Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Amex factor

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I'm talking about recent years at the Amex in the 2ns tier...I'm not talking about the 1980's when most clubs had poor attendances and times were tough.

I was talking about the wigan game a couple of years ago. :shrug:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Given this is a thread about the amount of spine our fans have its obviously a very valid point. What thread did you think you were commenting on? :facepalm: :dunce:

It's actually about the fanbase turning on our team if you'd like to go back and read it.

Nobody seemed to turn on the team enough to stop paying in your example. :dunce::shootself

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I suggest you have a look at their football forums before making comments. It took me a second to find this one. Fans criticize, that's the nature. I'm sure if you name the club that you think fans don't criticize, I'll find you the links

http://forums.liverpoolfc.com/threads/389918-Jurgen-klopp-struggling-with-the-pressure

He said during the games themselves and he's correct.

Internet forums always contain annoyed fans, especially after a loss/draw.

I think the buys this summer and results on the pitch, will decide how the crowd goes. A run of home defeats, wingers skinning Bruno etc to score and 2,500 joyous fans in the south stand will soon p*ss people off. Might not be booing but regular mass exoduses on 75 minutes.

Or some great buys/loanees this summer that work in a PL class first team, with results, will keep the crowd on board.

Fickle, but most fans want to see wins, not a season like M'boro's.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
He said during the games themselves and he's correct.

Internet forums always contain annoyed fans, especially after a loss/draw.

I think the buys this summer and results on the pitch, will decide how the crowd goes. A run of home defeats, wingers skinning Bruno etc to score and 2,500 joyous fans in the south stand will soon p*ss people off. Might not be booing but regular mass exoduses on 75 minutes.

Or some great buys/loanees this summer that work in a PL class first team, with results, will keep the crowd on board.

Fickle, but most fans want to see wins, not a season like M'boro's.

WRONG
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/liverpool-fans-boo-struggling-rodgers-033k20pmnbh

I stand by my post, and I can back it up with evidence.
I was careful in my post and referred to a number of things fans will moan about and it did not say necessarily it was fans moaning at their own players, but as two of you have just picked that point and with little effort it's not hard for me to back that up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Have we ever been properly thrashed at the Amex? I can't really remember one. I'm struggling even to think of a 0-3 defeat. We will be on the end of some tonkings this year, no doubt about it. I wonder what time people will start leaving if we're 4-0 down at half-time. The place will be about 30% full on 85 minutes.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Have we ever been properly thrashed at the Amex? I can't really remember one. I'm struggling even to think of a 0-3 defeat. We will be on the end of some tonkings this year, no doubt about it. I wonder what time people will start leaving if we're 4-0 down at half-time. The place will be about 30% full on 85 minutes.

Middlesbrough at home.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Middlesbrough at home.

This. The defeat that cost us promotion.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I suggest you have a look at their football forums before making comments. It took me a second to find this one. Fans criticize, that's the nature. I'm sure if you name the club that you think fans don't criticize, I'll find you the links

http://forums.liverpoolfc.com/threads/389918-Jurgen-klopp-struggling-with-the-pressure

I'm going on personal experience (as a neutral) at matches, having watched hundreds of games involving teams other than Albion all over the country and Europe. Rather more informed an opinion than football forums, but thanks for the advice. What's said online is an irrelevance compared to the damaging effect of a negative atmosphere in the stadium.

Last edited:

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I'm going on personal experience (as a neutral) at matches, having watched hundreds of games involving teams other than Albion all over the country and Europe. Rather more informed an opinion than football forums, but thanks for the advice. What's said online is an irrelevance compared to the damaging effect of a negative atmosphere in the stadium.

Oh dear, it seems Liverpool football fans, yes that's right not on forums but at actual games don't agree with you either. Maybe you missed this match then. Still I don't suppose that in your lifetime you have been to every single game to be able to make such a sweeping statement that fans don't at times moan at their own players.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/liverpool-fans-boo-struggling-rodgers-033k20pmnbh

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Oh dear, it seems Liverpool football fans, yes that's right not on forums but at actual games don't agree with you either. Maybe you missed this match then. Still I don't suppose that in your lifetime you have been to every single game to be able to make such a sweeping statement that fans don't at times moan at their own players.

Of course they do 'at times'. Brilliant example you've found there - from one game, 3 years ago. You really need to get out more. And watch some matches while you're at it.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Of course they do 'at times'. Brilliant example you've found there - from one game, 3 years ago. You really need to get out more. And watch some matches while you're at it.

