• Runners up and Stephens stays

Votes: 147 80.3%

• Total voters

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Considering we have played only 3 seasons of top tier football in the clubs 115 year existence.These seasons to come will stick in your memory for lives to come and yet, we will probably be fighting relegation.

It was four actually, although I do agree with your overall premise.

As an old codger who can remember those years, I do have the privilege of seeing LEAGUE wins at Anfield and White Hart Lane, beating United, City, Everton and Arsenal at home, and so on. We didn't beat Chelsea during our four years in the top flight because they were in the division below us during that period. OUr record during that period wasn't great, but some of the memories are.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Well clearly it is not as easy as you think as 80% disagree with you. Quite simply, the trophy will be absolutely no use to us next season (and most people won't care who won the Championship last season in a year or two). Stephens, on the other hand, will be a very important player for us next season.
Clearly most are saying that because we've already facked up.This would have been a huge trophy and probably our biggest achievement and on par or more with getting promoted in 79 and the fa cup final.

So probably our biggest coup in over 100 years of history and people think Dale Stephens is more important lol

You couldn'tmake it up !!!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Clearly most are saying that because we've already facked up.This would have been a huge trophy and probably our biggest achievement and on par or more with getting promoted in 79 and the fa cup final.

So probably our biggest coup in over 100 years of history and people think Dale Stephens is more important lol

Yes, a player who will be key to keeping us up is more important than a trophy which, while I understand your thinking, will largely be forgotten in a short space of time. But there's no point in debating as you just seem to want to ignore the arguments that don't back you up.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Yes, a player who will be key to keeping us up is more important than a trophy which, while I understand your thinking, will largely be forgotten in a short space of time. But there's no point in debating as you just seem to want to ignore the arguments that don't back you up.

There's no point playing if trophies and titles mean nothing. What the hell are the team playing for then?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Wigan have now dropped to the 3rd flight for the 2nd time since winning the FA cup only 4 years ago.

But nonetheless, they did win the FA cup!

ah! the old Wigan argument

and of course,if they hadn't won the FA Cup

they'ed still be in the premier league

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
Wigan have now dropped to the 3rd flight for the 2nd time since winning the FA cup only 4 years ago.

But nonetheless, they did win the FA cup!

And Wigan's fans have that wonderful memory to look back on now that times there are tough.

In a couple of years' time our current squad will have come and gone. Despite the wonderful achievement of promotion to the Premier League I will also (and always) remember that the Championship trophy was plucked from our grasp in the 89th minute of the last game of the 2016/17 season.

Coincidentally, I was at that FA Cup Final with a Man City supporting pal whose mate couldn't make it so I bought his ticket. Wigan were a middling team who went on an exceptional run over a few years to reach the top flight and they never expected it to last. Every Wigan fan I met said that, whatever happened at their club in the fullness of time, they would always remember winning the FA Cup for the rest of their lives. We will have to wait for another time to share that emotion.

Albion winning League 2 and League 1 was fantastic, but winning the Championship would have been the crowning achievement in our club's history.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I felt very deflated when we failed to get to be Champions. But soon got over it.

But very, very pleased about Stephens signing up. I don't get very excited about midfielders, but he impresses even me.... so guess which way I voted.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

You don't need to make it up because it's happened.

And maybe the big achievement is just achieving promotion in a division where all the pundits at the beginning of the season would have written off everybody but Newcastle, Aston Villa and Norwich, with possibly some of the other "big" clubs like Derby and Leeds getting a look in..... but not plucky little Brighton.

What we have achieved anyway this season is massive.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Let's put it another way. If the club could have paid an extra £10m pounds and won the Championship last season, would that be a good decision?
Answer - obviously! Can't believe how many people got the question wrong.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Come the first kick of a ball in the Premier League, I wouldn't care if we had got there by coming first, 2nd or the Playoffs.

I would have cared if we didn't have Stephens.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
ah! the old Wigan argument

and of course,if they hadn't won the FA Cup

they'ed still be in the premier league

Old? They only won it 4 years ago!

besides. Gaining promotion this season wa far more important than lifting a trophy that no one cares about.

I understand some of you are still suffering from missing out on winning the league this year, but it really isn't much of an issue when you consider what we have achieved this year.

I guess some fans just are never happy?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here