Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lucas Leiva

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
"No different to what we have in Sidwell & Norwood". Give me a break!
What he does is clear up and stops the breakaway from opposing midfield to offence. Used to be called a sweeper in my day and that is why he gets those decisions against him outside the box, far better than in it.
About 20% of LFC fans don't think he plays "In the Liverpool Way", i.e. Wants to get forward in every attack. He's also a Brazilian whose game is more about solidity and blocking than flicks and tricks.
Think Dunga not Lucas Moura. Not going to happen but comparing him to Sidwell and Norward shows a complete lack of insight into his game.

The 20% figure you mention tells it all, thank you.

A couple of clueless posters on this thread have quoted some LFC whingers who don't rate Lucas, as if that's the footballing gospel.

Not so easy to manipulate the intelligent NSC public.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I like this. I think he would be an upgrade on Sidwell and add bite to the midfield, I fancy he'd also be the go-to guy for shutting down the opposition's playmaker.

Best Foot Forward

Apr 29, 2008
Burgess Hill
Just spoken with a Liverpool season ticket holder. Most apparently really rate him and would prefer him to stay at Liverpool. He reckons if we did get him it would be a blinding addition to the team

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
for the right money, we would have to be interested, sat alongside Stephens we would at least be very solid in front of a back 4.

People are under-whelmed only because its not an exciting signing, but in reality someone who has 300 appearances for Liverpool, however many caps for Brazil is still only 30 and versatile would be a cracking signing.

I suspect a team like West Ham, West Brom etc would be ahead of the Q however, let alone teams from abroad.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
He plays the Stephens role, right?

Good player but not sure it's a priority position for us NOW (thanks Dale)

Had the same line of thought, was probably being lined up if Stephens hadn't signed. Either that or he's getting a contract instead of Sidwell.

If we're adding to our midfield it would surely be more of a box to box.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Stephens was often alongside Kayal and would think of it more along those terms IF we are looking at Lucas. A Kayal upgrade.

I could see Chris playing Sidwell off a striker at times futher forward of those 2 as he used to do that quite a bit I seem to remember when we had no strikers, and then throw someone more attacking on around 60 minutes if needed. I don't agree with it but think it would be quite a CH tactic and worthy of our trust if chosen. Else a method of 'holding on' late if done in reverse.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Stephens was often alongside Kayal and would think of it more along those terms IF we are looking at Lucas. A Kayal upgrade.

I could see Chris playing Sidwell off a striker at times futher forward of those 2 as he used to do that quite a bit I seem to remember when we had no strikers, and then throw someone more attacking on around 60 minutes if needed. I don't agree with it but think it would be quite a CH tactic and worthy of our trust if chosen. Else a method of 'holding on' late if done in reverse.
He'd be an upgrade on Norwood not Kayal. Same as Cairney would be an upgrade on Towell. Hughton gets that it's a squad game, more than most of our fans

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
for the right money, we would have to be interested, sat alongside Stephens we would at least be very solid in front of a back 4.

People are under-whelmed only because its not an exciting signing, but in reality someone who has 300 appearances for Liverpool, however many caps for Brazil is still only 30 and versatile would be a cracking signing.

I suspect a team like West Ham, West Brom etc would be ahead of the Q however, let alone teams from abroad.

Good post.

Title winning (almost) Chelsea play Matic and Kante in front of the back 5 or 3, making it almost impossible to score against them. Mourinho's gone down that route as well before.

Allowing the attacking rest of the team to do their thing, with solidity behind for any eventuality.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
A 25 man squad does focus the mind. Lucas would be an excellent signing.It would however be at the expense of one of the present squad.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A 25 man squad does focus the mind. Lucas would be an excellent signing.It would however be at the expense of one of the present squad.

That's inevitable. This season's much loved squad will be rejigged with quite a few new players, and people falling down the pecking order. It's either that or be outclassed and relegated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here