Which is exactly what my first post said. You thought you were being clever and you mentioned Liverpool as your example and you were proved wrong.
Now let's deal with your first comment about me digging out a story about the fans booing from a few years ago.
I found a second game now and surprise surprise it's only from this season. It's starting to look like you don't get out at all.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.th...erpool-fans-for-booing-team-20161127.amp.html

Here's another
https://www.trollfootball.me/news/view/liverpool-fans-booing-their-own-coach

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Should i be concerned,that are our vastly increased Amex fan base,are NOT premier league ready,and will turn against the team and management ,next season after a run of defeats.

Whether or not it is due to being 'Prem ready', yes I do think there are fans who fundamentally do not understand (or perhaps in frustration choose not to) the nature of football, and the fact that results often go in sequences, good and bad. Players similarly have oscillations in form.

There is a tendency to find 'reasons': blame certain payers, criticise management, have a go at refs, some of all of which might have some justification but the fundamental reason is simply that things don't go right for you at times. God knows, this of us who have followed this club for last few decades know that.

Leicester are a fine example: down and out of the PL in February 2015, they had 18 points from 26 games and were bottom. Took 23 points from last 12 games and finished 14th, form that continued for the next season. They then flirted with relegation this season before Shakespeare engineered a revival. Exceptional yes, but only in terms of scale of oscillation rather than principle.

For sure, there will be frustration next season, It will go wrong next season, and it is likely to go wrong for at least one extended period, but the antidote to that is to hold the nerve, keep the faith.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Whether or not it is due to being 'Prem ready', yes I do think there are fans who fundamentally do not understand (or perhaps in frustration choose not to) the nature of football, and the fact that results often go in sequences, good and bad. Players similarly have oscillations in form.

There is a tendency to find 'reasons': blame certain payers, criticise management, have a go at refs, some of all of which might have some justification but the fundamental reason is simply that things don't go right for you at times. God knows, this of us who have followed this club for last few decades know that.

Leicester are a fine example: down and out of the PL in February 2015, they had 18 points from 26 games and were bottom. Took 23 points from last 12 games and finished 14th, form that continued for the next season. They then flirted with relegation this season before Shakespeare engineered a revival. Exceptional yes, but only in terms of scale of oscillation rather than principle.

For sure, there will be frustration next season, It will go wrong next season, and it is likely to go wrong for at least one extended period, but the antidote to that is to hold the nerve, keep the faith.

Paul Hayward,talking on Radio Sussex,could see no reason,why CH would ever be sacked at Brighton.Would TB keep the faith and hold his nerve ,if we are bottom at Christmas ? I don't think so .

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Paul Hayward,talking on Radio Sussex,could see no reason,why CH would ever be sacked at Brighton.Would TB keep the faith and hold his nerve ,if we are bottom at Christmas ? I don't think so .

I do. Think Steve Lansdown. Completely vindicated. OK, so City were not in relegation zone but plenty thought Johnson should go. Think Burnley and Hull 2015 - kept managers, straight back up (and who kept same manager and stayed up 2nd time round...).

No, think TB has clocked this one; consistency pays.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Which is exactly what my first post said. You thought you were being clever and you mentioned Liverpool as your example and you were proved wrong.
Now let's deal with your first comment about me digging out a story about the fans booing from a few years ago.
I found a second game now and surprise surprise it's only from this season. It's starting to look like you don't get out at all.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.th...erpool-fans-for-booing-team-20161127.amp.html

Here's another
https://www.trollfootball.me/news/view/liverpool-fans-booing-their-own-coach

Gosh. Devastating! [emoji16][emoji16]

Like I said, I'll draw on the first hand knowledge of watching hundreds of non-Albion games all over Europe. But keep ploughing through second hand sources if it turns you on. I'm not quite sure why you find it's so important that other fans get on their players' backs. Of course they do sometimes. Presumably there's some sort of Albion loyalty that doesn't allow you to see our crowd as anything other than incredible. I've been Brighton through and through for 30+ years and the fact is we have a very good supporter base, but not an outstandingly noisy and supportive one unless the team gets it going. The one notable exception was Sheff Weds last year where the attitude from the off was a taste of the all-out, get fully behind the team atmosphere that comes a bit more naturally to some other clubs (although fewer and fewer these days it seems). I can only assume you do like to get on the players backs and do a bit of booing as you seem so desperate to justify it, so enjoy next season - I'm sure you'll have plenty of opportunities.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Gosh. Devastating! [emoji16][emoji16]

Like I said, I'll draw on the first hand knowledge of watching hundreds of non-Albion games all over Europe. But keep ploughing through second hand sources if it turns you on. I'm not quite sure why you find it's so important that other fans get on their players' backs. Of course they do sometimes. Presumably there's some sort of Albion loyalty that doesn't allow you to see our crowd as anything other than incredible. I've been Brighton through and through for 30+ years and the fact is we have a very good supporter base, but not an outstandingly noisy and supportive one unless the team gets it going. The one notable exception was Sheff Weds last year where the attitude from the off was a taste of the all-out, get fully behind the team atmosphere that comes a bit more naturally to some other clubs (although fewer and fewer these days it seems). I can only assume you do like to get on the players backs and do a bit of booing as you seem so desperate to justify it, so enjoy next season - I'm sure you'll have plenty of opportunities.

