• Team Van

Votes: 26 15.7%

• Total voters

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've watched it ten times. He raises his arm as the van passes too close / turns in - and yes, his raised arm would offer no protection at all, but that's why I typed 'instinctively'. The driver is a complete moron, anyone attempting to justify his actions not far behind.

So derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr are you calling me a moron.

Clearly not, unless you were driving the van? If you think there is ANY legitimate justification for his actions, you can put yourself in the 'not far behind' category, though.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
People who call it tax are the people who call it road tax rather than emissions tax, so yes, they are effing stupid.

I generally call it car tax :shrug:

As in, "I'm going to the post office to pay my car tax"

I don't think I've ever called it road tax.

I feel ashamed now :down:

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
People who call it tax are the people who call it road tax rather than emissions tax, so yes, they are effing stupid.

You can purchase it online now so why would you go to the Post Office how effing stupid of you. :lolol:

Oh and as we are the ones paying it we can call it whatever we effing like!

In 70-80 yrs when all the fossil fuel has been depleted we will be calling it effing something else TAX. :facepalm:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
You can purchase it online now so why would you go to the Post Office how effing stupid of you. :lolol:

:

I'm a bit old fashioned. I still have a tax disc in the window of my car too, it's out of date, a bit like me.

When I was a Transport Manager (up until December last year), we always called it "renewing the tax disc". This took into account the fact that some of the fleet were exempt from paying the tax (because of the facilities that they provided for disabled people).

And then they abolished the disc.

Doesn't life get complicated?

You can purchase it online now so why would you go to the Post Office how effing stupid of you?
Maybe because, like me, Superphil lives in a rural community and supporting your local Post Office helps keep the village shop open?

That way, you can cycle to somewhere nearby to purchase a bottle of milk and a newspaper, rather than jump into a car and drive five miles to the nearest Tesco.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Maybe because, like me, Superphil lives in a rural community and supporting your local Post Office helps keep the village shop open?

That way, you can cycle to somewhere nearby to purchase a bottle of milk and a newspaper, rather than jump into a car and drive five miles to the nearest Tesco.

I like the satire but I too live in a rural area a good few miles from a village or town, cycling is an option but not advisable as the country lanes and roads are very dangerous.

Tesco is too far away but we do have a CO-OP.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom

I think you're being deliberately obtuse, you rascal! You know what I meant. Of course it's a tax and whatever you want to call it is your own choice.

My point, as I think you know, was that invariably the people who call it road tax are the ones who use it as a stick to beat cyclists with, when anyone with half a brain knows that ALL tax payers pay for the maintenance (or lack of it) of the highway system.

I like the satire but I too live in a rural area a good few miles from a village or town, cycling is an option but not advisable as the country lanes and roads are very dangerous.

Tesco is too far away but we do have a CO-OP.

Among the things that are dangerous out our way are:-

1) the fact that the edges of our narrow rural roads are full of potholes, thanks to heavy tractors damaging the verges; and

2) the failure of the Highways Agency to complete the cycle lane that runs alongside the A27.

That said, I do remember that when my kids were little, they used to cycle to the local primary school - a journey that involved crossing the A27 trunk road. Somehow they managed this, because we made sure that they had a thorough understanding of the road safety issues involved.

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
I hate video footage like this it does not show it from the start.

Example i once got sent of on the football field for punching a player, because the ref saw me what the ref didn't apparently see was the regular digs with the opposing players elbows all match and then when the said player hit me first he was always going to get a punish:

You can' fully judge unless you see the whole picture, this is clearly not the whole picture.

People have thresholds and just maybe the cyclist pushed the van driver over his, after the cyclist was a tw*t for clearly being an arse driving in the middle section of the road then there was no need to.

Goad someone and expect the consequence or just don't do it.

Is death a fair consequence of goading someone?

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Among the things that are dangerous out our way are:-

1) the fact that the edges of our narrow rural roads are full of potholes, thanks to heavy tractors damaging the verges; and

2) the failure of the Highways Agency to complete the cycle lane that runs alongside the A27.

That said, I do remember that when my kids were little, they used to cycle to the local primary school - a journey that involved crossing the A27 trunk road. Somehow they managed this, because we made sure that they had a thorough understanding of the road safety issues involved.

Same with us really the B526 has too many blind bends to make it entirely safe for cycling that and the national speed limit

and the odd cow straying out in the road which happened to me last year bloody terrifying.

P.S. Most agricultural vehicles are exempt from Vehicle tax.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Blind bends and national speed limit.

Cyclists don't cycle faster than the national speed limit, more a steady and safe 15 to 20 mph, and even if they did they would slow down at blind bends to a safe speed.

Blind bends and national speed limit.

... and the state of the road edges (as I've already said).

Cyclists would be crazy to keep to the extreme left of the road I live in (which is the only available route for cyclists riding between the end of the Lewes - Firle cycle lane and Polegate, other than the incredibly dangerous section of the A27 itself, which has been discussed on NSC many times before).

I've also known cyclists who do keep left along our road being knocked off their bikes by overhanging branches.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
... and the state of the road edges (as I've already said).

Cyclists would be crazy to keep to the extreme left of the road I live in (which is the only available route for cyclists riding between the end of the Lewes - Firle cycle lane and Polegate, other than the incredibly dangerous section of the A27 itself, which has been discussed on NSC many times before).

I've also known cyclists who do keep left along our road being knocked off their bikes by overhanging branches.

I have the same problem. Three routes now available between Newhaven and Lewes.

1) The A26 - narrow, lots of potholes right across the road, very busy, lots of lorries.
2) The C7 - narrow, lots of potholes on the edges of the road, very busy.
3) New shared use path by the river (Egret's Way) - made of gravel (guaranteed punctures on a road bike) numerous gates (so no use unless you're on a Sunday afternoon aimless pootle), stray dogs, sheep and cattle, pedestrians.

The C7 is the best option at the moment but it's pretty awful.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Very lucky that there was a following vehicle with a dash cam .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here