Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moments in music where you'd liked to have been a fly-on-the-wall

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have lots of these.

First up....the moment when whichever member of Rush said "what this prog rock track [spirit of radio] really really needs is a huge reggae breakdown."

What inspired this? And more importantly what we're the band member responses? Incredulity at the genius of locating the missing piece of this particular jigsaw? Or WTF? Did he have to convince the others? Or was it obvious this is what the song needed?

Hammer15

Apr 20, 2016
Montclair, NJ
There's a great bit in the Creation Records biography near the end, as the label is in freefall and Alan McGee hears Kevin Rowland's new album 'My Beauty' and convinces himself it will save the label.

Then he gets shown the cover artwork.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in that meeting.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I would have liked to have been there when every member of Steps was conceived - after enjoying the action (can flies crack one off when stuck on a ceiling?) I would have got back to my day job as a backstreet abortionist. I think I wulld have particularly enjoyed sticking that knitting needle in to young H's fledgling vocal chords.

Other than that, I would have loved to have been in the studio during the making of All Mod Cons.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Watching a Band Aid minion have to break the news to Bono that his line was going to be "Well, tonight thank God it's them instead of you."

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patreon
Jan 19, 2010
"Bruce, Rick, I know we're one of the best groups in Britain right now, but I think it's time we stopped as I want to do something different. My new project is called The Style Council, and by the way you're not in it."

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I'd be there at Stephen Morrissey's house, when the stranger Johnny Marr knocked on his door and asked if he wanted to join his band.

They chatted for an hour about Tamla 45s and Morrissey handed JM a scrap of paper with some draft lyrics. The next day they met, the first two Smiths tracks were written.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
"Yes, Paul, we really like this dirge about Scotland. *snigger* If you include bagpipes *hehe* and a kids' choir *hehehe*, we honestly think it'll be #1 for an eternity. *hahaha* Perhaps you could now write a song about frogs? *HAHAHAHA* "

Seriously? Ok - Sun studio, 4 December 1956 would have been pretty awesome...

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
When one of the members of Black Lace said "Agggh-gahh-dooh" as he stubbed his toe, and just as the other one was about to say "we can make a song out of that" I clang him in the kisser with a frying pan.

Seriously though, I'd love to have been at the Haçienda the first time the Stone Roses played in 1989. I'm not a big Indie nut, but that would have been special. At the time though I was too busy trying to pull a munter in the 'Roxy' at the end of Eastbourne pier (whilst listening to bloody 'Love Shack' by the B52's) to notice any musical revolutions.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
When one of the members of Black Lace said "Agggh-gahh-dooh" as he stubbed his toe, and just as the other one was about to say "we can make a song out of that" I clang him in the kisser with a frying pan.

Seriously though, I'd love to have been at the Haçienda the first time the Stone Roses played in 1989. I'm not a big Indie nut, but that would have been special. At the time though I was too busy trying to pull a munter in the 'Roxy' at the end of Eastbourne pier (whilst listening to bloody 'Love Shack' by the B52's) to notice any musical revolutions.

That's a very precise recollection from one particular night almost 30 years ago - or is that what you were doing every night 30 years ago? :rock: :whistle:

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
That's a very precise recollection from one particular night almost 30 years ago - or is that what you were doing every night 30 years ago? :rock: :whistle:

I'll never forget that night....

19 gorgeous birds said "hop in our Chrysler, it seats about twenny" - but they decided to leave me behind as I'd forgotten my juke box money.

Choked.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
When FreddievMercury was explaining Bohemian rhapsody to the rest of Queen "After the quite bit,I thought an Opera section would fit in quite well"

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The moment Syd Barrett rocked up to Pink Floyds recording session. Myth has it it was during "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" but that seems just a little too perfect to be true.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
The moment Syd Barrett rocked up to Pink Floyds recording session. Myth has it it was during "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" but that seems just a little too perfect to be true.

I thought that song was about Sid, or a tribute to Sid, and so would have been written and recorded after he'd left? Just asking.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I thought that song was about Sid, or a tribute to Sid, and so would have been written and recorded after he'd left? Just asking.

It was. Syd had left the band long before.....but the rumour is he randomly turned up to the studio on the day the remaining members of the band were recording the song (if not, then certainly a track from that album).

They didn't recognise who the stranger was, as by this point he was fat and bald.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
At Mama Cass' house when Crosby introduced her to Graham Nash ........ or backstage at Woodstock to see CSN's "first gig" (the latter event resulting from the former).

Yes, I'm old!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here