Wow and wow, I just can't believe how clueless and dumb you are. Second hand sources or just the truth. Did you actually attend any of the Liverpool games that I mentioned, I doubt very much and have you attended every league and European game this season, again I doubt very much, how you can claim to be an expert, why don't you tell us all how many league games you have attended this season and how many European games you have attended. Let's keep it simple, did you manage to get to Chelsea, West Ham and the Spurs today, should not be a problem as they were all around London
Let's just look at the facts.
At no point have I ever suggested that I moan, yet again something else you have got wrong.
I made a comment about what fans will find to moan about, it was not necessary about the players, it did include if you have the time to look at it again, things such as the ref etc.
You chose to chip in and bring the Liverpool fans, making out that they never moan at the team, in fact you made out that only football forums did this and that the actual fans that watch never moan at their players. Read your first post again, oh what's that I hear, the sound of you looking clueless, as I pointed you in the direction of actual fans moaning at a match. Then what do you do? Oh yes dig yourself deeper and make another comment about it being 3 years old. Oh but hold the front page, I then find another 2 examples from this season. Im so sorry that you are wrong and instead of admitting that you were wrong, you try and find a reason for continuing to reply to my posts with what can only be described as total inaccuracies about what I have said. The fact still remains that a percentage of fans will find something to moan about, which is what my original post was about and to date you have yet to come up with anything to counter that without just making it up.

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Wow and wow, I just can't believe how clueless and dumb you are. Second hand sources or just the truth. Did you actually attend any of the Liverpool games that I mentioned, I doubt very much and have you attended every league and European game this season, again I doubt very much, how you can claim to be an expert, why don't you tell us all how many league games you have attended this season and how many European games you have attended. Let's keep it simple, did you manage to get to Chelsea, West Ham and the Spurs today, should not be a problem as they were all around London
Let's just look at the facts.
At no point have I ever suggested that I moan, yet again something else you have got wrong.
I made a comment about what fans will find to moan about, it was not necessary about the players, it did include if you have the time to look at it again, things such as the ref etc.
You chose to chip in and bring the Liverpool fans, making out that they never moan at the team, in fact you made out that only football forums did this and that the actual fans that watch never moan at their players. Read your first post again, oh what's that I hear, the sound of you looking clueless, as I pointed you in the direction of actual fans moaning at a match. Then what do you do? Oh yes dig yourself deeper and make another comment about it being 3 years old. Oh but hold the front page, I then find another 2 examples from this season. Im so sorry that you are wrong and instead of admitting that you were wrong, you try and find a reason for continuing to reply to my posts with what can only be described as total inaccuracies about what I have said. The fact still remains that a percentage of fans will find something to moan about, which is what my original post was about and to date you have yet to come up with anything to counter that without just making it up.

I'm clueless and dumb, sure [emoji1303] Couldn't get to a Premier League game today, no, as I was working (which entailed having an eye across all the PL matches). I really can't be arsed to start listing all the specific games I have been to as it would take far too long and is pretty much irrelevant. Let's just stick with, as I said, hundreds (might even edge into thousands by now) ranging from the World Cup Final down to what used to be the Conference South and North Play-Off Finals and everything in between. That takes in all the major international tournaments since 1998, several Champions League, UEFA cup/Europa League and FA Cup Finals, countless matches in the group stages/rounds leading up to them involving various clubs spanning around 16 seasons, the Copa Del Rey Final, the Championship, League 1 and League 2 Play-off Finals and God knows how many run of the mill fixtures at every level of the domestic game from Premier League to non-league. What a waste of a life that's turned out to be now you've pointed out to me that I'm certainly no expert and had no right to simply suggest that some crowds are more supportive than others. I've obviously made it all up, just to annoy you [emoji849]

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

If we were struggling so badly that we were likely to go down, who would be better than Hughton to get us back up again? Bloom knows his stuff well enough to judge CH with a sense of perspective I think. Someone mentioned Bristol City but obviously Burnley are a good example too, sticking with Dyche after relegation and now looking forward to back to back Premier League seasons for the first time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here