Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Martin Samuel in The Mail today - Brighton Beware

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I just don't get the 'holier than thou' attitude about Palace being shafted into two administrations by poor owners when you lads are positively crowing about £300M being spent by your owner. The only difference being that Tony Bloom had considerably deeper pockets than Goldberg or Jordan.

Not forgetting a touch more class and dignity.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I just don't get the 'holier than thou' attitude about Palace being shafted into two administrations by poor owners when you lads are positively crowing about £300M being spent by your owner. The only difference being that Tony Bloom had considerably deeper pockets than Goldberg or Jordan.

Setting rivalries aside I've no issue with Palace and the admins. I've done some work with SJ and he's still bitter about what happened, and was outmanoeuvred as much as anything else. Both he and Goldberg got a bit giddy and it cost them (and the club dear) when some poor decisions were made. Put businessmen in charge of a club who are fans and they sometimes act like fans, which comes at a heavy price.

As for TB, he's built from the bottom up, first the infrastructure, then the squad and management team. Even as a Palace fan you must surely admit what he's done is a good approach.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

You are conveniently forgetting the years we had under Knight playing in Gillingham and Withdean without going bust and shafting creditors.

essexeagle

Jul 22, 2004
Setting rivalries aside I've no issue with Palace and the admins. I've done some work with SJ and he's still bitter about what happened, and was outmanoeuvred as much as anything else. Both he and Goldberg got a bit giddy and it cost them (and the club dear) when some poor decisions were made. Put businessmen in charge of a club who are fans and they sometimes act like fans, which comes at a heavy price.

As for TB, he's built from the bottom up, first the infrastructure, then the squad and management team. Even as a Palace fan you must surely admit what he's done is a good approach.

Oh, I absolutely do. And it has finally worked, so good for him (bad for us)

For me, Goldberg was an idiot and I agree what you say about Jordan being outmaneuvered but, in the end, he was also a fool. I think that if Bloom wasn't as rich as he is, with spending at that level your club would have found itself in the same situation. I just find it a bit rich (but predictable) for Brighton fans to keep going on about the administrations when you yourselves have spent far more than we ever did.

essexeagle

Jul 22, 2004
You are conveniently forgetting the years we had under Knight playing in Gillingham and Withdean without going bust and shafting creditors.

On the contrary...I remember it well :smile:

So going from Withdean to spending 300 million pounds within a decade is OK within the spirit of financial fair play is it?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

So going from Withdean to spending 300 million pounds within a decade is OK within the spirit of financial fair play is it?

Given what had happened before? Yeah fecking right on, we survived the nightmare and now we're living the dream. Being an Albion fan at the moment is as good as it gets for a football fan. It will go tits up again but, Wow, is it fun at the moment :thumbsup:

Nobody got shafted in us getting here either...

It wasn't spent on the playing staff you ****ing div.

essexeagle

Jul 22, 2004
Do you understand what FFP is about?

See above. I don't care about the ins and outs of it. The principle remains. You can't take the moral high ground when your owner has spent such a huge sum.

essexeagle

Jul 22, 2004
There is a difference between spending £300m of your own money and several million of somebody else's

Back to my point then. The only difference being TB had considerably deeper pockets.

See above. I don't care about the ins and outs of it. The principle remains. You can't take the moral high ground when your owner has spent such a huge sum.

The principles of what remains?

The ins and outs are perfectly clear, an owner cannot pump money in to enhance the playing staff giving an unfair advantage on the pitch, which he hasn't.

So to bleat about not being in the spirit of FFP, and then in the next post admitting to not caring what FFP IS actually about makes you a proper tool.

Now **** off.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
A lot of decent observations in there. Evens to go down.... sounds about right. 50% chance of staying up. Should be an exciting challenge!

This is the rub, we have to accept that relegation is likely and ensure that our time in the Premier League propels the club forward rather than drags us backwards. Err on the side of caution Tony.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
From 8th to 18th is all very close. When one of those sides beats another they jump several places in the league.

We have to remember that beating such teams at home and not losing to them away will be enough to stay up. The other 7 sides are just for fun and won't be the defining fixtures to our survival

Yup. This is what will really matter next season. They'll have these fixtures highlighted on June 14th, and will be planning for each game pretty much as the season gets going. We will have to make some noise, and get behind the team, especially when things aren't going well, on which Atletico's fans were something else tonight.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I just don't get the 'holier than thou' attitude about Palace being shafted into two administrations

The people who get 'shafted' by administrations are the creditors. Palace walked away scot free having had their debts wiped twice and continued to compete with clubs that still carried their debts. Crystal Palace FC were not victims, they were perpetrators.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Just seen this in the comments section:

:facepalm:

Depressing that various versions of this myth are still out there with the ignorant. An enduring legacy of Palace's utterly snide classlessness at the time. I suppose we shouldn't have expected any better of that club though. Riddled from top to bottom with spivs, liars and thieves.

Hoping The West Upper luzz a thousand toilet rolls directly at the palace bench at this fixture.......just in case they get caught short again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here