Team Bike or Team Van

• Team Bike

Votes: 106 63.9%
  • Hard fought draw

Votes: 34 20.5%
  • Team Van

Votes: 26 15.7%

• Total voters

It's a stretch of single carriageway road with double white lines. That means "No overtaking".

It's also incredibly dangerous for cyclists to keep hard to the left on roads in rural areas. Have you not seen the state of road maintenance these days? Verges have collapsed, potholes are everywhere. Cyclists fall off their bikes if they keep too far to the left. Sussex roads are particularly bad.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No it doesn't. You are allowed to overtake a slow moving vehicle (e.g. Tractor/Bike etc) on double white lines.

WRONG. You can overtake ONLY if the bike you are overtaking is doing 10mph or less. Rule 129.

Pretty clear the bikes on this footage are going faster than 10mph.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
It's a stretch of single carriageway road with double white lines. That means "No overtaking".

It's also incredibly dangerous for cyclists to keep hard to the left on roads in rural areas. Have you not seen the state of road maintenance these days. Verges have collapsed, potholes are everywhere. Cyclists fall off their bikes if they keep too far to the left. Sussex roads are particularly bad.

Well maybe if the cyclists contributed to the up keep of the roads like the tax paying motorist then they might be a whole lot safer on them.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Chief inspector Ian Vincent, Cycle Task Force, said:
"There is no specific Metropolitan police service guidance on cycle safety. We refer cyclists to the Highway Code and Transport for London's (TfL) cycling safely page, which recommends cyclists ride assertively, away from the gutter. If the road is too narrow for vehicles to pass you safely, it may be better to ride in the middle of the lane to prevent dangerous overtaking."

Duncan Pickering, cycling manager at road safety charity the Institute of Advanced Motoring (IAM), said:

"A bicycle is a vehicle on the road and a person riding it has the right to act like any other person on the road.We all hear of cases where someone gets too close to the left and there are very unfortunate consequences if a lorry driver doesn't see them.'Some motorists think it is a divine right to be moving at whatever speed they want and a cyclist is holding them up. I'm afraid it is tough if a cyclist holds them up. In most urban areas traffic moves slowly so a cyclist doesn't hold up traffic."

Highway Code doesn't mention cyclists 'taking a lane', but Rule 163 does clearly state a vehicle overtaking a bike or horse must give it as much room as they would another vehicle.

If as Mr. Duncan Pickering states that a bicycle is a vehicle on the road then cyclists should contribute via taxes the same way any other vehicle uses has to.

Well maybe if the cyclists contributed to the up keep of the roads like the tax paying motorist then they might be a whole lot safer on them.

Don't be ridiculous. Cyclists pay taxes, the same as everyone else. Income tax, VAT and National Insurance contributions, Council Tax. All go into the pot that pays for road maintenance. The Level of spending is, of course, controlled by the government who, if you haven't noticed, want to see LESS money spent on keeping the roads in good order.

D

Deleted member 2719

I hate video footage like this it does not show it from the start.

Example i once got sent of on the football field for punching a player, because the ref saw me what the ref didn't apparently see was the regular digs with the opposing players elbows all match and then when the said player hit me first he was always going to get a punish:

You can' fully judge unless you see the whole picture, this is clearly not the whole picture.

People have thresholds and just maybe the cyclist pushed the van driver over his, after the cyclist was a tw*t for clearly being an arse driving in the middle section of the road then there was no need to.

Goad someone and expect the consequence or just don't do it.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Both are pair of tw**s on this occasion!

But I'm on the side of the motorist in general the :censored: times cyclists ride two a breast they take the p**s and its :censored: dangerous!

But perfectly legal.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Van, the bike is in the middle of the bloody road.
He should be nicely tucked into the side, so that the van could pass illegally, but oh no had to keep in the middle of the road, tit.

Just added a crucial word to your sentence there.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Don't be ridiculous. Cyclists pay taxes, the same as everyone else. Income tax, VAT and National Insurance contributions, Council Tax. All go into the pot that pays for road maintenance. The Level of spending is, of course, controlled by the government who, if you haven't noticed, want to see LESS money spent on keeping the roads in good order.

But the fact still remains the cyclist pays nothing via the road tax system, we all pay Income tax, VAT and National insurance. Ridiculous back at you sir!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If as Mr. Duncan Pickering states that a bicycle is a vehicle on the road then cyclists should contribute via taxes the same way any other vehicle uses has to.

Tell me how much Vehicle Excise Duty an electric car pays?

How much VED any vehicle emitting less than 100g/km pays?

Then get back to me.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
But the fact still remains the cyclist pays nothing via the road tax system, we all pay Income tax, VAT and National insurance. Ridiculous back at you sir!

What about a cyclist who also owns a car?

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Erm
Not a massive fan of cyclists on the road at times but can't really defend a man driving someone off the road. Clearly this has prob been going on for longer than the clip and he maybe to central but it's clearly a no over taking area, he is above 10mph and the van should be patient and wait for a safe area to overtake.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No it doesn't. You are allowed to overtake a slow moving vehicle (e.g. Tractor/Bike etc) on double white lines.

Only if the bike is going less than 10mph.

My other half measures his rides on Garmin and very often achieves speeds of over 35 mph. The cyclist is approaching a left hand bend, isn't going slow and is entitled to be in the middle of the lane. There could be potholes, drains or other hazards nearer the kerb.
The van driver is impatient as he only has to wait another few moments to get to a safe place to overtake. The van driver also tries to kill the cyclist.

As an addition, the company have contacted BBC Sussex, to say the van driver has been identified and sacked.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here