Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I was there

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Was that the one where the game was touch and go whether it was going ahead due to frozen pitch?

It was cold but not frozen. The match that should have been postponed was vs Torquay on New Year's Day 1997. I seem to recall they played in trainers. Gary nelson scored a late winner for Torquay. It was a belting atmosphere as the Torquay fans were chanting to "jump up and down if you hate bill archer" just as an excuse to move. God it was cold.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I was there at the Goldstone circa 1963 watching training when the players debagged Bill Cassidy who then ran stark naked back to the changing rooms.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No argument there. We've still never been in it :thumbsup:

I don't get your point. Yes, in terms of branding we have never been in the PL or Pship. In terms of the structure and history of English football, we have been in the top flight.

I think you're Palarse in disguise. No Brighton fan would denigrate our history. That, or a pedantic tit.

Hazwaz

Jul 23, 2012
Hove
These players will go down in history,like Horton ,Ward and i bet most of you can name the rest.I went to Norwich and Villa.As well as QPR,Fulham,Brentford.Norwich we were still on a high,And Villa when we scored the penalty,wow.Alright we got a Merc instead of a porsche,but seasons like this only come round once or twice in a lifetime.When my grandchildren say were you there in 10-15 years time ,i will say yes i was.I will also be there Sunday to soak up the atmosphere that has helped the team to the Premier League for the first time ever:albion2:
And only the second time in the top division! Is what i was going to write originally (does this help with the debate)

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I don't get your point. Yes, in terms of branding we have never been in the PL or Pship. In terms of the structure and history of English football, we have been in the top flight.

I think you're Palarse in disguise. No Brighton fan would denigrate our history. That, or a pedantic tit.

It's not being pedantic, it's being accurate.

The Premier League is a breakaway from the Football League. It is its own corporate entity. The First Division we were in is part of the Football League and is now the Championship.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

The Premier League is a breakaway from the Football League. It is its own corporate entity. The First Division we were in is part of the Football League and is now the Championship.

But it wasn't really was it, the old first division became the premiership so the First Division we were in did not evolve into the championship, Division 2 evolved into the Chamiponship

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

It IS being pedantic. Football did not begin in 1992. I never said we have played in the EPL or the PL, but it is the same thing as the first division, rebranded. The same teams (the top teams, entering and leaving by promotion and relegation) play in it. The old first division is absolutely and completely not the equivalent of the Championship. That is the second tier, with teams entering and leaving it by promotion and relegation. Teams from the fisr and second tier both played in the FA cup and FL cup, and they both play in the two cups today. It does not matter if the cups are called Littlewoods, Milk, Barcklays or whatever. They are the same.

I suppose that if the big nations eventually walk away from Fifa, and create a new organization called, say, the WFL (world football league) and rebrand the world cup, and it works out, and people get used to the name WFL World Cup, with Germany no doubt winning it a few times, you'll claim we never won the world cup in 66 because it was a different corporate entity.

Indeed, I think you'll find that even BHA are now a 'different corporate entity' from when Bill Archer owned it. So does that mean we never played in the cup final?

Stop being pedantic, now. Make yourself a nice hot cup of tea and enjoy the prospect of our second time in the top flight.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I'm not denying we've been in the top flight. Just that the top flight is now the Premier League. Which is not the old First Division.

Now, I'm going to go and enjoy that cup of tea you've suggested because I can't be arsed to keep going over the same bloody thing.

Duh, same difference!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Surely the main Withdean memory is Virgo's goal against Swindon

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here