Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NHS hospitals across England hit by large-scale cyber-attack

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
He said: “Unable to access our clinical system – as a precaution our area has severed links to the wider NHS, which means no access to our national systems, no computers means no records, no prescriptions, no results, we are dealing with urgent problems only, our patients are being very understanding so far.”

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
They are for real.

If you get a cryptolocker virus I believe the police recommend that you pay the ransom if you want your files back. The timer wouldn't give you enough time to break the encryption even if you were a programming genius.

Is their anything you can do to prevent? I'm guessing norton anti-malware isn't going to cut the mustard in these instances? I'm a Luddite with a mac and really don't understand computers. Mate who's a computer engineer is typically who I speak to if got an issue.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Is their anything you can do to prevent? I'm guessing norton anti-malware isn't going to cut the mustard in these instances? I'm a Luddite with a mac and really don't understand computers. Mate who's a computer engineer is typically who I speak to if got an issue.

They come about just like any other virus - downloading things you shouldn't, getting tricked into clicking something etc. The best way to prevent it is to just be cautious. If you have precious files i'd recommend backing up your files up to an external hard drive and only plugging it back in to back up more files.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Any sign of Jeremy Hunt or Mother Theresa with some strong and stable leadership ?

Seems they've their eye off the ball with Brexit and the election.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The Blair government tried to implement one and it was an absolute disaster - costing about £12bn

It was under Blair but it wasn't the government who would have messsd things up would it? As said before, be the fault others such as government contractors and trust heads who probably swam well clear of the wreckage. We need to stop blaming politicians all the time, they're only part to blame; this is big corporate businesses who are responsible if not accountable.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
It was under Blair but it wasn't the government who would have messsd things up would it? As said before, be the fault others such as government contractors and trust heads who probably swam well clear of the wreckage. We need to stop blaming politicians all the time, they're only part to blame; this is big corporate businesses who are responsible if not accountable.

They take the profits but not the responsibility

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The Blair government tried to implement one and it was an absolute disaster - costing about £12bn

I know - I was involved in the email part when I worked with EDS. Remarkably many of the problems weren't technical or financial. One very small example, given the number of employees in the NHS there are bound to be a number of people with the same name. The Trusts argued about which users would get the lower numbers in their email address - eg, which Trust would get harry.1.smith@nhs.gov.uk over harry.2.smith@nhs.gov.uk - yep folks, it really was that petty !!!!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
They come about just like any other virus - downloading things you shouldn't, getting tricked into clicking something etc. The best way to prevent it is to just be cautious. If you have precious files i'd recommend backing up your files up to an external hard drive and only plugging it back in to back up more files.

Thank you. So I'm not going to get this sort of thing downloading stuff from reputable retailers like ITunes etc? I'd never download or purchase from companies never heard of. What I'm trying to say is, if you're not buying pirated things or visiting dodging sites (like NSC!) you're likely safe enough yes? Or can this just randomly happen even if you're a boring John Lewis customer, Apple branded, 8 bit gamer using technophobe like me?!!

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Ditch Trident and we could afford to upgrade the NHS from Windows XP. Or use Linux.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know - I was involved in the email part when I worked with EDS. Remarkably many of the problems weren't technical or financial. One very small example, given the number of employees in the NHS there are bound to be a number of people with the same name. The Trusts argued about which users would get the lower numbers in their email address - eg, which Trust would get harry.1.smith@nhs.gov.uk over harry.2.smith@nhs.gov.uk - yep folks, it really was that petty !!!!

I wouldn't settle for 2.

Regards Herr.1.Tubtumper@Fatherland.com

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
That is the corporate world in a nutshell. Pathetic. Run by clever psychotics hell bent on power. The human race in other words!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"This attack was not specifically targeted at the NHS and is affecting organisations from across a range of sectors.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here