Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Capped energy bills, WTF Theresa...

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Yep. Grammar Schools. NHS. National Insurance. The Tory Triple Tax Lock.

She's been scuppered by her back benchers on these issues and has had to do U-turns. She wants a bigger majority to get these things through. Brexit is a smoke screen and providing political opportunity for her.

She'll get in, I just hope, somehow cling to a hope she doesn't increase her majority by much.

Fox hunting as well.

_95976433_mirror.jpg

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/fox-hunt-masters-secretly-mobilising-10383202

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Yep. Grammar Schools. NHS. National Insurance. The Tory Triple Tax Lock.

She's been scuppered by her back benchers on these issues and has had to do U-turns. She wants a bigger majority to get these things through. Brexit is a smoke screen and providing political opportunity for her.

She'll get in, I just hope, somehow cling to a hope she doesn't increase her majority by much.

The country needs to vote tactically to keep the damage to a minimum, just not sure whether enough will.

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
Why don't you just back her policies if that is who you back. Is your only argument always a comparison!?
At 54 I pride myself as not being pigeon holed into being a voter for a specific party just because I have a social, economic or ethical tradition that I cannot deviate from no matter what.

In a general election I have only voted Conservative twice (2010 and 2015).... so actually I will do as I normally do, read the manifestos.... then decide.

As for May, at the moment the case is strong for continuity in my view... but who knows, 4 weeks to go.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
In your not so humble opinion of course.

A one party state is bad news whoever is in. The Tories haven't had a decent majority in 30 years, and we all know where that ended up

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
At 54 I pride myself as not being pigeon holed into being a voter for a specific party just because I have a social, economic or ethical tradition that I cannot deviate from no matter what.

In a general election I have only voted Conservative twice (2010 and 2015).... so actually I will do as I normally do, read the manifestos.... then decide.

As for May, at the moment the case is strong for continuity in my view... but who knows, 4 weeks to go.

:lolol:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

The only continuity we are seeing right now is the continued war on foreigners, and her ability to U turn for everything else

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Can't say I've really bothered to look into the details of this idea yet - but as soon as I heard British Gas saying it's a bad idea, it seemed pretty much certain to be a good one. When do companies like that care about anything unless it harms their bottom line?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Here we go the latest popularist policy which will ultimately only do damage to long term investment. reduce competition and have the reverse effect.

This isn't a Tory government, its a Theresa May government. Really hard to know what she represents, constantly changes her mind on everything. No conviction at all in my book

A different gripe every day. I get it, you loathe May, shame the opposition are sh1te.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
A different gripe every day. I get it, you loathe May, shame the opposition are sh1te.

Yes Corbyn is sh1t, but the Tories would be calling him a commie if he came up with this idea (like they did to Milliband in the last election)

Peteinblack

NSC Patreon
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Yes Corbyn is sh1t, but the Tories would be calling him a commie if he came up with this idea (like they did to Milliband in the last election)

This ^.

The brazen hypocrisy of the Tories never ceases to astonish.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Can't say I've really bothered to look into the details of this idea yet - but as soon as I heard British Gas saying it's a bad idea, it seemed pretty much certain to be a good one. When do companies like that care about anything unless it harms their bottom line?

Indeed. The energy companies have taken the pee for far too long. They constantly plead poverty and that their large increases in charges are for ongoing investment but look at their profits !

I've no idea if price capping is the way to reform the industry but reform is required and both Labour and the Tories appear to be at least scratching the surface in their promises. People rightly deride the rise in people needing food banks, there are far more people in fuel poverty and the utilities required for even a basic level of living are far far too expensive. It needs a radical approach to deal with this. Maybe child benefit, winter fuel allowance and free bus passes should be scrapped and instead every adult in the UK gets a set amount of 'free' water, electricity and gas each month ?

D

Deleted member 22389

It's bloody exhausting isn't it. What I did find funny was Labour, and their new policy of giving everyone free hospital parking, UKIP already had that one down years ago.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is good - https://www.theguardian.com/global/...-inspectors-book-dismembered?CMP=share_btn_fb

Worth noting the authors but it's a pretty factual opinion piece.

what an oxymoron... and its much more opinion than factual. the core premise, that the state is shrinking to lowest level under the Conservatives, ignores it was lower for two periods under the last Labour governement (about 34% of GDP in 2002, 34.5% in 2008). more generally overlooks the real problem, the massive cost of welfare and unfunded state pension, health, and education competing for state funding. no party is offing to increase general taxation by 5-10% to pay for all the things we apparently want, so here we are.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Indeed. The energy companies have taken the pee for far too long. They constantly plead poverty and that their large increases in charges are for ongoing investment but look at their profits !

I've no idea if price capping is the way to reform the industry but reform is required and both Labour and the Tories appear to be at least scratching the surface in their promises. People rightly deride the rise in people needing food banks, there are far more people in fuel poverty and the utilities required for even a basic level of living are far far too expensive. It needs a radical approach to deal with this. Maybe child benefit, winter fuel allowance and free bus passes should be scrapped and instead every adult in the UK gets a set amount of 'free' water, electricity and gas each month ?

Government fixing pricing doesn't work, as those around in the 1970s will be able to confirm.

The imposition of a tariff across the industry removes any competition as the unit price is fixed at the cap by all suppliers. There is no incentive for investment, so this gets pulled back. This is not a good time for drastically reducing investment as the country should be moving away from carbon based energy production.

The only way to improve pricing is to have greater competition between the suppliers, and also to make it more easy and simple to switch suppliers, Many people already do look around and switch suppliers, but there is still a resistance/reluctance to change which needs to be overcome.

Hopefully the voters will see through this gimmick.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Blinkers, you say?

2013 - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ing-energy-prices-boosting-minimum-wage-.html

"'The lights will go out over Britain': Shares in energy firms drop 5% amid warnings of blackouts from Miliband's plan to freeze bills."

2017 - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa...ilies-100-year-capping-rip-energy-prices.html

"Theresa May vows to save families £100 a year by capping `rip off´ energy prices."
So what you're saying, is that you're no more blinkered than the Daily Mail.

Fair enough, that's some standard you hold yourself to.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here