• Hard fought draw

Votes: 34 20.5%
  • Team Van

Votes: 26 15.7%

• Total voters

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
it always makes me smile at the number of cyclists who ride their bikes on the promenade , even over the fucoff big NO CYCLING signs splashed over the ground.

maybe they cant actually read

One of them ran over a guy by the peace statue last night as he bombed around the corner and obviously didnt see him....needless to say he cycled off shouting expletives at the people rushing to help the poor sod laying flat out

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I'm glad I wasn't the only one that cracked up at that.

I don’t see why blind bends and a 60 mph speed limit would mean that a road is dangerous to cycle on?

Although I guess if I attached a motor to my bike so that I could ride it at least 60 mph, made it about 2 m wide and at least 1,000 kg heavier, and then drove it around blind bends at 60 mph it would be potentially dangerous, particularly if there were other legitimate road users ahead of me that I can’t see or avoid because I am riding my bike too fast; but then I wouldn’t be riding my bike safely.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
it always makes me smile at the number of cyclists who ride their bikes on the promenade , even over the fucoff big NO CYCLING signs splashed over the ground.

One of them ran over a guy by the peace statue last night as he bombed around the corner and obviously didnt see him....needless to say he cycled off shouting expletives at the people rushing to help the poor sod laying flat out

Maybe cyclists cant see the signs on the ground because so many pedestrians walk in the bike lanes....maybe they cant read either.

My son was almost knocked off his bike by a skateboarder doing tricks in the bike lane approaching the pier a few weeks ago....who proceeded to give a load of verbal to us for being in his way! (even though he went across the bike lane, out of control, & with his back to us). I almost stopped and decked the prick....
There were so many people walking in it too, that I took the decision it was actually safer to ride on Madeira Drive itself.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

It amazes me that anyone would think a strip of different coloured tarmac would be a sufficient method of segregation.

Earlier I referenced Southsea, which sizewise is comparable to Brighton's prom.

Do it once, do it properly:-
dsc02795.jpg

Much of the seafront has the cycle lane actually walled in, with give way signs at all pedestrian junctions.

Still I guess we should be grateful Bristol Council didn't get a national contract:-

1407767960198_Image_galleryImage_Short_cycle_lanes.JPG.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
A couple of years ago, driving slowly south on the Hassocks - Pyecombe road, I met a couple of cyclists coming the other way, from Brighton. Perhaps they could have been a little closer to the kerb but they weren't really doing anything wrong. Behind them - and I counted - there were 67 vehicles, nose-to-tail, doing about 10mph. An ambulance with its lights going was just joining the queue as I passed the other way. I've no idea what the answer is - I don't even know what the question is - but I can't believe this sort of situation is sustainable. It would cost millions to cut a dedicated cycle lane into the road as it crosses the Downs at Clayton.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A couple of years ago, driving slowly south on the Hassocks - Pyecombe road, I met a couple of cyclists coming the other way, from Brighton. Perhaps they could have been a little closer to the kerb but they weren't really doing anything wrong. Behind them - and I counted - there were 67 vehicles, nose-to-tail, doing about 10mph. An ambulance with its lights going was just joining the queue as I passed the other way. I've no idea what the answer is - I don't even know what the question is - but I can't believe this sort of situation is sustainable. It would cost millions to cut a dedicated cycle lane into the road as it crosses the Downs at Clayton.

My rule of thumb is the smaller the car the harder it finds to overtake.

I guess that says more about the driver, but a Micra will seriously struggle to pass me, when it eventually does, the rest of the traffic just sail through.
Sadly I have no doubt who's to blame for the holdup. :down:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
No idea why the bellend cyclist has to take up so much space. Obviously being a prick.

Van driver is also an idiot.

No sympathy for either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simple answer,show some patience (although it may have been the 3rd or 4th cyclist the van passed for all we know) and when safely passed,drive on and continue with your journey..

I do however drive a lorry far a living and well that's how i'd do it.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Team van

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
It amazes me that anyone would think a strip of different coloured tarmac would be a sufficient method of segregation.

Earlier I referenced Southsea, which sizewise is comparable to Brighton's prom.

Do it once, do it properly:-

Not quite properly - motorists that have parked adjacent to the lane have no choice but to open their doors into the lane, and I've lost count of the number of tourist families that decant from their vehicle and stand in the path of oncoming cyclists.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here