Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I am changing my vote to the Libs

SAC

May 21, 2014
It's about time there was a sensible discussion about legalising and taxing drugs. Implement it slowly over the course of 10-20 years and keep the policy under constant review.

Prohibition has been shown not to work, it costs the country a fortune which could be better spent elsewhere.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Does it really need legalizing? I know a few people who smoke and they have no problem buying it and smoking at home. Would anything change by legalizing it?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Cannabis is bad news. Though there a plenty of good reason to vote LD's

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Does it really need legalizing? I know a few people who smoke and they have no problem buying it and smoking at home. Would anything change by legalizing it?

Yes. I think a number of things would change (but not level of use I suspect - you are probably right about that):

1. You can tax it
2. Becomes easier to control access as the majority would be sold to adults via regulated outlets and not via dodgy dealers behind the school playing fields
4. Reduces funding of crime (and assiociated violence) in the supply chain, both in UK and rest of the world. This is probably biggest plus for me
5. Better quality control
6. Like to mean better research and more honest and accurate information about the dangers

I don't use drugs, but I am in favour of regulated legalization

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Legalising cannabis :smokin::sick::facepalm::stupid::shootself:nono:

Interesting. We know what's in the Labour manifesto but we don't know how it will be funded (apart from raising Corp and Income taxes). Maybe this is the secret ingredient that will get them to their target? They could probably estimate at least £25B of new tax money from this and nobody would have any background data to challenge it.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Interesting. We know what's in the Labour manifesto but we don't know how it will be funded (apart from raising Corp and Income taxes). Maybe this is the secret ingredient that will get them to their target? They could probably estimate at least £25B of new tax money from this and nobody would have any background data to challenge it.

+£10bn from VAT on Pringles when people get the munchies.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes. I think a number of things would change (but not level of use I suspect - you are probably right about that):

1. You can tax it
2. Becomes easier to control access as the majority would be sold to adults via regulated outlets and not via dodgy dealers behind the school playing fields
4. Reduces funding of crime (and assiociated violence) in the supply chain, both in UK and rest of the world. This is probably biggest plus for me
6. Like to mean better research and more honest and accurate information about the dangers

I don't use drugs, but I am in favour of regulated legalization
A disadvantage is that presumably it will make people think it's not bad for you, but it is.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
A disadvantage is that presumably it will make people think it's not bad for you, but it is.

But do you think people really believe that alcolohol and cigerettes are not bad for you because they are legal?

Whereas I constantly hear dull old hippies (and dull young hipsters) droning on about how cannabis is harmless if not positively beneficial.

Let's allow people to get on with their lives as they wish, but make sure they have decent information, from trusted sources, about the dangers they choose to take.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

1. You can tax it

7 Frees up a lot of police time

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It's about time there was a sensible discussion about legalising and taxing drugs. Implement it slowly over the course of 10-20 years and keep the policy under constant review.

Prohibition has been shown not to work, it costs the country a fortune which could be better spent elsewhere.

How have you come to that conclusion ?

Most people dont use cannabis, so if less usage is preferable then it seems prohibition has worked and how has it cost the country a fortune ?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Nonsense argument. And anyone who is stupid enough to think that legalising it would mean it isn't bad for you is highly unlikely to have not used it because it was against the law in the first place.

Banning sugar would probably save millions of early deaths, let alone alcohol and tobacco. Same with all sorts of things, doesn't stop them being legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Nonsense argument. And anyone who is stupid enough to think that legalising it would mean it isn't bad for you is highly unlikely to have not used it because it was against the law in the first place.

Banning sugar would probably save millions of early deaths, let alone alcohol and tobacco. Same with all sorts of things, doesn't stop them being legal.

Nonsense argument, just because we already have legitimised things that are already bad for you why should that then mean we should make a decision to legitimise more bad things, surely thats plain daft.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Nonsense argument, just because we already have legitimised things that are already bad for you why should that then mean we should make a decision to legitimise more bad things, surely thats plain daft.

For all the reasons stated in various posts above.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here