Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Summer spending

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
We will be getting an income best part of £120 million next season.

I think we will spend half of that on new additions and new contracts to existing player.

TB

Last edited:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
40-50 million

Just cannot see TB putting all that effort into getting up and not giving it a real good go at staying there.

This. The club are banging on about looking hard at who's succeeded in staying up and thriving in the PL. Any commentators, worth listening to, appear to favour quality over quantity. The club has the stadium, infrastructure and a respected manager with PL experience. Four maybe five good players with perhaps one 'surprising' marquee signing.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Newcastle spent over £114,000,000 and got relegated

Swansea spent £16,000,000 and stayed up.

It's not how much you spend, it's how well you spend it. I think we will spend a modest amount very well.

Indeed, it's not the size of the wand, it's how you wave it. At least, that's what I told a slightly disappointed Mrs EP on our wedding night.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
30-35m

5 recruits - GK (westwood), LB (friend), CM (cairney), Winger (ince), Striker (continental superstar)

2 loans - FB cover (tomori), Striker (abraham)

Yes I mainly watch Championship football. :shrug:

Not a bad list, although we'll need a right-footed winger, perhaps from Europe although the little I've seen of Grosicki (sp) at Hull, he looks useful and has PL experience, which is probably something we do want to look at. We'd also need another CM/DCM, with Mooy as my preference.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Middle range will be something like £60m-£90m in 2017/18.

I reckon TB will regard that as both manageable and required for us to achieve next step in the masterplan.

5 or 6 top class players. Biggest fee something like £16-20m.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Interesting looking at the three promoted clubs, who spent £169 million between the three of them.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
£25m - £30m. We need to add some real quality into the the squad. For me, 4 key positions are ST, AMC, LW and LB. All of which are likely to demand a decent fee. Add a loan or two, a couple of free transfers/bargains and i think we are set.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Burnley came within a whisker of signing Grosicki for £8 million last August until he asked us to pay off his "substantial" gambling debts - caused by a serious addiction. It will be interesting to see what happens to Grosicki if, as looks likely, Hull are relegated. We also had a £10 million bid accepted by Hull for Robertson in January, but Silva put the block on it when the player was happy to move. Now, Robertson will probably be snapped up by a "bigger" fish.

Burnley have been notorious misers/penny-pinchers for years but last season we splashed out a fair bit....Brady (£13 million), Hendrick (£10 million), Defour (£8 million), Westwood (£5 million), Gudmunsson (£3 million), Pope (£1 million).

That is £40 million and it looks like we will finish 15th/16th......maybe this will be the sort of figure the Seagulls will spend. Funnily enough, in recent games both Brady & Defour (£21 million) have been hardly-used substitutes!!

If the Grosicki & Robertson bids had gone through, you'd be looking at a cool £60 million spent by Burnley last season - although in the knowledge they'd be recouping nearly half that alone by selling Michael Keane (to Man U, Spurs, Man City, Liverpool, Everton)....take your pick.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
As the Burnley fan above says: £40 million on fees.
Bournemouth also spent roughly that amount first season up.

Factoring in sign-ons and wages, I'd guesstimate £80-100 million.
With the tv money, increased sponsorship, merchandise, gate receipts and a few player sales/loan fees that would likely see us break even in the first year. Which I imagine will be the ultimate aim.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
As the Burnley fan above says: £40 million on fees.
Bournemouth also spent roughly that amount first season up.

Factoring in sign-ons and wages, I'd guesstimate £80-100 million.
With the tv money, increased sponsorship, merchandise, gate receipts and a few player sales/loan fees that would likely see us break even in the first year. Which I imagine will be the ultimate aim.

Bournemouth spent a lot more than that in their first season in the PL, as did Watford. (see red columns in chart)

Promoted Clubs extra income & player spend.JPG

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Burnley came within a whisker of signing Grosicki for £8 million last August until he asked us to pay off his "substantial" gambling debts - caused by a serious addiction. It will be interesting to see what happens to Grosicki if, as looks likely, Hull are relegated. We also had a £10 million bid accepted by Hull for Robertson in January, but Silva put the block on it when the player was happy to move. Now, Robertson will probably be snapped up by a "bigger" fish.

Burnley have been notorious misers/penny-pinchers for years but last season we splashed out a fair bit....Brady (£13 million), Hendrick (£10 million), Defour (£8 million), Westwood (£5 million), Gudmunsson (£3 million), Pope (£1 million).

That is £40 million and it looks like we will finish 15th/16th......maybe this will be the sort of figure the Seagulls will spend. Funnily enough, in recent games both Brady & Defour (£21 million) have been hardly-used substitutes!!

If the Grosicki & Robertson bids had gone through, you'd be looking at a cool £60 million spent by Burnley last season - although in the knowledge they'd be recouping nearly half that alone by selling Michael Keane (to Man U, Spurs, Man City, Liverpool, Everton)....take your pick.

Thanks for this, and I'm glad we won't be have you offering arguments for a Stephens to Burnley move any more :smile:
Interesting what you say about Brady and Defour, but I'm more interested in what's happened to Andre Gray, who really doesn't seem to be playing much. What is Dyche's explanation for this, the general Burnley fan view, and yours?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here