Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Great Escape 2017

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Who's doing it?

I'm likely doing the Thursday and the Saturday, tonnes of good stuff to see.

Thurs
Douglas Dare
Fickle Friends
The Japanese House
Odd Beholder

Saturday
Asgier
Thomas Azier
Tigercub

and about 20 other bands I'm considering...so much music!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Any recommendations for shouty female led guitar bands?

The only people on the lineup I recognise from good album reviews this year are:

The Moonlandingz - Made up of Fat White Family members, psychedelic rock put on a good show.

Julie Byrne - female acoustic singer songwriter.

Jay Som - pretty varied and interesting indie rock fare.

Ibdie Soundmachine - lively african / electro fusian band

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
A combination of the Alt Escape being a lot less effort and full of mates putting stuff on and the main festival going downhill once MAMA got involved means it will be my second year of not doing the main program.

Having said that I'm sure it's still the case if you make the effort to sort out a schedule beforehand and be realistic about what you can and can't see, there's still some great stuff. I think I might be a bit too old for the effort involved now!

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Ordered my ticket for Saturday from Ticketmaster 3 weeks ago but not received yet but hopefully will eventually arrive. Shamelessly going to plug a band a mate of mine manages. The Blinders Hope and Ruin late on Saturday. Up and coming Manc band with a bit of attitude!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A combination of the Alt Escape being a lot less effort and full of mates putting stuff on and the main festival going downhill once MAMA got involved means it will be my second year of not doing the main program.

Having said that I'm sure it's still the case if you make the effort to sort out a schedule beforehand and be realistic about what you can and can't see, there's still some great stuff. I think I might be a bit too old for the effort involved now!

Not been since I left so what's the problem with MAMA getting involved?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Not been since I left so what's the problem with MAMA getting involved?

That in my opinion the festival has got worse recently and whilst still goodish value, the ticket price has increased to the point where it's not automatically good value. It's a lot more difficult to shoot round town and get into everything these days. It is definitely more industry dominated (I get the inherent irony of railing against this at what is effectively an industry showcase that we are graciously invited to.)

As someone who for a number of years listened to every act on the bill, I felt that in more recent years, it became an arduous slog through many variations on the same themes (earnest curly haired male acoustic guitar strumming singer-songwriters & female fronted psuedo-dark electropop where the orders of the day in 2015 & 2016) to find the gold.

It's still good but now London and Brighton's DIY promoters skim off most of the cream of the line-up, alongside the best local stuff, it's cheaper, easier and more rewarding to go to the Alt Escape. There's a few venues on the main program I can get into anyway if there's something that really takes my fancy. They'll be some brilliant stuff at the Love Thy Neighbour showcase downstairs at the Hope and the Be Nothing/ Teen Creeps weekender at The Joker, to name two.

The Alt Escape doesn't exist without the main event going on so it's all good by me.

Last edited:

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
I'm more sitting at Kraftwerk than The Great Escape these days, however would like to see The Moonlandingz...

Would I be right in thinking you need a day pass rather than individual tickets ?

Out of interest, where & when are they playing ?

Cheers

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Whilst waxing lyrical about the Alt Escape, the folks at Acid Box promotions have an online zine wtih times etc that I can't lay my hands on now because I'm at work but I'm sure you'll be able to find on facebook.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Got a ticket and will be wandering round town for the weekend. I have not been too impressed with the last two years line ups and not sure about this one. It's looks like Concorde 2 are not involved this year. Is that something to do with the distance away from the major event?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Quick bounce as it's this week...

:bounce:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Got a ticket and will be wandering round town for the weekend. I have not been too impressed with the last two years line ups and not sure about this one. It's looks like Concorde 2 are not involved this year. Is that something to do with the distance away from the major event?

Yep, though it was the venues decision not the festivals. Basically, Concorde do not make much money out of hosting TGE because no one can be bothered to walk all the way down there. In the time it takes to walk to and from the Concorde you could have seen two or three bands if you had stayed in town.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Yep, though it was the venues decision not the festivals. Basically, Concorde do not make much money out of hosting TGE because no one can be bothered to walk all the way down there. In the time it takes to walk to and from the Concorde you could have seen two or three bands if you had stayed in town.

That's what I had kind of guessed. Only ever went there once during TGE and that was to see I Like Trains some years back.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here