Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Councillors on parade buses... why?!

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Prior to 1997, Brighton Borough Council had very little to do with Brighton & Hove Albion.

Hove Borough Council, meanwhile, put on a bus parade and civic reception for the club in 1979 and 1983.

And it was Hove BC that sold your club down the river, granting planning permission for retail without any guarantee of a replacement ground. They were scared of the costs of defending a decision to refuse in a planning appeal. Blame Ivor Caplin and his advisors. Fulham were lightyear to have the support of the local Council in our fight against greedy developers.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
But to be fair, it's not really their party, is it?

Q. How many people would turn out to see the councillors alone on an open top bus on Sunday evening?

A. None. Not even their own familes, I suspect.

A. I would, to hurl the contents of my wheelie bin and then some abuse at them

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
Sky Sports mentioned the need to reapply for planning permission to raise the roofs for more capacity.

So may help them understand the importance of growth.

D

Deleted member 2719

The Green Party Office has BHA flags up so maybe she'll be in the crowd

Really............................ the Green party can afford an office, what would they do their all day???

The problem with Lucas is she is as irritating as Sturgeon, if the Green Party had someone with charisma a la the most famous Nigel ..............................Farage, they may just stand a chance of shaking UK politics up again.

Lucas is extremely dull.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But to be fair, it's not really their party, is it?

Q. How many people would turn out to see the councillors alone on an open top bus on Sunday evening?

A. None. Not even their own familes, I suspect.

I'm not going to play devil's advocate, but neither am I particularly angry about it. Certainly not enough to argue about the reasoning behind it.
:shrug:

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
At least the majority of people don't base their geographical location, address and sometimes local identity on a bunch of councillors, rather than history, culture and heritage,

Oh hello "East Sussex", "West Sussex" and "Brighton & Hove" :bigwave::ohmy::facepalm:??? :whistle:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
And it was Hove BC that sold your club down the river, granting planning permission for retail without any guarantee of a replacement ground. They were scared of the costs of defending a decision to refuse in a planning appeal. Blame Ivor Caplin and his advisors. Fulham were lightyear to have the support of the local Council in our fight against greedy developers.

When Hove Borough Council - reluctantly - granted planning permission (they initially refused but were advised that their reasons for refusal didn't hold any legal weight), the Conservatives were the ruling party on the council.

So when planning permission was granted, neither the council NOR the club put in any safeguards regarding the condition that this permission was only given once the club had found somewhere permanent to play - only a 'gentlemen's agreement'.

This was a poor decision taken by the council administration and the club. There were four Labour councillors at the time, out of 30; Ivor Caplin was one of them. He had very little sway at that time. If you want to point the finger, go for (a) the council administration and (b) the club.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
He is a member of a party that tries, unsuccesfully to determine our political route, she is just a waste of space on a wasted vote for idealists and will never be any different.

What an absolute load of tosh on a thread that has nothing to do with MP's.
Nice one.

You know that Nicholas Soames? He's a fat ****. Yeah.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
He is a member of a party that tries, unsuccesfully to determine our political route, she is just a waste of space on a wasted vote for idealists and will never be any different.

Just for the record, Caroline Lucas has been extremely supportive of Albion in the Community over the years. Among other gestures she has hosted a fund-raising reception at the Palace of Westminster and is a good friend of a number of people at the club. I may be wrong, but I don't believe she is particularly close to the Green cllrs who caused the Albion such difficulties during the campaigning for the stadium.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Just for the record, Caroline Lucas has been extremely supportive of Albion in the Community over the years. Among other gestures she has hosted a fund-raising reception at the Palace of Westminster and is a good friend of a number of people at the club.

Correct. And still is.

I may be wrong, but I don't believe she is particularly close to the Green cllrs who caused the Albion such difficulties during the campaigning for the stadium.

There is basically one (ex-) councillor who the current crop of Green Party members still roll their eyes at. She gets on with the councillors these days.

The Green Party raised some noises early on in the stadium campaign (but then people from most parties did), although the party line was basically 'we're in favour of a stadium, and we're not against it at Falmer, but we need to know nowhere else is better...". They were not part of the cartel which challenged the Albion at every turn alongside the Lewes DC, Society of Downsmen, CPRE etc. At the time, they were sold on the economic and human arguments over the environmental concerns, the latter of which to them were not as strong. And so it has proved.

Caroline didn't become MP until 2010, by which time the stadium issues were largely done and dusted (though she did make remarks that she was in favour of the stadium while she was an MEP before that).

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Correct. And still is.

There is basically one (ex-) councillor who the current crop of Green Party members still roll their eyes at. She gets on with the councillors these days.

The Green Party raised some noises early on in the stadium campaign (but then people from most parties did), although the party line was basically 'we're in favour of a stadium, and we're not against it at Falmer, but we need to know nowhere else is better...". They were not part of the cartel which challenged the Albion at every turn alongside the Lewes DC, Society of Downsmen, CPRE etc. At the time, they were sold on the economic and human arguments over the environmental concerns, the latter of which to them were not as strong. And so it has proved.

Caroline didn't become MP until 2010, by which time the stadium issues were largely done and dusted (though she did make remarks that she was in favour of the stadium while she was an MEP before that).

blah blah blah

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Really............................ the Green party can afford an office, what would they do their all day???

The problem with Lucas is she is as irritating as Sturgeon, if the Green Party had someone with charisma a la the most famous Nigel ..............................Farage, they may just stand a chance of shaking UK politics up again.

Lucas is extremely dull.

Better a dull person of substance than a charismatic fool.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here