Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NHS hospitals across England hit by large-scale cyber-attack

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
As well as those in the UK and Spain, there are also reports of mass computer infections in Italy, Portugal, Russia, Vietnam, Kazakhstan and Taiwan.

It is not yet clear whether the attacks are all connected

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Affected systems 'are all Windows'

Details from Spain's National Cryptology Centre on which computer systems are being affected:

Microsoft Windows Vista SP2
Windows Server 2008 SP2 and R2 SP1
Windows 7
Windows 8.1
Windows RT 8.1
Windows Server 2012 and R2
Windows 10
Windows Server 2016

D

Deleted member 22389

I don't understand why the NHS doesn't switch non essential PC's over to Linux, you certainly wouldn't get infected by Ransomware. I understand for some PC's you can't because of the software required. The people that now have to deal with this issue have a massive job on their hands. What do you do? Pay them the money, trust other software to try and remove it from the PCs, or format the hard drive, re-install Windows.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Maybe this is why Microsoft rushed out the big software update earlier this week, wonder whether those who have been attacked had got round to installing the patch

it uses a vulnerability that was patched in March. and this isnt a "cyber attack on the NHS" in the sense they havent been specifically targeted. there been a few incidents recently with the same vulnerability and malware. much of the effects, systems going down are the IT teams shutting down or suspending services to contain the threat.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
They take the profits but not the responsibility

What about NHS Trust Directors who fight to maintain 'independance' to work with providers of their choice.......I wonder why?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Thank you. So I'm not going to get this sort of thing downloading stuff from reputable retailers like ITunes etc? I'd never download or purchase from companies never heard of. What I'm trying to say is, if you're not buying pirated things or visiting dogging sites (like NSC!) you're likely safe enough yes? Or can this just randomly happen even if you're a boring John Lewis customer, Apple branded, 8 bit gamer using technophobe like me?!!

Corrected for you!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well, my work email is fine; that said, no tedious round robin emails from the 'Trust' today . . . . .

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
What about NHS Trust Directors who fight to maintain 'independance' to work with providers of their choice.......I wonder why?

Whilst OT a bit, I had a client that supplied sanitary products to the NHS. At one routine meeting to review orders there were 11 representatives from the NHS. No wonder they have no money.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We get these on a daily basis.

There was a really big one about four months ago affecting certain government agencies which saw data centre employees racing around various data centres ripping out cables to try and stop it infecting secondary architecture....as basic as that sounds, we managed to limit the damage....that one turned out to be a group of spotty sad children in Australia playing at international heros in their bedrooms.

That is the problem. There are literally millions of computers and devices constantly snooping systems to find holes...the ddos attacks which flood systems with fake emails and data that gum up systems are child's play nowadays.

One severely autistic child got all the way into NASA's launch programmes last year!!!

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
IT Security roles have been booming for a good few years now and will continue to do so. If you fancy re-training in something and have an interest in IT it's the place to be. You can earn big big money.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Leaked NSA exploit blamed for global ransomware cyberattack

https://www.rt.com/usa/388187-leaked-nsa-exploit-ransomware/

Thank Goodness the NSA & GCHQ are protecting us from "Terroists" whilst allowing the NHS' IT systems to rely on easily exploited, outdated OS/Server platforms like Windows XP/2000 because they refuse to bring the technology in to 2017 terms of acceptance!

"Strong and Stable!" :D

Most of your confidential medical records are probably out there by now for all to see! Or will be soon after the pastebin leaks

Last edited:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Most of your confidential medical records are probably out there by now for all to see! Or will be soon after the pastebin leaks

I need a darker curtain on my bedroom.

"You got what stuck where?"

shocked-looking-female-doctor-or-nurse-with-hands-in-front-of-mouth-e94p1w.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here