until broken by Rangers in 2012) .

If you'd asked any Palace fan in the mid 70s who their main rival was then they would have said Millwall. A significant minority still do.

And Venables and Mullery hated each other from their Spurs playing days.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Not so. All through the Division 3 South days there was a strong Palace v Millwall rivalry, and the all-time Division 4 record attendance of 37,774 was for this fixture in 1961 (a world record for a tier 4 match until broken by Rangers in 2012) .

If you'd asked any Palace fan in the mid 70s who their main rival was then they would have said Millwall. A significant minority still do.

And Venables and Mullery hated each other from their Spurs playing days.

Seems we are in the same boat with Pompey,well to some of the older fans and yes i was aware of all you have posted,through (but not on) reading Holmesdale and BBs among others..

That 37,000 gate was never matched for an Albion fixture at Selhurst,even a few leagues higher....

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Edit

Attachments

• 16027327-large.jpg
    16027327-large.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004

If you'd asked any Palace fan in the mid 70s who their main rival was then they would have said Millwall. .

Palace and Millwall friends now

Hell you've even got the word 'Lewisham'* faded into your home shirts next season.

*and a load of other Sarf Lahndan places like Croydon, Bromley

Much love!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here