Votes: 106 63.9%
  • Hard fought draw

Votes: 34 20.5%
  • Team Van

Votes: 26 15.7%

• Total voters

D

Deleted member 2719

I've watched it ten times. He raises his arm as the van passes too close / turns in - and yes, his raised arm would offer no protection at all, but that's why I typed 'instinctively'. The driver is a complete moron, anyone attempting to justify his actions not far behind.

So derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr are you calling me a moron.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If that were the case, and the driver were to be found guilty, sadly we'd need considerably more prisons.

We need to improve our economy post Brexit, more prisons could be a win win. Construction projects, then ongoing servicing of prison, bringing employment for many years to come. Also a plus on pollution with more drivers removed from the roads.

Surprised the Tories haven't promised to be tough on crime with a pledge to build a dozen new prisons

Watch it again, the arm is raised before he turns in, to say you could protect yourself with an outstretched arm from 1.5 Tonnes of van is what's nonsense, i would suggest it impossible.
The cyclist could have swerved with his hands on the handlebars and then arguably the van man may not have swerved at him.

Let's face it cycling on major roads is frigging dangerous why make it worse by trying to wind up the motorist behind you.

Even if a motorist is wound up by another road user, there is no excuse for trying to kill the other road user. The van driver knew what he was doing. Or, if he didn't, he should never drive again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe there is such a thing as bad publicity for Vidette UK Ltd.

[tweet]861980335936077824[/tweet]

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Don't be ridiculous. Cyclists pay taxes, the same as everyone else. Income tax, VAT and National Insurance contributions, Council Tax. All go into the pot that pays for road maintenance. The Level of spending is, of course, controlled by the government who, if you haven't noticed, want to see LESS money spent on keeping the roads in good order.
We all pay those regardless if you use the roads or not.

They don't pay the Road fund licence tax ( not the old road tax you all keep harping on about) they don't pay VAT on fuel so its not a level playing field

D

Deleted member 2719

Even if a motorist is wound up by another road user, there is no excuse for trying to kill the other road user. The van driver knew what he was doing. Or, if he didn't, he should never drive again.

I totally agree, but if you wind the wrong person up with a death weapon in his hands you are playing Russian roulette.

The hand is utterly irrelevent. The cyclist could have put both up and played bongos on the side of the van, it is still illegal and wrong to shunt another road user off of the road.

I am sure there is a local law against playing bongos on a van while cycling no handed and if there isn't it's about bloody time there was. punk:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Team bike. And I drive a van.
The van driver is a complete lunatic, he could have killed the cyclist, hopefully he will be banned from driving.
Far too many idiots on the road that are in a hurry, and using phones to distract them.
I actually hate driving these days but have to because of my trade.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
read the highway code, cyclists are recommended to ride two abreast in certain circumstances, it shortens the time taken to overtake, and means the overtaker has to give appropriate room for the manouver. Riding single file quite often means drivers try to overtake when there is not room to do so. You should give a similar amount of room to overtaking a car.

That explains the two tossers riding side by side on the A264 at the weekend, going no more than 10 miles an hour whilst in the middle of a 70mph road. But I'm sure it would've been the fault of a car driver had they had an accident...

#cyclistlogic

We all pay those regardless if you use the roads or not.

They don't pay the Road fund licence tax ( not the old road tax you all keep harping on about) they don't pay VAT on fuel so its not a level playing field

And I don't any longer pay the duty on cigarettes. Should I stop using the NHS?

My use of the word "ridiculous" to describe the counter-arguments that are flying around in this thread is looking more and more accurate.

And it's STILL not a road fund licence. It's Vehicle Excise Duty, which isn't intended to create a level playing field. It's intended to penalise ownership of high-pollution vehicles and reward people who use low-emission cars and zero-emission vehicles, like bicycles.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
That explains the two tossers riding side by side on the A264 at the weekend, going no more than 10 miles an hour whilst in the middle of a 70mph road. But I'm sure it would've been the fault of a car driver had they had an accident...

#cyclistlogic

In that case they are in the wrong, like everything you have to take account of the road conditions, but equally if you pass them at 70mph close enough for the wind to cause them to swerve and come off- its you who is the tosser!

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Yes Rule 66 of the Highway code but it also states that cyclists should ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding around bends. It is perfectly legal for cyclists to ride side by side on most roads. It may however be sensible to cycle in single file on narrow roads or where a car is attempting to overtake. It really should be common courtesy by all road users sadly it's rarely the case on both sides.

couldn't agree more, we all have to be considerate to each other, sadly as you quite rightly say, in some cases (on both sides) that is sadly lacking

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
In that case they are in the wrong, like everything you have to take account of the road conditions, but equally if you pass them at 70mph close enough for the wind to cause them to swerve and come off- its you who is the tosser!

By your logic, people could just walk down the motorway and it would be the drivers' mistake if the walker got hurt.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
By your logic, people could just walk down the motorway and it would be the drivers' mistake if the walker got hurt.

This theory changes if one drives in the rural areas..

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
As someone who is still recovering five months on after a motorcyclist T-bond me at a junction and rode his bike in to my leg. Causing a pelvic fracture and my knee to be reconstructed, The guy in the van is an utter utter rsehole. What happen to me was a genuine accident, the motorcyclist admit liability, despite being lit up like a Christmas tree he did not see me.

Just having that happen, has caused me immense pain, depression, five months off work and I am not sure if I will ever be able to walk normally again. So where I agree some cyclists do them selves no favours, when the people who think the van driver is in the right are driving their cars, just think of the damage your car can do to a cyclist, even if you only clip them.

Plus I missed a lot of matches of probably the best season in Albions history. That pissed me off the most.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
As someone who is still recovering five months on after a motorcyclist T-bond me at a junction and rode his bike in to my leg. Causing a pelvic fracture and my knee to be reconstructed, The guy in the van is an utter utter rsehole. What happen to me was a genuine accident, the motorcyclist admit liability, despite being lit up like a Christmas tree he did not see me.

Just having that happen, has caused me immense pain, depression, five months off work and I am not sure if I will ever be able to walk normally again. So where I agree some cyclists do them selves no favours, when the people who think the van driver is in the right are driving their cars, just think of the damage your car can do to a cyclist, even if you only clip them.

Plus I missed a lot of matches of probably the best season in Albions history. That pissed me off the most.

All the best in your recovery fella.

I am of course team Cyclist in this, I really feel like there's fault on both sides but there's no question at all that the van driver's actions are petty, unnecessary and dangerous. He lost his head completely, he's paid a harsh price. But I don't think this warrants Chris Boardman getting involved, it's getting more media attention than it deserves but if he's using it as an opportunity to get some national attention to protecting cyclists then it's worth his time.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

what a ridiculous thing to say, pedestrians aren't allowed on motorways, cyclists are allowed on roads, if you are driving you look out for whats in front of you don't you? And I said in this case the cyclists were wrong for riding two abreast , BUT it is still the responsibility of the driver to see what's in front and take appropriate action.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
One is a cyclist, the other is using a lethal weapon with intent to harm and should get a custodial sentence.
#spaceforcycling

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here