Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Withdean Park and ride

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That is how the effective systems work so why is it beyond Brighton and Hove Council? I am sure the Yellow buses would be interested in providing the buses at a reasonable rate if B & H wont. Compass wouldnt as they are very profit driven.

:thumbsup:

Then BHCC would flood the route with buses and offer fare deals, until the interlopers leave the route alone. And old tactic of bigger bus companies.

Just by comparison In Adelaide I can use the Tram, Bus or Train for a 2 hour trip (switching between services if I wish) and peak hour it costs $3.58. That's about 1.80 in pounds and pence. At weekends and weekday non peak it's
less than $2.....a pound for the same service. Clean, cheap and efficient. Guess what - it's a South Australian Govt run 'not for profit' service. God forbid they ever privatise it.

Parking in the city if pre booked costs around $7 for all day at weekends but there's plenty of free street parking if you're prepared to walk 15 mins to the city.

Oct 25, 2003
Withdean was never a good site for a large scale P&R service as the car park is fairly small and used for other purposes. I always thought what we needed was a purpose built site on the outskirts (which I think was proposed at one point).

But then I guess the city centre is hardly a ghost town so whatever they're doing at the moment people are going for.

I've said if before and I'll say it again- what the 'Greater Brighton' area needs is a light railway/underground system- spare no expense

Oct 25, 2003
That is how the effective systems work so why is it beyond Brighton and Hove Council? I am sure the Yellow buses would be interested in providing the buses at a reasonable rate if B & H wont. Compass wouldnt as they are very profit driven.

B&H buses are quite aggressive towards competitors generally. I imagine if Yellow started something up then B&H would follow with all sorts of deals etc. which is what they did with the Lewes Road/Uni route

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
What is wrong with using The Amex car park for non match day Park & Ride

Yeah. I've often wondered that. BHA could charge £5 per car and people could then either train in or use the bus to the City Centre.

But maybe BHA are not interested. With the hotel build eventually they are going to need the car park for guests.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yeah. I've often wondered that. BHA could charge £5 per car and people could then either train in or use the bus to the City Centre.

But maybe BHA are not interested. With the hotel build eventually they are going to need the car park for guests.

There are conferences and meetings taking place during the week at the Amex. It's not just a football ground.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That is great but they do not have a Green Council which may be the deciding factor.

Nor does Brighton & Hove. So you're two years out of date.

Not that expensive car parking is the sole preserve of the Green administration. It was expensive before they came in.

London Road car park. Avoid the city centre jams. Cheaper than the others. Money doesn't go to NCP. Pleasant stroll through North Laine to the shops. Always use it.

Astonishing it took until post #27 to come up with the answer. The is evidently the best way to go.

The car park behind London Road (round the back of Richer Sounds) is only £1 an hour I think and Churchill Sq is £3 for 2 hours

See?

Then park in London Road car park £9 for about 8 hours.

And again.

Brighton & Hove City Council can't provide bus services. So you're 30 years out of date there.

What is wrong with using The Amex car park for non match day Park & Ride

Ask Lewes District Council. And the club. And the people who use the stadium on matchdays and non-matchdays. I'm sure they'd be interested in your proposal.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If going to the shop there always appears to be plenty of parking space even if there is something else going on. Only a very small fraction is used for the club and other functions. Perhaps the club could do a deal with Yellow Buses to run a service non stop Amex to The Old Steine or Churchill sq for a set parking fee. The men at the barriers could issue the tickets. We make money and so do yellow buses they could even split the proceeds 50/50 as we would incur no more costs. B & H Buses could still continue to operate the 27 route for people using Withdean.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I did say on non match days. The same could be done at the racecourse on non race days to utilize empty spaces to ease the congestion in the city centre. The obvious answer is to open up land on the A23, A27 and East of Brighton to operate an efficient P &R system but that will never happen.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I did say on non match days. The same could be done at the racecourse on non race days to utilize empty spaces to ease the congestion in the city centre. The obvious answer is to open up land on the A23, A27 and East of Brighton to operate an efficient P &R system but that will never happen.

One - you're suggesting not running a commercial P&R business on matchdays. So that would only make it an occasional service; unreliable. Or in other words, a service to suit only your needs - not those of the city as a whole. BTW - Have you asked Lewes District Council about their opinion on a P&R site at the stadium?

Two - the largest number of people driving into Brighton would come down via the A23. Where do you propose a P&R site (akin to those like at Canterbury or Horsham mentioned earlier) should be? The Withdean one is caught between two stools; if it was advertised an run as the city's main (or only) P&R site with a cheap fare into the city, it would be overwhelmed very quickly. So it's run as a normal (free) car park - a rarity in the city - with regular bus fares into the centre.

You're forgetting the council has no control over the bus fares. It actively wants to reduce them, but isn't allowed to.

Three - To place a commercial P&R site at Brighton racecourse doesn't offer a solution as access to it is only via local roads, and at least two miles from any main road.

Four - The council has been looking for years for an appropriate P&R site on the A27 (as has the club), and can't find one. Good luck if you think you can find something.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont know but I would think that there is land north of Tates at Pyecombe on the A23 which would suffice. The major criteria would be that it doesnt stop at bus stops like the usual services perhaps just St Peters Church , The Old Steine possibly and then Churchill Sq similarly on the return. As I have said it doesnt affect me as I get the Metro bus from Haywards Heath to the hospital, used to use the 40, and get off in London Rd on most occasions.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What does it matter to Lewes Council as I thought the stadium was completely on Brighton Council land.

Bennetts Field and the access road are in Lewes DC area.

I went to the club shop this afternoon and the car park was over half full. We saw quite a few youngsters with Albion jackets and a few youngsters in Watford tracksuits, going back to their cars.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Surely they couldnt stop access to the stadium car parks, if the club so desired to start a P & R

They can stop whatever they like. How do you propose the club are going to buy buses, garage them and employ mechanics and drivers?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here