Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moments in music where you were a fly-on-the-wall

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I don't recall him being bean pole tall . . . but he had extravagant tattoos (snakes and that) on his legs, which was extremely unusual back then. No idea what happened to him. Seemed a bit mad and dangerous, but he'll be about 60 now. 1977 was - **** me - 40 years ago :(

Think I remember him, totally unhinged and very scary, think he used to go to the Hungry Years

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
You are right, October 25th 1978, then nothing till 2007.

They used to play Worthing Assembly Halls a lot in those intervening years, although I preferred The Hammy O and later Brixton Academy. Lost count how many times I was lucky enough to see them. Don't think there were many years where Motorhead didn't crop up in some way or another. Seeing them in The Town and Country Club , mid nineties I think, was probably the loudest gig I have ever been too. It was stupidly loud. It was as if they decided to utilise all the amps they had left over after their headlining set at Port Vale Football ground 15 years earlier, and crammed them onto the tiny T&C stage. The vibrations made your clothes shake and the lack of oxygen sucked out of the room by the music made you want to vomit. . I think it was the start of my being Motordeaf. Another example was on the way home from one their gigs at Brixton. Got in the car and put a tape on, but none of us could actually hear the music because our ears were still ringing from the gig.
RIP Lem .

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Couple of goodies at Moulscoomb Polytechnic as well.

Dead Kennedys with Jello Biafra and seperatly on the evening of the 84 FA Cup final , The Cult.. Astbury would not stop going on about Everton .

Were Peter and the Test Tube Babies supporting The Dead Kennedys? A group of us went to that and couldn't get in. It was pouring down so we broke in to the back of the building, still didn't see the bands as the internal doors were locked
(I'm a reformed character now btw :blush: )

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Not sure if you officianados will let this count but I was at Big Beach Boutique to see Norm spin the wheels of steel and make 250,000 groove. Astonishing day. Awesome fun.

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong but ALWAYS certain

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Were Peter and the Test Tube Babies supporting The Dead Kennedys? A group of us went to that and couldn't get in. It was pouring down so we broke in to the back of the building, still didn't see the bands as the internal doors were locked
(I'm a reformed character now btw :blush: )

Yes they were. And MDC (Millions of Dead Cops ) started the show. Just remember MDC playing at a million miles an hour, which seemed to rub off on The Dead Kennedys, because they seemed to play a faster than I had seen them previously as well.

Sounds like your efforts to get in, were pure punk rock spinal tap. :smile:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
They used to play Worthing Assembly Halls a lot in those intervening years, although I preferred The Hammy O and later Brixton Academy. Lost count how many times I was lucky enough to see them. Don't think there were many years where Motorhead didn't crop up in some way or another. Seeing them in The Town and Country Club , mid nineties I think, was probably the loudest gig I have ever been too. It was stupidly loud. It was as if they decided to utilise all the amps they had left over after their headlining set at Port Vale Football ground 15 years earlier, and crammed them onto the tiny T&C stage. The vibrations made your clothes shake and the lack of oxygen sucked out of the room by the music made you want to vomit. . I think it was the start of my being Motordeaf. Another example was on the way home from one their gigs at Brixton. Got in the car and put a tape on, but none of us could actually hear the music because our ears were still ringing from the gig.
RIP Lem .

The Worthing gigs were something to behold, just so damn loud. Had the pleasure of watching them several dozen times, not quite an obsession, but at least once a year, preferably twice. Best ever IMO I think was the 25 Alive show at Brixton, one of many at that fabulous venue, but the Lees Cliff Hall with Seputura was also magic, as were many shows at the Portsmouth Guildhall, one of my favourite venues. Hastings White Rock was probably the most musically competent I recall, and the last time I saw them at Wembley, with Boss Hoss and Damned in support, will live with me forever. But every single time I saw them I just know that they gave the very best performance that it was possible for them to do. I looked the man right in the eye many times, he was always very engaging with his fans, he made every fan feel like the show was just for them, God rest his soul. \m/

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Sometimes I get the feeling people will say they saw new order down the basement (for example) and make out they've seen something amazing, when it's only years after the event they realise who the band that supported the headline act were. A smaller example is stone roses at spike island, this has been turned in to an amazing gig through time, but anybody who was there said it was crap ie, getting there, the sound, the singing etc....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Think I remember him, totally unhinged and very scary, think he used to go to the Hungry Years

I was a regular at the Hungry Years, 73-78, and don't recall him there . . . Inn Place was his haunt so I was told . . . Stuart the DJ at the Hungry Years had a copy of Anarchy in the UK he played a lot, then decided punk was 'not acceptable' and smashed up the single one night. It was an original copy. Bang went £1000 :facepalm::tosser::shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Was that the one with AC/DC and Whitesnake and the big food fight? If so, I was there, too.

Did the following year (Quo) as well but none after that for no apparent reason.

I saw AC/DC with Bon Scott at the Top Rank. Bonkers.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
No-one has mentioned Crass at (Durrington' Rustington?) village hall, I wasn't there, not met anyone who was.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I was a regular at the Hungry Years, 73-78, and don't recall him there . . . Inn Place was his haunt so I was told . . . Stuart the DJ at the Hungry Years had a copy of Anarchy in the UK he played a lot, then decided punk was 'not acceptable' and smashed up the single one night. It was an original copy. Bang went £1000 :facepalm::tosser::shrug:

Oh dear! I used to love the Hungry Years ... one night my friend was refused entry for being 'too smart' haha!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here